mRx

Accelerated Summer College Courses

33 posts in this topic

Quite a lot surprisingly. More than I retained about the Kennedy assassination...and I took an ENTIRE SEMESTER CLASS on that subject. Oh and another one of Crime in American history....totally fascinating. Clearly I was a history major, eh?

Did they teach you about mary-jo's murder?

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Quite a lot surprisingly. More than I retained about the Kennedy assassination...and I took an ENTIRE SEMESTER CLASS on that subject. Oh and another one of Crime in American history....totally fascinating. Clearly I was a history major, eh?

:P

Wrong Kennedy, stupid.

:lol:

Hey I live not too far from Manassas - Battle of Bull Run I believe.. Marc's confederate great great granddad was there but he was too busy getting drunk and ended up catching a train to Washington State rather than DC; the rest is history..

Edited by Booyah

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Ok, tell us what you remember about the Civil War. :jest:

if you want to see how not to conduct a battle, study cold harbor.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

You can do it if you're really set on it, but I'm sure it'll take a lot of work. My fiance is back in school to get his second major, and is at an accelerated college, where a 4 year degree is earned in 18 mos. So he has school 5-6 days a week, 8 hours a day, etc. It's very hard, but he has been dedicated and had done very well. It's not chemistry based, but if you're going to condense down a course in a short pd of time, be prepared to eat sleep and breathe it.

But you're really smart, Matt, so you can do it! :) Best of luck!

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
Yeah, Matt. Wouldn't you much rather be a backwoods hick with a drinking problem and an unhealthy mistrust of anyone smarter than you?

hey! i resemble that remark!

seriously, 3 chem courses in one summer is live, eat, breathe. i have 17 credits this semester, and am in the low 90's so far. i am planning on 3 classes for summer, but only one of them is intensive.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

The courses are CH 221 from 6/21-7/09 CH 222 from 7/12-7/30 and CH 223 from 8/02-8/20. Every M/T/R is a 3-hr lab. It's pretty grueling. My brother's GF took this sequence 2 years ago, and she said it was the worst summer of her life.

However, by taking these this summer, I can get into the O-Chem sequence in the Fall, which ultimately saves me a year.

The tuition alone will cost me over $2000, so it better be worth it.

21FUNNY.gif

Filed: Timeline
However, by taking these this summer, I can get into the O-Chem sequence in the Fall, which ultimately saves me a year.

If you apply yourself, I am sure it will be. Good luck!

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Organic chemistry is a killer....It's harder than inorganic. So many people had to repeat that course. You need to memorize all the different nomenclature for aldehyde, ketones, sterol.....and, depending on the Carbon configuration how they react. A nightmare if taken during the summer break.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
The courses are CH 221 from 6/21-7/09 CH 222 from 7/12-7/30 and CH 223 from 8/02-8/20. Every M/T/R is a 3-hr lab. It's pretty grueling. My brother's GF took this sequence 2 years ago, and she said it was the worst summer of her life.

What are planning to major in?

I have no job, and since the school is about an hour away, I'll be temporarily moving in with a buddy who lives within walking distance of the university. My wife and I have one car, so we'll be apart for the 9-weeks, but she understands. So, I'll be able to devote every second of those 9-weeks to the classes.

Neils Bohr, I'm not taking O-chem over the summer. I'll start the regularly-paced sequence of that in the fall.

21FUNNY.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Macedonia
Timeline

I haven't taken an accelerated class, but I taught an accelerated statistics class last summer and I'll be teaching one this summer, so maybe I can give some useful insight. I'm a grad student who is about to go on the job market next year, so I had to take the class seriously because I needed good reviews both from the students and from the prof who was teaching the next class in the sequence.

My class was pretty much a boot camp class. I didn't skip any topics and the students really needed to learn everything or they would have failed the next class. I felt like a zombie by the end of the day, and I was teaching material that I already knew really well, so I can't imagine how the students must have felt.

My 2 cents: only take summer classes if they are very easy, or if you are really excited about the class and don't mind doing a lot of independent work.

You can easily read 100 pages of gen ed 101 BS every day, ace a multiple choice exam, and forget everything you learned as soon as you walk out of the exam room. If you need to actually learn stuff, but you aren't terribly thrilled about the subject, I would strongly advise you against taking science and math classes during the summer.

I am not saying that cannot learn a lot in an accelerated class. You can probably learn more than you would in a regular class, if you spend your whole summer completely focusing on one subject, but you have to be 100% dedicated. There is very little leeway, so you can't miss classes or labs. An average student will have to spend about 3 hours doing homework/studying for every hour in a summer class, so be prepared to put your social life on the back burner for awhile. If you don't care about the subject, it's very easy to start slacking off.

If you are actually excited about doing a lot of work in that field, an advantage of accelerated summer classes is that you can completely focus on one class and you will learn a lot. Plus you can kind of get a taste of what working in that field would be like, because you will only be doing chemistry-related stuff for 3 months.

ROC:

11/07/2011 Mailed I-751 and evidence

11/09/2011 NOA issue date

11/14/2011 Check cashed

11/16/2011 NOA received

11/22/2011 Biometrics

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ah - so nothing is concurrent. That's a big plus.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !