Bryanj

Divorce decree

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have no experience on this one. So wait for more experienced members to chime in.

But it sounds like having all of them wouldn't hurt. Granted, you have to be legally divorced from your first marriage to have a second, but...

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

If you were previously married more than once, do you need a copy of your most recent divorce decree or a copy all previous divorce decrees ?
Edited by bebop + rocksteady

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

You will want to submit evidence ALL previous marriages are terminated. :yes:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

yes, you need copies of all the divorce decrees.

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

All of them for both you and your fiance.

And make sure they are all 'certified' ... my fiance's (the USC) divorce papers were the ones sent to him in the mail by the lawyers, It had one red stamp on it. We received an RFE over the divorce papers/ My SO called the divorce lawyer who said he would need to take the papers to the court house to have them stamped with some kind of raised seal . They did not stamp the original papers but did a search and printed out a copy of whatever records they keep and stamped them. Sorry I can't be more specific- Im not in the US and didnt see the RFE, but I know I've seen posts by other members over the same thing, who may have more specific information.

April 14 - sent I-129F to Vermont

April 25 - NOA1

May, June, July lost to IMBRA and RFE's

Aug 22 - NOA2

Sept 25 - interview date OCTOBER 13th

Oct 26 - arrived at JFK - work authorized

Nov 21 - apply SSN, received Nov 29

Dec 16 - marriage license

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Feb 07 - NOA1 ,check cashed

Feb 28 - notice I-485 sent to CSC

Mar 10 - Biometrics

Apr 16 - surprise RFE arrives..they lost my medical. New medical returned, Apr 23

Jun 1st - RFE ..more medical BS ( go back for TB skin test)

Jun 28 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

July 06- Green card arrives.

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

June 19 - NOA extension letter ( card expires June 26th)

July 03 - Biometrics notice

July 14 - Biometrics appointment

OCT 29 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

If you were previously married more than once, do you need a copy of your most recent divorce decree or a copy all previous divorce decrees ?

You will need a copy of all divorce decrees. I know. If one is in another state or county you can send off for a copy.

Removing Conditions

May 29 2009 - Vermont received I-751

June 01 2009 - NOA

July 13 2009 - Biometric

Oct 22 2009 - E-mail - card ordered

Oct 23 2009 - Received letter - approval date 10/19.

And make sure they are all 'certified' ... my fiance's (the USC) divorce papers were the ones sent to him in the mail by the lawyers, It had one red stamp on it. We received an RFE over the divorce papers/ My SO called the divorce lawyer who said he would need to take the papers to the court house to have them stamped with some kind of raised seal . They did not stamp the original papers but did a search and printed out a copy of whatever records they keep and stamped them. Sorry I can't be more specific- Im not in the US and didnt see the RFE, but I know I've seen posts by other members over the same thing, who may have more specific information.

Why would you have gotten an RFE asking for certified originals of his divorce papers? The instructions on the I-129F form say copies are OK:

Copies. If these instructions state a copy of adocument may be filed with this petition, you maysubmit a copy rather than an original. If you choose to send the original, U.S. Citizenship and ImmigrationServices (USCIS) may keep that original for our records. If USCIS requires the original, we will request it.

If either you or your fiancé(e) were married before,give copies of documents showing that each priormarriage was legally terminated.

Was there something that made them want a closer look at his divorce? Not being nosey just parinoid.

[

Why would you have gotten an RFE asking for certified originals of his divorce papers? The instructions on the I-129F form say copies are OK:

Copies. If these instructions state a copy of adocument may be filed with this petition, you maysubmit a copy rather than an original. If you choose to send the original, U.S. Citizenship and ImmigrationServices (USCIS) may keep that original for our records. If USCIS requires the original, we will request it.

If either you or your fiancé(e) were married before,give copies of documents showing that each priormarriage was legally terminated.

Was there something that made them want a closer look at his divorce? Not being nosey just parinoid.

- Well we had 6 touches before we got the RFE. We think it might be that the photocopy of his papers did not pick up the stamps clearly enough that were already on it..( I only remember one small red one) and perhaps they ummed and aahed over it. Apparently the confusion was over this 'raised seal' However when he called the lawyer who handled the divorce, the man knew exactly what was needed and told him to go to the court house to get the stamps he needed. Seems it was something that did not fall under the lawyers responsibility. SO because of the photocopy problem, we had three copies made and stamped ( $8 each) so a live copy went back with RFE, one to send to me and one back up.

or :

The divorce papers he had were from the court saying -------- and ----------- divorced on this day etc...on the grounds of --------------" I dont know if there is a difference between court papers and some kind of certificate that is recognised for international purposes . I forgot to ask him if the papers they printed for him were the same as the ones he had, or more like an official certificate. Ill ask when we chat next.

