18 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hey everybody. I will be booking our flights tonight for my trip to Japan to bring my fiancee back with me. I have a couple of questions about the POE process.

1. Will a two hour layover give us enough time to go through immigration on a late Saturday afternoon?

2. I have read about people having problems in Detroit. We will need to switch planes there. Does anybody know if Detroit is still a bad POE location?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't know about question 1, but according to stats on VJ, Detroit is a good POE:

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/poestats.php?history=90

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Detoit was my husband's POE and it was a very easy, very friendly experience. I think 2 hours would be enough, but maybe to be on the safe side, plan for longer (espeically since your luggage also has to go through customs at the first POE).

Have fun!

I don't know about question 1, but according to stats on VJ, Detroit is a good POE:

I just looked at that link and... Harassment level?? :huh: JFK, the POE we figure my fiance will have since I live in NY, has the 2nd highest harassment level on that list. :unsure:

8/10/08:

---seperated---

K-1 highlights (more details in profile):

11/24/06: NOA1 (Day 3)

12/19/06: NOA2 (Day 28)

2/28/07: Interview: approved! (Day 99)

4/15/07: Married, in a noreaster (Day 146)

AOS highlights (more details in profile, too):

6/20/07: AOS, EAD, and AP mailed

6/26/07: NOA1 (Day 6)

7/14/07: Biometrics (Day 24)

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

7/27/07: RFE response received, processing resumed (Day 37)

8/14/07: AOS transferred to CSC (Day 45)

8/21/07: CSC received/is processing AOS (Day 52)

8/29/07: Welcome notice mailed! (Day 60)

8/31/07: Card production ordered! (Day 62)

9/11/07: Greencard in hand! (Day 73)

Note to self: lifting of conditions: May 25th, 2009

Timeline

I just looked at that link and... Harassment level?? :huh: JFK, the POE we figure my fiance will have since I live in NY, has the 2nd highest harassment level on that list. :unsure:

Oh dear. Relax... :) 0 is the slowest grade and it has a 1.something average... Also, JFK is the only POE that could give him a temp EAD.

Timeline (incompleta)

Oh dear. Relax... :)

:lol::lol::lol: Reading that cracked me up. LOL thanks, and sorry if I come across as... whatever I might come across as. I got told that the last time I hung around here, too. :blush::lol:

JFK also is tied for the most votes, so the more people voting, the more people are gonna say they had some problem. I'm glad the temp EAD thing is still around like it was when I hung around here in January, he and I are kinda hoping that'll happen for us. But, yeah, one step at a time, and I don't care if he gets it as long as he gets HERE. :lol:

8/10/08:

---seperated---

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

Filed: Other Timeline
Hey everybody. I will be booking our flights tonight for my trip to Japan to bring my fiancee back with me. I have a couple of questions about the POE process.

1. Will a two hour layover give us enough time to go through immigration on a late Saturday afternoon?

2. I have read about people having problems in Detroit. We will need to switch planes there. Does anybody know if Detroit is still a bad POE location?

Thanks!

1. It can be enough, it can't be enough. Get into Detroit together with a few other international flights and you've lost your connection. Get seats as far in front of the plane as possible and it can be that you are past immigrations in 5 minutes.

2. My experience shows that most people who have problems caused the problems themselves by having a bad attitude or something like that. Just relax, calm down and realize that the guy or the lady at the computer is also a human who is there to protect the border and to keep unwanted individuals outside of the country. Then everything will be fine.

Be prepared that they will process your fiancee after you. Don't expect that you can assist her in any way or that you can stay at her side.

Markus - Las Vegas, NV

32821198.gif

Timeline
Oh dear. Relax... :) 0 is the slowest grade and it has a 1.something average... Also, JFK is the only POE that could give him a temp EAD.

Gee. Slowest grade? I'm the slow one here. Lowest, d'oh.

Oh dear. Relax... :)

:lol::lol::lol: Reading that cracked me up. LOL thanks, and sorry if I come across as... whatever I might come across as. I got told that the last time I hung around here, too. :blush::lol:

JFK also is tied for the most votes, so the more people voting, the more people are gonna say they had some problem. I'm glad the temp EAD thing is still around like it was when I hung around here in January, he and I are kinda hoping that'll happen for us. But, yeah, one step at a time, and I don't care if he gets it as long as he gets HERE. :lol:

The process may turn bad, but all in all it's quite easy and people tend to worry too much. I thought I had a job as a full-time worrier, but you actually beat me! Let's hope he can get an EAD. But yeah, getting him there is what matters :)

Timeline (incompleta)

Gee. Slowest grade? I'm the slow one here. Lowest, d'oh.

Pfft, I didn't even pick that up. Who's slower now? :P:lol:

The process may turn bad, but all in all it's quite easy and people tend to worry too much. I thought I had a job as a full-time worrier, but you actually beat me! Let's hope he can get an EAD. But yeah, getting him there is what matters :)

:lol: You should've seen me when I was here back in January. I had just gotten over being sick for 3 months, my nerves were shot, and I wasn't working. At least now I work 7.5 hours per day, so that doesn't leave much time for worrying. ;)

The biggest thing I'm still worried about is whether or not I can get myself as his sole sponsor without a problem... but Laurel Scott, that immigration attorney that has free chats on Wednesdays, said she (he?) can answer my questions about it tomorrow. The chat just-so-happens to be at noon, when my lunch break is, and I convinced my boss to let me use her computer (the only one in the office with internet access, guess they don't want us buying stuff on Ebay when the phones are slow :lol: ) for it. So, that'll help settle my worries about it.

