mayfranx

AOS Application and Interview Tips

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just had my AOS interview last December 28, and I'm glad to say that my application was approved. I received my greencard in the mail a week later.

My timeline is as follows:

09/26/05 - Applied for Adjustment of Status (AOS)

09/30/05 - Notice of Action 1

10/20/05 - Received Fingerprint Notification schedule

11/07/05 - Biometrics appointment

11/24/05 - Received AOS interview schedule

12/28/05 - AOS interview (approved); EAD application denied

01/05/06 - Greencard received

Anyway, just wanna share with you guys my experience and some tips about the AOS application process. Here goes...

Adjustment of Status to Permanent Legal Resident

- First things first: if you're on a K-1 visa, get married within 90 days of your arrival in the US. You can't apply for AOS unless you marry your fiance since your eligibility is based on marriage to a US citizen.

- Documents to be submitted with the AOS package:

1. Form I-485, with two (2) Passport-style Photos of Intending Immigrant

2. Money order payment of $385 for Adjustment of Status and Biometric Fees (Ray Bacon recommends to have separate money order payments for the AOS, $325, and biometrics, $70)

3. Copy of Intending Immigrant's Birth Certificate

4. Copy of Intending Immigrant's Passport (biographic page and visa)

5. I-693 Vaccination Supplement Form (in sealed envelope)

6. Copy of U.S. Department of State Vaccination Document recieved at K-1 medical examination

7. Form G-325 A of Intending Immigrant and U.S. Citizen Spouse

8. Copy of Intending Immigrant's Valid Form I-94

9.Copy of I-797 Notice of Action, Approval Notice

10. Copy of Marriage Certificate

11. Copy of U.S. Citizen Spouse's U.S. Passport

12. Copy of U.S. Citizen Spouse's Birth Certificate

13. Two (2) Passport-Type Photos of the U.S. Citizen Spouse

14. Form I-864, Affidavit of Support

15. Employment Verification Letter/Bank Statements

16. Copies of w2 and Income Tax Returns for 2004, 2003 and 2002

17. Form I-765 and accompanying money order payment of $180, with Two (2) Passport-style Photos of Intending Immigrant (optional... you need not submit this with your AOS application)

- Apply for the Employment Authorization Document (Form I-765) only if you want to work right away. In my case, it was just a waste of money since the USCIS didn't issue my EAD anymore coz my greencard is approved within 90 days from date of application.

- Get a Td shot and have your vaccination info transferred to the I-693 Supplemental Form by a designated civil surgeon. Submit the sealed envelope along with the rest of your AOS documents to avoid getting a Request for Evidence later from the USCIS.

- After you mailed your AOS application to USCIS Chicago, you will get several NOAs from them, including one for your biometrics schedule. Your fingerprints and photo will be taken during this time. If you applied for both AOS and EAD, chances are you will get separate schedules for biometrics. If such is the case, just go to the earlier appointment and bring both NOAs with you. It's very likely that the immigration staff will accommodate you and stamp both notices then. This way, you won't have to come back for another biometrics later.

- After a successful biometrics appointment, just wait for your AOS interview appointment notice to come by mail. A list of documents that you need to bring with you during the interview will be included in the appointment letter.

During the AOS Interview

- Documents you need to bring with you:

*** Supplemental Form to I-693 (unless already submitted)

*** Affidavit of Support and ITR/W2 for 2004, 2003, and 2003

*** employment letters/ bank statements

*** birth certificates (yours and husband's)

*** marriage certificate and license

*** NOAs related to my AOS and EAD applications

*** supporting evidence of your relationship, such as tax returns, bank statements, insurance documents, property documents, rental agreements, utility bills, credit cards, contracts, leases, photos, correspondence and/or any other documents you feel may substantiate your relationship

*** your passport (with I-94 card and visa)

- Bring originals and photocopies of all documents you submitted with your AOS application package. If you just bring the originals, the USCIS staff in charge of your case may have to photocopy these documents, which can take a lot of time and therefore you may have to wait longer in the waiting area while that is being done. During my interview, I only brought with me original documents, and we ended up having to wait for an hour because they had to photocopy the documents we submitted. To save time, it may just be wiser to just bring photocopies yourself. The originals, of course, are needed to verify the authenticity of your documents.

- For the supporting evidence of relationship, you can just present one or two of the acceptable documents. You need not bring all. What's important is that the USCIS is able to ascertain that your relationship is valid and genuine.

- Bring some nice photos of you and your hubby. Wedding pictures are great, as well as pictures of you travelling together. Photos that show you are in the company of relatives and friends here in the US are good evidence of your relationship too.

- Letters addressed to both of you showing your present home address will also be helpful. You may also bring letters addressed to you in your married name as well as letters to your husband which show that you both live in the same address.

- Be calm, confident and sincere when you answer the questions. Basically, the immigration officer will just verify information you already gave them beforehand. The questions they asked me were as follows:

*** what is my full name?

*** when is my birthdate?

*** when did we get married?

*** how did my husband and i meet?

*** what is our present address?

*** was i on K-1 visa?

No sweat, right?

