Mckenziemick

Is there a timeline to file AOS after expiration of I-94 and K-1

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello to everyone joining me in a new life with a lifetime partner.My Fiancee and I were married within the 90 days or her arrival.Her I-94 expired on the 23rd of January 2010 and her Visa will expire on Feb 19th 2010.We have been working on the forms for AOS.Is there a timeline for getting the AOS filed.And will the expiration of her Visa and I-94 affect the final outcome of her status if so.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Her K1 visa expired as soon as it was used to enter the US. There is no time requirement for filing for AOS. However she is currently out of status and that could potentially be a problem. There are many threads here on VJ about this subject.

Get the AOS filed as soon as you can. This protects her status here in the US. Apply for the Advance Parole if you think that she may want to travel outside the US and return prior to obtaining the Green Card. Also file for the EAD employment authorization if your spouse wants to work prior to obtaining the Green Card.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

everything the pp said is correct i would only add that you should keep your s.o. away from borders as well to be safe i believe there have been members here who have had problems with being out of status. we were late late late aos filers and were approved without incident. good luck and congrats on getting married.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Timeline
everything the pp said is correct i would only add that you should keep your s.o. away from borders as well to be safe i believe there have been members here who have had problems with being out of status. we were late late late aos filers and were approved without incident. good luck and congrats on getting married.

Thank you both for your advice,we are working hard trying to finalize all the correct info for the forms.If anyone else has more to add I'd love to hear from you.Thank you thank you,Michael and Jenny

You already have the best advice. The answer to your question is file ASAP, since her I-94 (and therefore her legal status in the US) has expired. From the perspective of the AOS process, you will not have an issue, and also as previously mentioned, being out of status DOES put your wife at risk in other aspects. Should she come into contact with law enforcement she could be "detained" and have quite an unpleasant time (from hours to DAYS) while things get sorted out. It's not probable (how often do you interact with a police officer on duty??), but the consequences of waiting outweigh the benefits in my mind - especially if you have the money to file.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Moving to AOS Filing and Case Reports to AOS from Family Based Visas.

Please remember that this forum is for status updates, not AOS questions. We don't want questions to get lost! :)

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Listen, I can tell you that you are NOT out of status. My wife and I waited nearly a year and a half to file for AOS. We recently made 2 different Infopass appointments to speak with an officer due to our fears that she was "out of status". It just isn't true. Why would two seperate officers tell us that she is not out of status if that were the case? That term is used for all other visa holders that allow their visas to expire. We were very concerned that she wouldn't be allowed back into the states if she used her approved travel document (AP) and possibly face a ban for several years. This was the info that some members were feeding us. You can technically wait as long as you wish to Adjust Status. You just can't work, travel, obtain a driver's license, etc. etc. That is a big setback. Of course you need to keep your nose clean because you technically don't have any document proving your validity. If you feel you can live problem free until you're ready to adjust, that's up to you. Don't let anyone tell you that you waited too long or that you're out of status. You're NOT married to an illegal alien. Rest well.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Timeline
Listen, I can tell you that you are NOT out of status. My wife and I waited nearly a year and a half to file for AOS. We recently made 2 different Infopass appointments to speak with an officer due to our fears that she was "out of status". It just isn't true. Why would two seperate officers tell us that she is not out of status if that were the case? That term is used for all other visa holders that allow their visas to expire. We were very concerned that she wouldn't be allowed back into the states if she used her approved travel document (AP) and possibly face a ban for several years. This was the info that some members were feeding us. You can technically wait as long as you wish to Adjust Status. You just can't work, travel, obtain a driver's license, etc. etc. That is a big setback. Of course you need to keep your nose clean because you technically don't have any document proving your validity. If you feel you can live problem free until you're ready to adjust, that's up to you. Don't let anyone tell you that you waited too long or that you're out of status. You're NOT married to an illegal alien. Rest well.

Thank you for the advice

Mick,

Please be sure to read the rebuttals of the opinions expressed in this thread before making any decisions.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=237125

K-1:

AOS:

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

ROC:

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline
Mick,

Please be sure to read the rebuttals of the opinions expressed in this thread before making any decisions.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=237125

I saw a rebuttal, but it was further rebutted. Is there a consensus on this yet?

The biggest issue I have is with the source behind the assertions. They may be authoritative in other matters (How to fix your RFE, find out what's going on with your case, make a service request, expedite AP, etc.) but the people at the INFOPASS appointments are not even in the same department as the people who would ENFORCE a ban on an overstay (AP) or the department who you would deal with if there was some question about a person's status. As they aren't even in the same department, and you have to go all the way to DC to find a common supervisory level, the guy behind the counter at the INFOPASS can only offer you his opinion about things, and I don't consider it an authoritative source, especially when the claims go against what is written in the policy and on the forms.

K-1:

AOS:

ROC:

I saw a rebuttal, but it was further rebutted. Is there a consensus on this yet?

Read this - it answers all your questions.

The I-94 controls your status - not the visa you used to enter on.

Once your I-94 expires, you are "out of status" - go over 180 days, regardless if you had an AP issued, you could be subjected to a ban. (this was confirmed by USCIS infopass - so it shows you that you can get different answers, depending on who you talk to)

There is no "technically" about it. Your either "in status" or "out of status". If you get stopped by ICE, and your I-94 is out of status, again, regardless of your married to an USC or not, you will have issues with them.

Only the NOA from the AOS stops this.

Will waiting x number of years to AOS hurt your chances of doing an AOS? no - but you still could have issues with ICE/CBP, which is not USCIS.

Best advice, do your AOS before you go out of status - doing anything else is at your own peril.

Edited by Bobby+Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Q: If a K-1 waits for 18 months after their I-94 expires to file AOS and also applies for AP and leaves the U.S. with the AP, will they be allowed to come back to the U.S. with the AP?

A: No. They are inadmissible because of the 18 month overstay. They were out of status for 18 months and their departure triggered a 10 year bar.

Edited by john_and_marlene

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.