trillium13

Are We the Only Ones?

92 posts in this topic

Bless your heart, psiprez!!! There's just nothing easy about a job hunt, let alone when there are two of you doing it and one of you is the immigrant. Those of us here understand in a way most 'normal' people cannot. Especially in this ####### economy. It's sad to me that people who are willing to do ANYthing can't find a job - mainly because there are so many other people in the same position. Being an immigrant really stacks things against you too.

SA4userbar.jpg

I've been reading this thread and I'm sorry that everyone has been having such a hard time. I'm not out in the US yet - I fly on the 4th of June. I've been reading different threads to see what has happened to people once they've moved. It seems that this is the result.

I was expecting things to be hard but from what I see it's going to be harder than hard. Extremely hard.

Is it down to where you are geographically as to how the recession has hit, or is it literally bad everywhere? I have been looking online at jobs and will do any job, but of course there has to be jobs out there to take, first...

To everyone that's going through hardship at this moment, I hope that everything improves for you. I feel that this place is a solid community, a family, so seeing so many people in difficulty is very saddening. People that may not know each other in the outside world connect through this forum and share their experiences. Having that link and to know that you really aren't alone and that as sad as it is, there are others who are going through this and Understand, must help just a little. Not in a literal sense but in an emotional sense.

I've been reading this thread and I'm sorry that everyone has been having such a hard time. I'm not out in the US yet - I fly on the 4th of June. I've been reading different threads to see what has happened to people once they've moved. It seems that this is the result.

I was expecting things to be hard but from what I see it's going to be harder than hard. Extremely hard.

Is it down to where you are geographically as to how the recession has hit, or is it literally bad everywhere? I have been looking online at jobs and will do any job, but of course there has to be jobs out there to take, first...

I'm not sure, Matt. I get the impression it's sort of everywhere (based on the posts here and on some other forums I've seen) - but I could be wrong. Where will you be living?

It seems to me the main problem is employers can't be bothered to check UK references, in which case, they sort of have to take you on your word. And that isn't going to fly with most places - really only if you 'know someone who knows someone'. Even that hasn't helped us though. Hubby's applied for two jobs where my sister works and never even got so much as a 'thanks for submitting your resume' letter or email.

I am starting to think that unless you work in a very specialized field, you're going to have problems - at least in this economy. I'm finding immigrants are having to be creative or accept jobs that are way below their training and experience just to get any sort of gainful employment.

SA4userbar.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Hello people,

I just want to tell you that I feel your pain.

I plan to move to the US in about a year from now and I got worried reading your comments:)

Currently I'm having a good job at HP in Prague working as account manager while my fiancee is doing her PHD in Boston.

We already decided that I will move to the US, I love her and I'm doing this for her so she can get her PHD but on the otherhand I'm worried about the current job market.

Anyways I hope your luck changes...

Good luck&all the best

I'm not sure, Matt. I get the impression it's sort of everywhere (based on the posts here and on some other forums I've seen) - but I could be wrong. Where will you be living?

It seems to me the main problem is employers can't be bothered to check UK references, in which case, they sort of have to take you on your word. And that isn't going to fly with most places - really only if you 'know someone who knows someone'. Even that hasn't helped us though. Hubby's applied for two jobs where my sister works and never even got so much as a 'thanks for submitting your resume' letter or email.

I am starting to think that unless you work in a very specialized field, you're going to have problems - at least in this economy. I'm finding immigrants are having to be creative or accept jobs that are way below their training and experience just to get any sort of gainful employment.

Hello Tracy. I'm osrry I haven't replied up to now. I didn't get a notification through saying you'd replied - but I'm tracking replies.

I'm going to Oak Harbor, WA. It's sad that UK references are checked. It makes me feel that I might have well not bothered working up to this point (for all the good that references do you)

I really will take whatever, with the exception of working in care - I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do some of the things my fiance does. Apart from that... anything else is a go.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I felt the exact same depression a few months after getting here.

I got here October 2009, and we filed the AOS December 23rd. Thankfully, our green card was approved lightning quick, and we got it first week of March.