- I have heard that the immigration officer may also dig deeper on your relationship with your hubby, so you should at least know some basic facts about him like the complete names of his parents and siblings, where he grew up, his hobbies, his work, etc. Try to remember important dates like anniversaries and birthdays too.

- Finally, be on time. Try to be on the USCIS office at least 15 minutes before your interview schedule. Punctuality is always a nice habit.

Good luck! :D

05-21-05 - K1 visa approved

05-27-05 - received visa

07-29-05 - arrived in the US

08-08-05 - wedding day

09-26-05 - AOS/EAD filed

09-30-05 - NOA for AOS/EAD

11-07-05 - biometrics for AOS/EAD

12-28-05 - AOS interview

img34.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Let me ask you something. Now my wife has her interview next month in Feb. Do we need another Affidavit of support? I did one for the k1 and also with the application of the AOS. You telling me I will have to do another one. She got all her immunizations so thats done.All the rest is a piece of cake. Just the hassle of getting another letter from my employer and getting the tax forms is a hassle.But if it has to be done, then oh well it will be done.

I just had my AOS interview last December 28, and I'm glad to say that my application was approved. I received my greencard in the mail a week later.

My timeline is as follows:

09/26/05 - Applied for Adjustment of Status (AOS)

09/30/05 - Notice of Action 1

10/20/05 - Received Fingerprint Notification schedule

11/07/05 - Biometrics appointment

11/24/05 - Received AOS interview schedule

12/28/05 - AOS interview (approved); EAD application denied

01/05/06 - Greencard received

Anyway, just wanna share with you guys my experience and some tips about the AOS application process. Here goes...

Adjustment of Status to Permanent Legal Resident

- First things first: if you're on a K-1 visa, get married within 90 days of your arrival in the US. You can't apply for AOS unless you marry your fiance since your eligibility is based on marriage to a US citizen.

- Documents to be submitted with the AOS package:

1. Form I-485, with two (2) Passport-style Photos of Intending Immigrant

2. Money order payment of $385 for Adjustment of Status and Biometric Fees (Ray Bacon recommends to have separate money order payments for the AOS, $325, and biometrics, $70)

3. Copy of Intending Immigrant's Birth Certificate

4. Copy of Intending Immigrant's Passport (biographic page and visa)

5. I-693 Vaccination Supplement Form (in sealed envelope)

6. Copy of U.S. Department of State Vaccination Document recieved at K-1 medical examination

7. Form G-325 A of Intending Immigrant and U.S. Citizen Spouse

8. Copy of Intending Immigrant's Valid Form I-94

9.Copy of I-797 Notice of Action, Approval Notice

10. Copy of Marriage Certificate

11. Copy of U.S. Citizen Spouse's U.S. Passport

12. Copy of U.S. Citizen Spouse's Birth Certificate

13. Two (2) Passport-Type Photos of the U.S. Citizen Spouse

14. Form I-864, Affidavit of Support

15. Employment Verification Letter/Bank Statements

16. Copies of w2 and Income Tax Returns for 2004, 2003 and 2002

17. Form I-765 and accompanying money order payment of $180, with Two (2) Passport-style Photos of Intending Immigrant (optional... you need not submit this with your AOS application)

- Apply for the Employment Authorization Document (Form I-765) only if you want to work right away. In my case, it was just a waste of money since the USCIS didn't issue my EAD anymore coz my greencard is approved within 90 days from date of application.

- Get a Td shot and have your vaccination info transferred to the I-693 Supplemental Form by a designated civil surgeon. Submit the sealed envelope along with the rest of your AOS documents to avoid getting a Request for Evidence later from the USCIS.

- After you mailed your AOS application to USCIS Chicago, you will get several NOAs from them, including one for your biometrics schedule. Your fingerprints and photo will be taken during this time. If you applied for both AOS and EAD, chances are you will get separate schedules for biometrics. If such is the case, just go to the earlier appointment and bring both NOAs with you. It's very likely that the immigration staff will accommodate you and stamp both notices then. This way, you won't have to come back for another biometrics later.

- After a successful biometrics appointment, just wait for your AOS interview appointment notice to come by mail. A list of documents that you need to bring with you during the interview will be included in the appointment letter.

During the AOS Interview

- Documents you need to bring with you:

*** Supplemental Form to I-693 (unless already submitted)

*** Affidavit of Support and ITR/W2 for 2004, 2003, and 2003

*** employment letters/ bank statements

*** birth certificates (yours and husband's)

*** marriage certificate and license

*** NOAs related to my AOS and EAD applications

*** supporting evidence of your relationship, such as tax returns, bank statements, insurance documents, property documents, rental agreements, utility bills, credit cards, contracts, leases, photos, correspondence and/or any other documents you feel may substantiate your relationship

*** your passport (with I-94 card and visa)

- Bring originals and photocopies of all documents you submitted with your AOS application package. If you just bring the originals, the USCIS staff in charge of your case may have to photocopy these documents, which can take a lot of time and therefore you may have to wait longer in the waiting area while that is being done. During my interview, I only brought with me original documents, and we ended up having to wait for an hour because they had to photocopy the documents we submitted. To save time, it may just be wiser to just bring photocopies yourself. The originals, of course, are needed to verify the authenticity of your documents.

