russell

Marriage before K1 Interview

50 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I can't see what it would possibly matter if you had the ceremony before hand but signed no legal documents that change your marital status. So, technically, you are still legally single and elegible to marry. Perhaps to God's eye and the two families you are married, but as far as the law is concerend, nothing changed.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Email the Embassy (londonconsular@state.gov), explain the tight timeline you are on and request that you be scheduled for an interview as soon as possible. If you make it clear that you have all the documents ready for the interview they might just be able to squeeze you in somewhere.

Bearing in mind that an interview is no good without a completed medical i'd also get work on getting your medical done so that you are all set in the event that an earlier interview date is made available.

The visa section at the Embassy might look on your plight favourably but you won't know unless you ask.

Good luck

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline
So if they are going to have a Justice of the peace do a service for them here in the US, will the Justice of the Pease require a marriage licence to do this??? if he does then it is a legal marriage is it not???

Kezzie

Of course, I don't think that any judge would celebrate a marriage without a marriage license! But we were not talking about marriages celebrated by judges, we were talking about religious marriages, and that in some way a couple can talk to the priest so the ceremony would be just that a ceremony that's not legally binding.

That's what I think, I'm not an american lawyer.. so I don't know the answer for what you're asking! I wish I was a lawyer in the US! Then I could be an immigration lawyer and make lots of money! :lol:

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Filed: Other Timeline
i just realised that the justice of the peace who is conducting our ceremony is a friend of my fiances sister, so now i have someone who might be able to help me with any legal questions about the ceremony

Thanks again

OMG. A justice of the peace is NOT a lawyer.

The first reply you got in this thread is the only answer you need to hear. If I were you I'd change that country club gig into an engagment party.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Um - I already responded here, i just want to see how my new signature looks :P I have 'Enable signature' checked, but 'Preview post' does not seem to be working...

Bill

I-129f Journey:

2006-07-17 I-129F sent to CSC

2006-07-24 NOA1 (received)

2006-10-05 RFE (received)

2006-10-06 RFE (returned to CSC)

2006-10-23 NOA2

2007-01-29 Visa Approved!

2007-02-17 Ceremony in Thailand

2007-02-21 POE LAX - Fiance and her daughter enter the USA together, Easy-Peasy!

2007-03-05 Wedding in USA

AOS Journey:

2007-06-07 AOS for spouse and daughter sent

2007-06-16 NOA's arrive, (issued on the 13th)

2007-07-05 Biometrics

2007-07-13 Received RFE (Mailed on July 3rd)

2007-08-06 Returned RFE

2007-10-16 Interview date

2007-10-27 Green Cards Received!

ROC (I-751) Journey:

2009-07-24 Joint I-751 for spouse and daughter sent

2009-08-03 Received NOA1 dated 7/27/09

2009-08-03 Received Receipt and one year extension for wife

2009-08-03 Received "Verification Of Incusion Of A Dependent" for step-daughter

2009-08-27 Biometrics

2009-11-13 Green Cards Received

Citizenship Journey:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

i just realised that the justice of the peace who is conducting our ceremony is a friend of my fiances sister, so now i have someone who might be able to help me with any legal questions about the ceremony

Thanks again

The first reply you got in this thread is the only answer you need to hear. If I were you I'd change that country club gig into an engagment party.

I missed that!!! That's why I didn't get why Kezze was asking something about a Justice of peace! LOL I didn't read that part.. if a justice of peace is going to perform the ceremony then the marriage will be legally valid! You'll have to either change the date and wait for the visa, or have another ceremony religious or not, that's not legally valid. But there's no way a justice of peace will celebrate a wedding that's not legally binding.

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks again

I missed that!!! That's why I didn't get why Kezze was asking something about a Justice of peace! LOL I didn't read that part.. if a justice of peace is going to perform the ceremony then the marriage will be legally valid! You'll have to either change the date and wait for the visa, or have another ceremony religious or not, that's not legally valid. But there's no way a justice of peace will celebrate a wedding that's not legally binding.

Well yeah but that's not what I meant. I'm interpreting the OP's post to mean he would seek legal advice from a JP.

i agree with the others here who say email the london consulate.

take a peek at my k-1 timeline...they were VERY accomodating for us in scheduling the interview. by the way, i don't know if it helped or not, but I (the USC) was the one who handled all contact and correspondence with the consulate. we figured that it might help if the USC contacted them. *shrug*

september 9 is still quite a way off...you may still make it!

like others have said, maybe an engagement party would be the best bet? you two could maybe stand in front of your friends and families, hold hands, gaze into each other's eyes and say your public vows to one another...but have no officiant at all. it would definitely be the safest and most legal option, i think.

good luck!

f35qw2.gif

f35qif.gif

Click here to view our webpage!

jt179g.jpg

AOS Approved!! icon_woohoo.gif

Apply to remove conditions August 13, 2008!

Click here for our complete Immigration Timeline

2uhvevm.gif

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."--Author Unknown

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Before finishing reading all the responses, my initial thought was to go through with the ceremony and celebrate with all your guests, but don't actually get married. Maybe I'm simpifying things, but that seems okay to me, since you're not getting married. Then when you arrive in the US, just have a quick civil service or religious ceremony based on your preferences.

Good Luck!! :)

Edited by danielm2

- March 7th 2006: Dan and Xuejing (Allie) met on a train going from Shanghai to Beijing

- Spring 2006: Have an amazing relationship that goes from friends to more than friends

- May 2006 to June 12: Live together in Chengdu, China and talk about our future, MARRIAGE!

- June 12 2006: return to Beijing for a week; the place it all started.