Since getting it, I had been scrambling, sending resumes for every job I can think of. This Monday (April 12) I got the job offer! It's a really really nice job that pays well. It's the same job I did when I was still in the Philippines, so I am extra happy. I feel really blessed and lucky right now that I can finally help out at home, and be a productive individual again.

I Hope everybody here eventually ends up as lucky as me. God will provide.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is a us-wide problem.

I have been here for 5.5 years and (thankfully) am returning to the UK ***next month.***

Here I have only been able to find occasional lowest level call-centre work in columbus ohio.

Inevitably the jobs end because the requirements are just impossible to meet and maintain.

i.e. - I worked for verizon wireless as a customer service rep for 10 months - during this time

I received constant and disgusting verbal racial abuse from american customers - a typical one was "f***ing english pig" - usually because I could not give them a 100% credit for their calls.

One morning I was receiving my ***6th*** dose of racial abuse from a (literally) screaming female customer - I put down the phone on her - and immediately was effectively dismissed for putting the phone down on a customer.

My so-called supervisor told me that I had a "cultural difference problem" - so it was ok for cusotmers to abuse me.

Im sorry to ramble a bit - but my point is that this is the real experience of working in the non-civilisaiton of america for most foreign workers.

My strong advice to Any UK citizen thinking of coming here for work - is ***think again before its too late*** and you are possibly trapped here in medieval working conditions (and please dont even think about the infamous american "non-health service"!!!

I wont miss it for a moment!!!!

Hey all...

Just need to vent a little. My hubby got his GC nearly a year ago-and he's had a really hard time finding a job. I think he's been employed maybe 3 months out of the past year. :(

I have an ok job-it's not great but it pays the bills-barely. Unfortunately, the stress of our lack of finances has really been getting to me, and it shows. They want to cut my hours back at work because they say I'm working too much. That's only going to make our situation worse.

Hubby started school this month-we were hoping that would make it easier for us down the road. He's been filling out apps like crazy just looking for something part time to help out. So far nothing. :(

The timing of everything isn't great-if we had known my hours were going to be cut, we would probably have considered moving to a whole new area, but now that he's in school...we really want to continue with that. We live in East Texas, not the most economically booming area. There hasn't been a ton of job loss here, but there has definitely been some. And few if any new jobs at all. My hubby is really smart and a very hard worker-but unfortunately around here, it's less about what you can do, and more about who you know.

We're pretty stressed out about it all and I'm really at a loss as to what to do next. I'm just about ready to start looking for a second job myself. i just want to know that it's not just us. We don't personally know any other people in our situation. All of my coworkers have jobs (obviously) as do their spouses. We don't really know anyone else around here. My family is 1500 miles away, and his at least twice as far.

Thanks for listening...K

Hello Tracy. I'm osrry I haven't replied up to now. I didn't get a notification through saying you'd replied - but I'm tracking replies.

I'm going to Oak Harbor, WA. It's sad that UK references are checked. It makes me feel that I might have well not bothered working up to this point (for all the good that references do you)

I really will take whatever, with the exception of working in care - I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do some of the things my fiance does. Apart from that... anything else is a go.

No problem!

I agree about the references - it frustrates hubby that they won't even check them, or just discount his working history because it wasn't in the US. I think the other thing he has working against him is he was self employed as a mini cab driver for the last 15 years. While he can list references (the cab firm owners, etc), I don't think it's helping that he was doing something there that clearly he can't here - so he's kind of 'starting over'. And while he's had SO many different sorts of jobs prior to that - literally a jack of all trades - people don't seem to care, either because it isn't recent or because (again) of the UK references.

He has the same attitude you have but it hasn't helped him one bit. Early last year, he started a business out of our home repairing computers but it's been slightly slow going to build that up. I'm expecting so his main job as of July will be daddy. :) Honestly as much as daycare costs these days, that's like a salary in and of itself!!!

I do hope you have a different experience than he has had though, and soon!!!

SA4userbar.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

No, you're certainly not alone. Hubby has had the same troubles that your husband has had. He was a cab driver at Heathrow for the past 15 years - a job he actually LOVED - but as you can imagine doesn't 'translate' so well over here. He finally decided to start his own business repairing computers (something he always did 'on the side' over there) but as you can imagine, it's been hard building up a clientele.