- For the supporting evidence of relationship, you can just present one or two of the acceptable documents. You need not bring all. What's important is that the USCIS is able to ascertain that your relationship is valid and genuine.

- Bring some nice photos of you and your hubby. Wedding pictures are great, as well as pictures of you travelling together. Photos that show you are in the company of relatives and friends here in the US are good evidence of your relationship too.

- Letters addressed to both of you showing your present home address will also be helpful. You may also bring letters addressed to you in your married name as well as letters to your husband which show that you both live in the same address.

- Be calm, confident and sincere when you answer the questions. Basically, the immigration officer will just verify information you already gave them beforehand. The questions they asked me were as follows:

*** what is my full name?

*** when is my birthdate?

*** when did we get married?

*** how did my husband and i meet?

*** what is our present address?

*** was i on K-1 visa?

No sweat, right?

- I have heard that the immigration officer may also dig deeper on your relationship with your hubby, so you should at least know some basic facts about him like the complete names of his parents and siblings, where he grew up, his hobbies, his work, etc. Try to remember important dates like anniversaries and birthdays too.

- Finally, be on time. Try to be on the USCIS office at least 15 minutes before your interview schedule. Punctuality is always a nice habit.

Good luck! :D

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Let me ask you something. Now my wife has her interview next month in Feb. Do we need another Affidavit of support? I did one for the k1 and also with the application of the AOS. You telling me I will have to do another one. She got all her immunizations so thats done.All the rest is a piece of cake. Just the hassle of getting another letter from my employer and getting the tax forms is a hassle.But if it has to be done, then oh well it will be done.

If you already submitted an Affidavit of Support along with your wife's AOS application, then there's no need to re-submit another one. But bring a copy of the affidavit of support you previously submitted when you go to the interview, just in case the immigration officer asks for it. Good luck!

05-21-05 - K1 visa approved

05-27-05 - received visa

07-29-05 - arrived in the US

08-08-05 - wedding day

09-26-05 - AOS/EAD filed

09-30-05 - NOA for AOS/EAD

11-07-05 - biometrics for AOS/EAD

12-28-05 - AOS interview

img34.gif

we have to submit G 325a and pics for usa citizen? good thing you put that in i didnt know that

angela

SENT K1 VISA APPLICATION--- 7/17/05
NOA1--- 7/27/05
DAY 78--- 10/14/2005 APPROVED
LEFT NVS--- 10/24/2005
RECEIVED PACKET 3--- 11/09/2005
RECEIVED PACKET 4 --- 11/24/2005
INTERVIEW --- 12/02/2005 APPROVED
RECEIVED VISA--- 12/08/2005

SENT AOS--- EAD--- 02/28/2006
received noa for AOS and EAD-------- 03/07/2006
biometrics done-------- 04/26/2006
Touched for both AOS @ EAD------- 05/03/2006
EAD APPROVED----------------------- 05/19/2006
EAD received in mail ------------------- 05/24/2006
AOS APPROVED -------------------- 06/14/2006
RECEIVED GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL 19 JUNE 2006

SENT REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS----------- 03/12/2008
check cashed---------- 03/19/2008
NOA Dated----------- 03/17/2008 receive in mail 03/20/2008
biometrics ------------ 04/16/2008
APPROVED ----------- 06/13/2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
we have to submit G 325a and pics for usa citizen? good thing you put that in i didnt know that

angela

Can anyone else confirm this? I can't find that written anywhere within the AOS application.

It also does not state that the original vaccination worksheet from the K1 medical needs to be submitted.

AND, copy of the USC passport/birth certificate..... This is not required as part of the I-485, but rather of the I-864. And only one of these two is necessary, correct?

Can anyone confirm whether 2 photos are needed for the USC? I am sending the AOS application for my husband in today and have not included photos of myself.

Thanks, Sara

Sara and Muhamed's timeline since he arrived Oct. 26, 2005 on K-1

Jan 30 2006-Send AOS off

April 15-EAD arrives

September 20-Interview---told we were approved

Dec 2006-Called USCIS to find out where green card was

Jan 9-Received request for I-693 vaccination supplement

Can anyone confirm whether 2 photos are needed for the USC? I am sending the AOS application for my husband in today and have not included photos of myself.

Thanks, Sara

You only need 2 photos for the non USC, so you are fine!

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Little correction

1) You Do not need G325a for USC spouse (I didn't send one.)

2) You do not need passport photos of USC spouse (I didn't send one.)

3) You do not need copies of USC spouse's passport (I didn't send one.)

And we didn't get an RFE, the AOS interview is in 2weeks.

Good luck

Edited by motu

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with Motu.. you only need a copy of the passport/birth certificate of the US citizen for an I-864 if its a employment based immigrant needing an affadavit of support (i just looked it up on the I-864).. which is good because i didn't send either in with my application! :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.