Brad and Vika

MIL visa application

119 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Wrong, you have to be a US Citizen by either birth or Naturalization to sponsor someone to immigrate. A greencard holder is just a permenent resident.

Aha , thanks for clearing this to me

Beautiful patience.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong, you have to be a US Citizen by either birth or Naturalization to sponsor someone to immigrate. A greencard holder is just a permenent resident.

Actually, you both are incorrect. A permanent resident can sponsor a spouse or child, etc.. A USC can sponsor a parent or sibling, etc.

Back to the original question please :)

• Jan 2004 - Met Sergey in Kharkov Ukraine when I substituted for his English teacher
  • August 2006 - Sergey and I are reacquainted and begin dating
  • February 2007 - Sergey proposes
  • May 19 2007 - Sergey and I are married in Ukraine
  • Jan 16 2008 - Filed I-130 petition at Kyiv Embassy
  • Jan 31 2008 - I-130 Approved
  • Feb 18 2008 - Medical Appointment
  • Feb 21 2008 - Final Interview Date - Visa approved
  • Feb 25 2008 - Visa delivered!
  • April 24 2008 - Arrived in America
  • June 21 2008 - Our son is born (3 months early). We made it to America just in time!
  • Waiting to "Remove Conditions" in 2010

Removing Conditions

• Feb 17 2010 - Sent off I-751
  • Feb 22 2010 - Date of NOA1
  • Mar 26 2010 - Date of Bio
  • May 10 2010 - Approved
  • June 2 2010 - Received Card in the mail

I have never heard of a Russian citizen being allowed to apply for a visa from Ukraine. That sounds pretty unusual. You might try writing an email to the U.S. embassy in Kiev, visa section to see if a Russian citizen living in Ukraine can apply for a visitor visa to America. I would not give them to many details, especially about her being refused in Moscow. I think you will be told she needs to apply in Moscow or become a Ukrainian citizen and then apply in Kiev. Either way is going to be tough. :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi everyone! I have a couple of questions about bringing my husband's mother for a visit.

My mother-in-law is divorced and lives alone in Yakutsk, Russia. She works as a teacher and owns an apartment there. She has a son who lives in Ukraine and her daughter is married to an American and lives in Florida and her son is my husband and we live in Louisiana. My sister-in-law desperately wants her mother to visit as she hasn't seen her in over 3 years and she hasn't seen her two grandchildren.

My sister-in-law and her husband created an invitation letter and helped her mother put together a packet of evidence. I gave advice based on what I had read here as to what she needed to show - proof of job, apartment, etc., but wasn't really involved in the process. She went for her interview on Aug 3 and was denied. She was told that because of her economic situation and the current recession, she would probably want to stay in America and not return. They also told her that it wouldn't do any good to reapply unless her economic situation changed.

We, of course, have no desire to do that as my husband is eligible to apply for citizenship next April and will be able to bring her here legally if she so desires. One of the purposes of her trip now was for her to decide if she wants to immigrate as she is afraid she won't like it here (yeah, whatever!)

After my MIL was denied, she went to Ukraine to visit her son. Now, my sister-in-law and her husband are calling me asking if she can re-apply in Kiev and what are the chances that she would get a visa so soon after re-applying.

It sounds like a long-shot to me, even if she is able to apply in Kiev in that she is a Russian citizen.

What do you all think? Can she legally apply in Kiev, even if she doesn't live there? Is there any chance they would give her a visa given she was denied so recently?

I'm not an expert, but I would go with no to both questions. Of course, there is always some chance. But you'll have to write down any past applications on the application form. It will likely come up in the interview. And that will pretty much sink her next try, regardless of what embassy she is at. They'll ask why she was denied and they'll determine that nothing has changed. And I would agree that it's unlikely a Russian will be allowed to apply for a visa in Kiev.

Thanks, that's what I thought as well. My sister-in-law is just not wanting to accept that it will be another 2 years before she sees her mother.

• Jan 2004 - Met Sergey in Kharkov Ukraine when I substituted for his English teacher
  • June 21 2008 - Our son is born (3 months early). We made it to America just in time!

Removing Conditions

• May 10 2010 - Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Actually, you both are incorrect. A permanent resident can sponsor a spouse or child, etc.. A USC can sponsor a parent or sibling, etc.

Back to the original question please :)

She must apply in Russia if she is a Russian citizen and not a Ukraine permanent resident. She would not have better luck in Ukraine, anyway. Kiev is as difficult as any consulate in Russia to get a visitor visa from.

US citizens are given priority if petitioning relatives over permanent residents. While permanent residents CAN petition certain relatives, the wait time is very long.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Thanks, that's what I thought as well. My sister-in-law is just not wanting to accept that it will be another 2 years before she sees her mother.