We're lucky in the sense that I have a decent paying, stable job - but it has been really hard on him to feel that he doesn't contribute more than he does ($ wise). I try to tell him that cooking, cleaning, yard work AND the soon-to-be Mr. Mom role he'll be taking on is MORE than enough - but I know that has to hurt his male ego anyway.

I always knew him finding a job would be the hardest part of him emigrating - sometimes I wish we could warn impending immigrants of this because I think it's woefully underestimated. Feeling like you're contributing (esp. for a man) is important to overall happiness.

I can definitely relate in his situation, this will be my second month here and still no luck finding a job. It's really hard for us to see that our wives are the one whose taking care of everything when it comes to financial situation. I do every single household chores to help her but I know it's not enough, especially I have my in-laws here with us. I really feel uncomfortable whenever they are around.

I've been sending too may applications through the internet and even went to San Francisco International Airport to apply personally because airport was my last field of work in Saudi Arabia but still no calls and I'm starting to feel hopeless.

Dec 15,2009 - Assigned interview date on January 24,2010!!

Jan. 24, 2010 - Interview!! Approved

Jan. 28, 2010 - VISA received

Mar. 03,2010 - POE, New York (JFK)

Apr. 12,2010- CA ID

May 20,2010- CA Driving License

May, 25,2010-Wife told me that she is pregnant ^_^

Jan.25,2011- Our daughter was born

Lee and Jen + Karenza

I can definitely relate in his situation, this will be my second month here and still no luck finding a job. It's really hard for us to see that our wives are the one whose taking care of everything when it comes to financial situation. I do every single household chores to help her but I know it's not enough, especially I have my in-laws here with us. I really feel uncomfortable whenever they are around.

I've been sending too may applications through the internet and even went to San Francisco International Airport to apply personally because airport was my last field of work in Saudi Arabia but still no calls and I'm starting to feel hopeless.

Its been really hard on hubby too. He has that same feeling as you - that the in laws are judging him or think badly of him. Honestly most times he just doesn't allow himself to think about it anymore. I do think once our baby gets here, he'll feel he's contributing more because he'll be sparing us the cost of day care (which is no small amount). And it will be a load off my mind to have him be the caregiver - I'm not sure I would have considered having a baby right now if he wasn't going to be the caregiver. I feel very fortunate in that sense.

It sounds like you're doing everything you can - I definitely feel for you, and hubby can understand that hopeless feeling. Honestly if the economy were some better, I think that would make a difference too. As it is, it's just pretty dire. :(

SA4userbar.jpg

This is a us-wide problem.

I have been here for 5.5 years and (thankfully) am returning to the UK ***next month.***

Here I have only been able to find occasional lowest level call-centre work in columbus ohio.

Inevitably the jobs end because the requirements are just impossible to meet and maintain.

i.e. - I worked for verizon wireless as a customer service rep for 10 months - during this time

I received constant and disgusting verbal racial abuse from american customers - a typical one was "f***ing english pig" - usually because I could not give them a 100% credit for their calls.

One morning I was receiving my ***6th*** dose of racial abuse from a (literally) screaming female customer - I put down the phone on her - and immediately was effectively dismissed for putting the phone down on a customer.

My so-called supervisor told me that I had a "cultural difference problem" - so it was ok for cusotmers to abuse me.

Im sorry to ramble a bit - but my point is that this is the real experience of working in the non-civilisaiton of america for most foreign workers.

My strong advice to Any UK citizen thinking of coming here for work - is ***think again before its too late*** and you are possibly trapped here in medieval working conditions (and please dont even think about the infamous american "non-health service"!!!

I wont miss it for a moment!!!!

Well, bye bye then Richard. Hope you feel better after that rant.

To the OP: No you are not the only ones. My husband is the immigrant and I've been working a job I don't exactly love because I knew how difficult it would be once he arrived. We live in a "major" U.S. city and I just recently began earning what might be considered the basic "entry level" salary. It's possible to survive on this if we're really, REALLY frugal but not possible to build a real life together.

Since my husband has come here (4 months ago) we have looked everywhere for a job. I put his resume on every single job site out there. Meanwhile, he personally walked into every restaurant, bar and employment agency asking for work. So far, nothing. Not even a dishwashing job. Silly me I didn't know you needed a Masters Degree to wash dishes.