Other than worrying, I'm also good at getting posts off topic! :blush::lol:

8/10/08:

---seperated---

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Pray for good weather. My POE was Detroit and when I arrived from Tokyo there was an electrical storm. This prevents luggage from being unloaded as the workers are not allowed on the tarmac during storms. The whole time you are at the POE you will not be able to use any cell phones for any reason until you're past customs. They are VERY strick about that, no matter how long it takes to get past customs. All in all though I was through customs in about two hours though only to find my connecting flight was canceled. I won’t leave any comments here about that ordeal as I don’t want to use any bad language.

Edited by Clare-n-Lisa

K-1 - Timeline:

08/01/2005 - First met Lisa on the Internet

05/25/2006 - Flew to Guangzhou to meet my Sweetheart

06/21/2006 - Returned to America

07/05/2006 - sent I-129F to Nebraska Service Center

07/07/2006 - Transfered to California Service Center

07/11/2006 - NOA1

07/15/2006 - Touched

07/18/2006 - Check Cleared at Bank.

09/18/2006 - Touched

09/18/2006 - NOA2 Approved

09/19/2006 - Touched

09/21/2006 - NOA2 Received in Mail

09/28/2006 - NVC Received Petition and Assigned Case Number GUZ2006xxxxxx

10/05/2006 - Shipped to Guangzhou

11/20/2006 - Still not in Guangzhou, ya right.

12/29/2006 - Packet 3, sheeesh about time.

02/08/2007 - Packet 4

03/29/2007 - Interview

03/29/2007 - Pink Slip

04/04/2007 - Visa

04/15/2007 - Arriving America. POE Detroit, MI

06/06/2007 - Wedding

10/16/2007 - Green Card

115556592198128.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Stinger157,

We entered at JFK and I know that different POE are, well, different.

I had been advised by a passport control agent at JFK that "if she's your fiance, you can take her wherever you want!" and that's just what I did. I stood at her side through the entire entry process -- and we entered on through a USC line since it was faster.

All the government people we interacted with were friendly, and some had a sense of humor.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks!

My fiance was visiting via Detroit and they treated him like the Taliban. Stripped him down to his boxers and looked at his computer hard drive. They eventually let hom in though. This was not a K1 Visa entry though.

March 9 - filed I-129F to Nebraska

March 15 - NOA#1

June 1 - transferred to CSC

July 11 - IMBRA RFE back with CSC

August 3 - NOA#2

August 6 - touched

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks!

Hey!!! Detroit was a great POE for my husband! Nothing to worry about. They didn't even ask him any questions, just made jokes about getting married :D The worst that happened was my husband got his German sausage taken away from him :lol: He was so upset! As long as you aren't bringing any foreign meats into the country you shouldn't have a problem!!

Diana

My Timeline

K1

01/09/06- pakage sent to NSC

01/11/06- NOA1

03/16/06- NOA2 approved!!!

04/03/06- arrived at NVC

04/04/06- left NVC

04/08/06- received packet 3

04/11/06- sent packet 3 to Frankfurt

04/26/06- received packet 4

05/23/06- INTERVIEW at 9:30amAPPROVED!!!!

06/01/06- visa in hand!!!

06/08/06- married in Vegas!!!

AOS/EAD

06/24/06- sent AOS and EAD package to Chicago

06/27/06- Chicago receives package

06/30/06- NOA1

07/03/06- NOA1 received in the mail

07/17/06- biometrics appt. received in mail

07/25/06- biometrics in cleveland

08/30/06- case received at CSC

08/31/06- received a new NOA1 email

09/01/06- touched AOS

09/15/06- AOS APPROVED!! got email saying welcome letter was sent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09/20/06- welcome letter received!!! and approval email sent

09/21/06- touched and GREENCARD RECEIVED!!!!!

06/08/07- one year anniversary

06/08/08- two year anniversary

06/08/09- three year anniversary

Removal of Conditions

06/17/08- package sent to California

06/19/08- California receives package

06/19/08-NOA1

06/28/08-Biometrics appointment

07/28/08-touched

09/01/08-received non conditional green card

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I personally would get more time for the layover. Last time I went through JFK the Immigration stuff was easy, our bags took forever then I had to go check back in at Delta and it took 2 hours to get my tickets and go through the security line and that was on a Thursday.

I gave my fiance 5 hours in JFK just in case- we don't want him to miss the flight.

Good luck,

Sarah

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thanks!

Hey!!! Detroit was a great POE for my husband! Nothing to worry about. They didn't even ask him any questions, just made jokes about getting married :D The worst that happened was my husband got his German sausage taken away from him :lol: He was so upset! As long as you aren't bringing any foreign meats into the country you shouldn't have a problem!!

Diana

Hahahaha he tried to bring sausages! Awesome!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.