Teacher Mark

Younger Americans Cite Liberalism as Defining Aspect, Poll Says

82 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Anyone know what the median incomes for liberals vs. conservatives are?

Where does this idea come from that liberals must not earn any money? I'm so sick of people telling me that I will turn conservative once I "grow up". I pay more taxes than you, you dimwit!

you talking federal or state? paying more state taxes is solely dependant on where one lives.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ideological intransigence is the hallmark of idiots.

Unless it's from libs. Then it's passion and revolutionary.

Lets not pretend that this double standard does not exist in the US. Even on here, the very people who claim to be open-minded, are the same folks who will agree with any liberal view 100% of the time, with a track record of doing so for 4 years now.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
you talking federal or state? paying more state taxes is solely dependant on where one lives.

federal

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it to say, "I pay more federal taxes than you, you dimwit!"

Edited by Jenn!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
federal

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it to say, "I pay more federal taxes than you, you dimwit!"

so who you gonna tell that to? :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Most young people are more liberally minded (at least socially), but that doesn't necessarily equate to embracing a political ideology, and then as they get older and become more politically minded, their true ideals come forward. It's just like how a rebellious teenager can later be a very strict parent. The rebelliousness didn't really define who they really are inside and it isn't until they take on adult responsibilities when their true nature comes out.

You glossed over some stuff here, there is the rebellious teenager but there is also the never ending stream of teenagers and college kids that want to fix the real world and dont realize that it takes real world solutions to fix real world problems and it doesnt always leave you with that warm fuzzy feeling there looking for, upon growing up they start to see the big picture and realize that the problems are more complex and not everybody is going to win. I believe thats why some kids turn to conservatism when they grow up.

You glossed over some stuff here, there is the rebellious teenager but there is also the never ending stream of teenagers and college kids that want to fix the real world and dont realize that it takes real world solutions to fix real world problems and it doesnt always leave you with that warm fuzzy feeling there looking for, upon growing up they start to see the big picture and realize that the problems are more complex and not everybody is going to win. I believe thats why some kids turn to conservatism when they grow up.

Just cutting taxes is not a solution that will solve a lot of problems.

keTiiDCjGVo

they'll probably become republicans when they grow up.

And start paying taxes.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

I'm 53 years old and a lot of my old peer group that were liberal hippie types in the early 1970's came to their senses when they finally got out into the real world. I see a lot of my old high school classmates of that ilk that now proclaim their conservatism on their Facebook profile.

I will admit I was the same and have grown considerably more conservative in my views as I got older. Although I'm skeptical of government in general and refuse to align with any party because I don't trust any of them.

I think you are putting too much weight on individual political values without acknowledging that the values of a particular party changes over time. What it means to be "conservative" in the future will probably be a bit more liberal than what it means to be "conservative" today.

keTiiDCjGVo

Handing over your problems to the government to fix will not solve most problems.

Neither will private companies, so i guess we are just screwed no matter what we do.

keTiiDCjGVo

Neither will private companies, so i guess we are just screwed no matter what we do.

At least with a private company I get to say where my money goes, I just love paying for social security that wont be around when I retire, well it probably will be around, they will just raise taxes as usual. The fix all solution, gotta love it!

How about this we just let the individual do as he will with his money and if he screws himself over with his hard earned money well then so be it

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Unless it's from libs. Then it's passion and revolutionary.

Lets not pretend that this double standard does not exist in the US. Even on here, the very people who claim to be open-minded, are the same folks who will agree with any liberal view 100% of the time, with a track record of doing so for 4 years now.

If you just follow party lines, then you are either lazy, ignorant, deluded, or simply naive. Do that many people really follow party lines verbatum?

Just cutting taxes is not a solution that will solve a lot of problems.

Actually it only solved one problem, stagflation. Unfortunately many fail to grasp the reality that we are not suffering from stagflation, we are in a deep recession.

Cutting taxes to deal with this crisis is like trying to fight an oil fire using water, since that's what worked to extinguish a paper fire.

Edited by Booyah

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I find as I get older I'm becoming more liberal actually. Growing up and through University I was very conservative and a registered republican. Since getting out in the real world I've definitely become more liberal. I consider myself a moderate but hey who knows by 40 I may be a staunch left wing liberal.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Cynicism is the murderer of idealism. Pragmatism on the other hand, doesn't kill idealism, it tempers it. What I see among many who consider themselves conservative now, but were liberal as they were younger, is that they have become cynical. I've become more pragmatic as I've gotten older, but I'll fight tooth and nail against letting cynicism affect my outlook on life.