I am just going to accept the fact that my husband will not work for a long time or possibly ever and have tried to pick up a second job. I am also taking night class to improve my resume and hopefully I can someday make a big salary and actually have a house, car and kids before I die. Or not. I guess it's not up to me. I'm beyond disillusioned right now but aren't we all.

As for Monster.com and all those job websites, they SUCK. I actually found my current job through craigslist.com and although my husband hasn't found a job yet, he has been called for interviews through craigslist.

Filed for removal of conditions: April 26, 2012

NOA: April 30, 2012 (received May 10, 2012)

Biometrics: June 8, 2012

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

As for Monster.com and all those job websites, they SUCK.

I beg to differ. I got my first job through Monster over two years ago. Getting that foot in the door has since kept me employed except for 2 months of unemployment. To each his own I guess but personally I think that the more you put yourself out there the greater the chance of getting something.

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

*************************************************************************************************

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

*************************************************************************************************

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, here's to hoping everyone gets a job soon! (L)

I was 19 when my DH and I decided we were going down this path (a painfully long, long time ago I still can't believe my young adulthood is just gone over this whole business...) and I was supposed to be choosing what uni to go to. Since I had been here, following other peoples stories and experiences it was pretty obvious that in nearly any job people had their international experience didn't really count for much. US employers clearly want people with US work history.

As for US education if anyone is considering it (I'm hoping to if I ever get these stupid conditions removed >.>) it seems like unless your particular school is already well known for your field you may as well go to a state college. My USC husband attended AIU, they landed him a ton of debt and really didn't teach him very much. When in interviews talking about his education, employers often went "you went where? Never heard of it".

REALLY watch out for some of these stupid colleges that aren't even accredited too, all so eager to sell you something that's absolutely worthless. This website is really helpful: http://www.studentsreview.com/

Not had a job in the 3 years I've been here but most of that is because we had a baby early. Not recommended generally, but I have a fertility disease so was advised not to wait around. It's hard financially but I have fervently been working on my drawing skill since having DS, half to protect my sanity and half to protect my sense of identity. It's starting to pay off, I've had a few commissions lately and when they're done I'm going to set up a little Etsy shop. Though it's questionable I'd have any sales at all, let alone make enough to pay the business license for the county :lol:

Living with inlaws, not fun! I love mine but they can be so bigoted sometimes and when it came to my son, my FIL and I almost came to blows one night. Then it t'was time to pack our bags!

Hang on in there everyone, try not to get so discouraged that you don't make the most of your time at home to do stuff. Mind you, the daytime tv is so bad it makes you almost glad to do housework :blink:

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

Definitely not alone! My husband will complete two years here in May and it is still a struggle. He spent many months intensively working on his English skills, applied to every kind of job under the sun, has worked for a temp agency (with some success), and is now back in school finishing his university degree but trying to find part time work for when he is not in class. He would tell you that finding employment has been the hardest part of his immigration journey, and obviously that effects his morale and sense of self.

Honestly, it really stinks when people say thinks like "well, he can always get a job at a fast food place". umm...actually, no. He has applied, he has gone to interviews for everything from bakerys to restraunts, from cashiers to tellers, from data entry to administrative assistant.....and guess what? There are TONS of people applying for those same jobs because they, too, are out of work and are trying to find something--anything. In our experience, there is no "fall back job" at this point in our economy.

Yes, it does! My and my hubby are both unemployed with no luck yet. We have applied to all places. I have had some interviews but they need more "experienced"... One day a friend told us that Walmart in our area was hiring, that a former marine said to her he was unemployed for two years, then applied online at Walmart and three days after he was hired. Her suggestion was good, but we have applied already not only to Walmart but as many places...

One day I was talking with my sister-in-law, first talk over the phone, and gently suggested the same advice, I said already we have sent our resumes. Her answer was: So do Ryan and you look for any job?. My answer: Sure... everyday. *but my inner voice said this: DUh! yeah!We don't spend all day looking at the roof!*

Right now I am applying for two other jobs, I am praying and crossing my fingers, it is not only because I want the job but both are related to my career, what I love to do. ;) Hopefully something will come out!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.