mlt

plan to travel while awaiting lifting of conditional 2year residency

21 posts in this topic

hello guys,

My wife and I are planning to travel to the philippines this upcoming November. The problem is that my wife's 2 year conditional residency will expire 28Oct2010. I'm just thinking the worst case scenario here....if for some reason that come November and we're still waiting for her new green card to arrive, can she still travel with her expired 2year card? or maybe there's an option bringing other documents to prove that she is awaiting to be lifted...anyone here in VJ ever experience this situation..please, i would appreciate your help/advice!

hello guys,

My wife and I are planning to travel to the philippines this upcoming November. The problem is that my wife's 2 year conditional residency will expire 28Oct2010. I'm just thinking the worst case scenario here....if for some reason that come November and we're still waiting for her new green card to arrive, can she still travel with her expired 2year card? or maybe there's an option bringing other documents to prove that she is awaiting to be lifted...anyone here in VJ ever experience this situation..please, i would appreciate your help/advice!

when you file for ROC, your wife will receive a notice of action letter that extends her GC for one year. You also have the option of setting an infopass appointment and get an I-551 stamp in her passport that also extends her permanent residence status.

Just keep in mind that she needs to go for a biometrics and then wait for letters from USCIS so while you are outside the country, make sure you have someone that will be trust worthy to check your mail regularly and provide you with information immediately as it arrives.

Just keep in mind that USCIS sometimes requests a second biometrics appointment since the FBI sometimes cannot process them.

They also send RFE requesting additoinal evidence and sometimes they send for an interview.

Most people receive an approval without what I mentioned above but make sure you consider these before you are thousands of miles away.

Good luck!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

For how long were you wanting to travel?

I would say it is safe to travel with the extension letter (NOA1) you will recieve after you filed for ROC or the stamp, specially if you would be flexible with your travel dates.

Maybe check out in other peoples timelines (go to the monthly threats in this forum) to see how long it usually takes from filing to biometrics, so you can better estimate when it is fairly "safe" to travel.

But yeah, have someone check your mail while you are gone and get you any info from USCIS.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

Her "new" card will not arrive automatically. She will have to file a petition to get her conditions removed, and once they receive that petition, she will receive a letter which extends her 2-year card another year, so that it effectively becomes a 3-year card. A few weeks later she MUST go to a Biometrics appointment, and thereafter you can travel.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline
hello guys,

My wife and I are planning to travel to the philippines this upcoming November. The problem is that my wife's 2 year conditional residency will expire 28Oct2010. I'm just thinking the worst case scenario here....if for some reason that come November and we're still waiting for her new green card to arrive, can she still travel with her expired 2year card? or maybe there's an option bringing other documents to prove that she is awaiting to be lifted...anyone here in VJ ever experience this situation..please, i would appreciate your help/adv

Your extension letter is enough for travel, to be safe travel after the biometrics.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Everything all the previous posts have said are spot on.

If you are looking for a real world case, my wife JUST went through this upon her return back to the US from a short family visit. She had her EXPIRED Permanent Resident Card and the original NOA 1 letter (the receipt MOST people get from the USCIS confirming receipt of your I-751 application, which also extends the Permanent Resident Card and authorizes travel for 1 year). At the Port of Entry (POE), she just presented both items and passed right on through with no issues. So I can confirm this works.

Good Luck.

Application For Naturalization (N-400)

01/10/2013 - Packet Sent to Phoenix Lockbox

01/16/2013 - NOA & Check Cashed

02/06/2013 - Biometrics Appt

04/16/2013 - Interview - Approval Recommendation!

04/23/2013 - Placed in the Oath Ceremony Queue

05/16/2013 - Received letter showing Oath Ceremony date

06/12/2013 - Oath Ceremony

06/12/2013 - U.S. Citizen!

Her "new" card will not arrive automatically. She will have to file a petition to get her conditions removed, and once they receive that petition, she will receive a letter which extends her 2-year card another year, so that it effectively becomes a 3-year card. A few weeks later she MUST go to a Biometrics appointment, and thereafter you can travel.

