Sleepybears

CA I.D./ Driver License with NOA1?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

In Ohio we did it. We took his passport with visa, I-94, and NOA1 and everything was fine! My husband didn't even have to take the driving test, only the written. Just call your BMV and they should be able to tell ya!

Diana

My Timeline

K1

01/09/06- pakage sent to NSC

01/11/06- NOA1

03/16/06- NOA2 approved!!!

04/03/06- arrived at NVC

04/04/06- left NVC

04/08/06- received packet 3

04/11/06- sent packet 3 to Frankfurt

04/26/06- received packet 4

05/23/06- INTERVIEW at 9:30amAPPROVED!!!!

06/01/06- visa in hand!!!

06/08/06- married in Vegas!!!

AOS/EAD

06/24/06- sent AOS and EAD package to Chicago

06/27/06- Chicago receives package

06/30/06- NOA1

07/03/06- NOA1 received in the mail

07/17/06- biometrics appt. received in mail

07/25/06- biometrics in cleveland

08/30/06- case received at CSC

08/31/06- received a new NOA1 email

09/01/06- touched AOS

09/15/06- AOS APPROVED!! got email saying welcome letter was sent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09/20/06- welcome letter received!!! and approval email sent

09/21/06- touched and GREENCARD RECEIVED!!!!!

06/08/07- one year anniversary

06/08/08- two year anniversary

06/08/09- three year anniversary

Removal of Conditions

06/17/08- package sent to California

06/19/08- California receives package

06/19/08-NOA1

06/28/08-Biometrics appointment

07/28/08-touched

09/01/08-received non conditional green card

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
Hi,

I've just received the NOA1 of my AOS application. Can I apply for the CA ID/Driver License with NOA1?

Thanks.

It depends on how long your I-94 is valid for. According to the CA DMV person we spoke to, if my I-94 was valid for 60 days or more, I could have gotten my DL. However, as I had less than 60 days till my I-94 expired, I have to wait for either an EAD or a GC or the stamp on the passport (I think it's the I-551 stamp) before I can get my DL.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi,

I've just received the NOA1 of my AOS application. Can I apply for the CA ID/Driver License with NOA1?

Thanks.

It depends on how long your I-94 is valid for. According to the CA DMV person we spoke to, if my I-94 was valid for 60 days or more, I could have gotten my DL. However, as I had less than 60 days till my I-94 expired, I have to wait for either an EAD or a GC or the stamp on the passport (I think it's the I-551 stamp) before I can get my DL.

DOes this mean you should go get the drivers license right when you get here? Is that possible in California?

Also, just to get an ID card what do you need?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

DOes this mean you should go get the drivers license right when you get here? Is that possible in California?

Thanks!

I tried to get the ID with my I-94 and social security card. But they didnt let me apply. But now I have the NOA 1 from my AOS application. I wonder if this works.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Guess it varies by state. Here in Florida we tried to get a state photo ID after we got married but as there was less than 30 days left on her K-1 they wouldn't do it. They said for a photo ID or drivers license they set the expiration date the same as the expiration date for the visa. I explained we had filed for AOS, and they said come back when you have your "torch letter" with "the date" whatever that means. Not sure if our NOA1 is good enough, but we will try this week.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

According to the CA DMV website:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

you'll need EAD. Proof of applying for AOS isn't good enough.

Note: In my resident state PA, NOA1 for AOS is good enough, as suggested by the REAL ID act. However not all states accept this.

Edited by dr_lha

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Thanks!

I tried to get the ID with my I-94 and social security card. But they didnt let me apply. But now I have the NOA 1 from my AOS application. I wonder if this works.

Strange, the DMV I went to (Santa Clara), was ok with me getting my DL provided that I had more than 60 days left with my I-94. Unfortunately, I meet that deadline to get a learner's permit but not a DL.

However, the DL would expire the same time the I-94 expires if they issue it that way. My learner's permit (although I have passed all my tests) allows me to drive accompanied by another person with a valid DL until my I-94 expires.

Nope, the NOA1 doesn't work. They need either the EAD or the greencard. Hope this helps!

• 5 years later...

You can in fact apply for a California ID or driver's license with your NOA1 as long as the NOA extends your legal presence. For instance, if you're filing for Removing Conditions on your permanent residence it will specifically say that it extends your presence in the US for a year. Otherwise, check your I-94 or other documents.

Here is a link (also attached to this post) to the CA DMV website section which specifically states that Notice I-797 (Notice of Action, NOA) is acceptable as your legal presence.

I would suggest printing it out and bringing it with you, as some employees might be unfamiliar with this.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl05.htm

I hope this helps!

12/01/11 - I-751 Application Sent (USPS Express)

12/02/11 - I-751 Application Received

12/02/11 - NOA Dated

12/06/11 - Check Cashed

12/07/11 - NOA Received

12/08/11 - Biometrics Notice Dated

12/10/11 - Biometrics Notice Received

12/13/11 - Early Biometrics (Walk-In)

12/28/11 - Original Biometrics Appointment Date

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.