Your sister in law will be going to Russia (most likely) if she plans to see her mother in the next two years. Even when she is a citizen, petitioning her will take about year after she is a citizen, perhaps longer. I am not sure if the mother of a US citizen is eligible for an immediate visa number. IF her mother can get an immediate visa number, the way a child can, then figure 9-12 months to petition her with an I-130

Gary And Alla

From what I have read, as a USC a parent, child or spouse is eligible for an immediate visa number.

Removing Conditions

• May 10 2010 - Approved

Timeline

From what I have read, as a USC a parent, child or spouse is eligible for an immediate visa number.

I think I have read the same and it is something we may look into in a couple years. I know it is immediate for spouse or child under 21. "immediate" actually means "9-12 months" It is a relative term.

Gary And Alla

I'm with the others that applying through Kiev wouldn't help at all. In fact, the way I'd see it, if she's free to travel to Kiev... what's she really need to be back in Russia for, anyway?

If you truly want her to come here, she's going to have to "make documents" that show how successful her school is. Not the school she works for, but HER school - the one she runs and the one that's going to have another class starting as soon as she gets back from her visit to the US. Maybe she's not the owner, just the head master or something, but it's imperative that she's present for day-to-day operations and she makes a lot of money in that position.

You guys here in the States may have to start supplementing her income to show there really is cash there from her business or just "make documents" to show it exists. Either way, it has to look like she's going back to her business... not her job.

I know you said your SIL typed an invitation letter, but did she do the actual paperwork too? When I applied for my SIL to come here (who was unemployed, unmarried, and had no kids) I did all the paperwork myself. The reason I did so was because I wanted them to see this was more me applying for her to come visit - and more importantly, go home! - than it was her applying to come visit with a letter from me as support. It's one thing to send mom a letter saying, "I'd like my mom to come visit me next summer." Quite another to say, "My MIL, XXXXova, will be visiting on or about Aug.XX to spend one week with myself and my husband, PR XXXXX, her son, then one week with USC XXX and his wife XXXXX, her daughter. Ms. XXXXova will return appx. Sept. XX to her job as head master of the Yakutsk International School of Design."

When they see an official reason to visit and an even better reason to return home, there's no reason for them not to issue a visa. If the application says "to visit family" that's a big red flag that screams "I could stay forever!"

I suggest filling out the documents yourself and reapplying in about six months. In the mean time, she should be working on her "new" job and your SIL should be doing her best to either get her some extra money or working with someone local to your MIL to get the correct documents made to support her new business.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Have any of you managed to bring your MIL's to the states for a visit? If Yes I would like to know what route you took to accomplish this.

Met online Sep 26 2009

Traveled to Ukraine Jan 22 2010

Spent 33 wonderful days together

Returned to US Feb 25 2010

K1 filed March 2010

Sent to VSC 2010-03-06

Received 03-08

Check cashed 03-10

NOA 1 dated 03-11

updated 03-16

Spending a week in Odessa and Kherson together 5-19-10 :)))))

NO RFE's

NOA 2 6-24-10

NVC recieve 6-28-10

NOA 2 Hard copy receive 6-29-10

NVC forward to Kiev 6-29-10 That was easy :)

Embassy receive 7-2-2010

Leave US 8-10 to attend interview

Interview 8-12-2010 :)))))))

VISA APPROVED 8-12-2010

POE Houston Tx. 8-20-2010

MARRIED Sep 25 2010 :))))))

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Have any of you managed to bring your MIL's to the states for a visit? If Yes I would like to know what route you took to accomplish this.

She applies for tourist visa in her country. Most important aspect is complying with " strongest ties" criteria.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Great circle route.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

There really is only 1 route that I can see unless you want to try and get a GC for your MIL. Have her apply for a tourist visa and see if she gets it.

We had my MIL here for the wedding and also for a visit this past summer. I wrote an invitation letter saying what we were inviting her to do and who was going to pay for what and signed a I-134 for her. She did the rest, filling out the necessary application.

She didn't have any trouble getting the visa. She had previous trips to Finland and Germany. She is listed as primary resident for her apartment (she sort of owns it but it isn't privatized). She doesn't have any sort of steady job that would be worth going back to if she wanted to stay.

This past summer, since her previous visa was still active, she was able to get a two year visa without going to an interview (since she was already approved at the previous interview).

I really can't say what factors make some people get a visa with no problems and other people get dragged through the coals. But we have never had any major problems.

This past year, my MIL also got a visa to the UK to visit her son (my wife's brother) and his family (he's doing a PhD in Scotland). She was denied the first time due to not having some required document to prove her son's residence there.

Edited by SMR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.