Hi Bob,

you actually do present a good point. The OP did not mention anything about filing I-751 which one assumed they already did or will do, but good observation that the OP could be thinking that it will appear automatically....

To the OP, please read Bob's reply carefully if you were not aware of the actual process.

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

• 4 months later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

when you file for ROC, your wife will receive a notice of action letter that extends her GC for one year. You also have the option of setting an infopass appointment and get an I-551 stamp in her passport that also extends her permanent residence status.

Just keep in mind that she needs to go for a biometrics and then wait for letters from USCIS so while you are outside the country, make sure you have someone that will be trust worthy to check your mail regularly and provide you with information immediately as it arrives.

Just keep in mind that USCIS sometimes requests a second biometrics appointment since the FBI sometimes cannot process them.

They also send RFE requesting additoinal evidence and sometimes they send for an interview.

Most people receive an approval without what I mentioned above but make sure you consider these before you are thousands of miles away.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Timeline

hi.. i read your opinion and advice to the topic and i agree with you. We are planning of visiting my country too next year after everything is ok for the lifting of condition of my status. For now i am getting ready to file it soon. I hope you can guide as well. Thank you very much. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Apply for i-751 and travel only with your extension letter, and try to travel after biometrics if possible. Been there, done that, no problems.

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

• 1 month later...
Timeline

When can you get the extension letter (NOA1)?? what is the ROC stands for? the stamp sounds good if they do that and when? Because me and my husband are planning to visit my country next year if possible but i am worried of when i can travel already.. I will file the lifting of my conditional status on the end of October this year and we are planning of going on January next year.. do you think things would be fine for me that time for my travel documents? thanks you and have a nice day.. :(

When can you get the extension letter (NOA1)?? what is the ROC stands for? the stamp sounds good if they do that and when? Because me and my husband are planning to visit my country next year if possible but i am worried of when i can travel already.. I will file the lifting of my conditional status on the end of October this year and we are planning of going on January next year.. do you think things would be fine for me that time for my travel documents? thanks you and have a nice day.. :(

ROC - Removal Of Conditions

Usually, when USCIS receives your I-751 packet, they will send you a NOA letter - it normally arrives within 2-3 weeks after you mail your package.

To get an I-551 stamp, you need to schedule an infopass appointment, which can be done online from the USCIS's website.

Different people take different time to get approved, so it is not easy to tell how long approvals take. Probably you already know this, but you must apply within 90 days prior to your GC expiration date. Not one day early and not one day late.

Usually, the NOA letter is enough for your to be able to enter the US without any issues - and so is the I-551 stamp.

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

ROC - Removal Of Conditions

Usually, when USCIS receives your I-751 packet, they will send you a NOA letter - it normally arrives within 2-3 weeks after you mail your package.

To get an I-551 stamp, you need to schedule an infopass appointment, which can be done online from the USCIS's website.

Different people take different time to get approved, so it is not easy to tell how long approvals take. Probably you already know this, but you must apply within 90 days prior to your GC expiration date. Not one day early and not one day late.

Usually, the NOA letter is enough for your to be able to enter the US without any issues - and so is the I-551 stamp.

----------------------------------------------------

Thank you for explaining all of these.. yeah i know that i should file within 90 days before the GC expires. But can i mail it already 2 days or 1 day before it start the 90 days counting of the expiration date? because it will take 3 days or more before they can receive the mail. Does it matter to them if example i mail it in few days advance but they will receive it on the date within my 90 days period of my GC expiration. example if i will mail it on oct. 24th and they may receive it on oct. 27th which is the start of my 90 days.. can i do that? I'm just curious because we were planning to travel by January.. Please help me..

By the way.. is there possibility that you can be denied..? I have some of the requirements but not all of them.. What are the important requirements that i should be submitted? Thank you again.. i appreciate a lot for you help..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.