April 14 - sent I-129F to Vermont

April 25 - NOA1

May, June, July lost to IMBRA and RFE's

Aug 22 - NOA2

Sept 25 - interview date OCTOBER 13th

Oct 26 - arrived at JFK - work authorized

Nov 21 - apply SSN, received Nov 29

Dec 16 - marriage license

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Feb 07 - NOA1 ,check cashed

Feb 28 - notice I-485 sent to CSC

Mar 10 - Biometrics

Apr 16 - surprise RFE arrives..they lost my medical. New medical returned, Apr 23

Jun 1st - RFE ..more medical BS ( go back for TB skin test)

Jun 28 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

July 06- Green card arrives.

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

June 19 - NOA extension letter ( card expires June 26th)

July 03 - Biometrics notice

July 14 - Biometrics appointment

OCT 29 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE. I had to give certified copies from my previous divorces and one was from another country so for that one i had to show them the original. They take these divorces very seriously,mainly when its from another country to see as to whether it is done according to the laws of that country. because of my last experience we faced a big mess and were told my previous divorce was not acceptable and there for my previous marriage was void. I had to refile the divorce in my home state, and then refile for fiance visa and start all over. They wanted to see the orginal divorce decree for that previous divorce and then investigated it. we started our whole process in Dec 2003( married ) (filed in march 2004) were denied in July 2005 refiled divorce in August 2005 and refiled for visa feb 2006. now things are doing well. we are waiting to hear for interview date. they called today to let us know the documents we supplied were enough and they'd be contacting us soon for the interview.

ARR.jpgaug06ayeshaB.jpg

Meeting Online: Yahoo chartroom Aug 2001.

Direct meeting & marriage: Dec 2003 USA, NY

I-130 petition in DCFR Tokyo: March 14th 2004. Case reffered to DHS USCIS

Four visits to japan in 2004: Oct 2004, wife got pragnant.

Wife/Fiance left USA and moved into Japan: Feb 5th 2005.

Baby Born: June 24th 2005(Japan)

I-130 denied: July 17 2005(Divorce was declared not valid)

Refiling Divorce: oJuly 17th 2005 NY State.

Divorce granted: Nov 17th 2005

K-1 application: Mar 1st 2006

Approval: May 23rd 2006

US consulate RFE: June 15th 2006

FRE sent (Original passports, birth certificate, all origional docs): July 10th 2006

Medical: Oct 11th 2006.

Interview: Nov 10th 2006(expected)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I sumitted all of my previous divorce decrees (2). My application just been approved.

I have no experience on this one. So wait for more experienced members to chime in.

But it sounds like having all of them wouldn't hurt. Granted, you have to be legally divorced from your first marriage to have a second, but...

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Definately make a copy of all divorce certificates. Better you have to many than too less.

v34h.jpg

LhJUm4.png

pf2Rm4.png

7gOjm4.png?2CQ9jiXQ

Met on October 18, 1996 in a bar called "Calypso" in Richmond, Virginia, during my Au-Pair year

View complete Timeline:

Quick Facts:
02/23/2006 - sent I 129 to VSC (first step done!) 07/13/2006 - received Visa!
09/22/2006 - civil marriage in New York City
10/05/2006 - sent AOS papers to VSC
12/11/2006 - Welcome Letter and GREEN CARD in Mail!!!!!! Lets' party!!!!!
09/24/2008 - sent Removal of conditions package to VSC
07/02/2009 - received 10 year Green Card! YEAH!!!!! Finally!
2014 - Citizenship

You answered your own question.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

You answered your own question.

I was wondering why they would need the original. They could do any checks they wanted to with the copy, unless they thought the copy was a fake or something. I just sent in copies of my divorce. In all this waiting for my NOA2 I am just getting parinoid.

I thought what lisaf meant was that the version of the divorce papers that her fiance sent in were not certified by a court (meaning no court stamp). So the issue wasn't that it was a photocopy, but rather that it didn't have the 'official' marking on it from the court. (Unless I misinterpreted lisa's post!)

The copy I have of mine has a court stamp/seal on it, the date and the signature of the court officer who procured the copy for me. I plan to send that in with my petition - not the original, which is actually on file in the court clerk's office. The best you can get is a copy of that original from the court itself with their stamp/seal (which I paid $26 for, thank you very much!).

SA4userbar.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.