- June 20 2006: Dan returns to Milwaukee, WI.

- June 20 2006 - Begin to prepare K1 materials

- September 5, 2006 - Sent I-129F

- September 6, 2006 - I-129F Received

- September 14, 2006 - NOA1

- September 17, 2006 - Touched

- November 17, 2006 - Touched

- November 18, 2006 - NOA2

Just a quick update.. The Justice of the Peace has informed us that it is very safe to have a ceremony, we can do everything apart from sign a marriage license, even exchange rings and vows. Apparently it is done as two seperate occasions quite often. Then when we are both good and ready we can sign the marriage license with witnesses infront of the same Justice of the Peace, i have emailed the embassy to let them know my plans just to be doubly safe, so i await there reply with bated breath, disaster averted!

Russell + Chloe

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Anna and I did a cute ceremony on the forth on July.

We told the JOP that we did not want it legalized.

No paperwork was signed. No license signed or issued.

want the 4th to be our special day - and to us it is.

But is it legal - no.

Yes?

K1 -visa V S C

05-19-06 : Sent (fedex)

05-30-06 : NOA1 Receipt (mail)

06-23-06 : RFE received (mail) imbra

06-27-06 : RFE Notice of Receipt imbra (email)

07-10-06 : Approved NOA2 (email)

07-12-06 : NOA2 postmarked

07-14-06 : NOA2 received in mail

07-12-06 : NVC received

07-19-06 : Sent to Moscow

07-20-06 : letter from NVC dated July 18 that they rec petition and would forward

07-25-06 : Moscow rec

07-26-06 : DOS tells me that Moscow has sent packet (does not happen in Moscow)

08-19-06 : Moscow sends interview letter

10-05-06 : Interview - CAKE WALK!

See ALL our NOTES

--------------------------------------------------

AOS

12/30/06 - AOS/EAD/AP mailed

01/04/07 - NOA - Receipts (01-08 in mail)

01/11/07 - Appointment letter for BioMeterics

01/19/07 - BioMetrics Appointment AOS/EAD touched

02/20/07 - Received letter for interview

04/24/07 - Interview / Approved / Passport Stamp

05/04/07 - Received Greencard

----------------------------------------------------------------

See ALL our NOTES

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Update your timeline

Russian Meeting Place

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

DO NOT PLAN YOUR WEDDING BEFORE YOU GET YOUR VISA IN HAND!

(And don't whine if you do and end up with a scrwewed up wedding, screwed up visa or worse.)

YES BUT YOU NEED TO PROVE THAT YOU WANT TO GET MARRIED BY PROVIDING EVIDENCES SUCH AS CATERER QUOTES!!!

How do you solve the catch 22???

(It is said everywhere that you have to prove:

That the couple previously met within the two (2) years of the date of filing the petition, UNLESS A WAIVER IS GRANTED;

That the couple has a bona fide intention to marry; AND

The couple is legally able and actually willing to conclude a valid marriage in the United States within 90 days after the foreign fiancee’s arrival.)

- Carole -

K1 journey (2006) - the toughest one!

03/30/06 - I-129F mailed

07/31/06 - NOA2

08/26/06 - Packet 3 received

09/07/06 - Checklist sent back to Embassy

09/16/06 - Packet 4 received

10/03/06 - Interview

10/07/06 - Visa received by post

10/22/06 - Entered USA

01/06/07 - Wedding :-)

AOS journey (2007) - getting easier!

01/18/07 - AOS and EAD applications sent (USPS)

01/23/07 - NOA received

02/14/07 - Biometrics appointment

03/16/07 - Initial interview for AOS

04/08/07 - EAD card received

06/11/07 - CA Driver's License. EAD was needed to be allowed to pass the test in CA :((

07/23/07 - CONDITIONAL GREEN CARD!

I-751 journey (2009) - so much easier!

04/27/09 - Sent I-751 by regular mail

04/29/09 - NOA1 (received by mail on 05/12/09)

07/01/09 - Biometrics appointment (received by mail on 06/20/09)

07/25/09 - Approved - card in preparation (received by mail on 07/31/09)

07/29/09 - Card produced (received by mail on 08/05/09)

Taking a break from USCIS before applying for citizenship...

----

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
YES BUT YOU NEED TO PROVE THAT YOU WANT TO GET MARRIED BY PROVIDING EVIDENCES SUCH AS CATERER QUOTES!!!

That the couple previously met within the two (2) years of the date of filing the petition, UNLESS A WAIVER IS GRANTED;

The couple is legally able and actually willing to conclude a valid marriage in the United States within 90 days after the foreign fiancee’s arrival.)

It is not a requirement to show receipts for caterers etc.. at the embassy interview. While some people feel that it adds weight to their evidence of actually planning to marry, many many people have courthouse weddings that don't ever include caterers etc.. A bona fide intent to marry is confirmed by the signed letters of intent, that is all that is required by the USCIS to determine your desire to actually follow through with the marriage within the allotted timeframe.

I know that we went ahead and finalised all of our wedding plans before the interview but we didn't do so until I had been granted an interview date. We had a very straightforward case and I was confident that if I could get as far as an Embassy interview, we wouldn't have any problems. We knew that booking anything any further ahead than that would be way too risky.

Hopefully the OP will find the Embassy to be accommodating of their situation.

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: Timeline

caroledfb,

Nothing is needed to prove that the couple wants to get married beyond each of them making a statement to that effect.

Yodrak

The couple is legally able and actually willing to conclude a valid marriage in the United States within 90 days after the foreign fiancee's arrival.)

Edited by Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.