23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Thank you everybody! :D It's just now sinking in :P I'm packing everything up, Ashley's reworking her schedule so we can have a couple days off when I arrive, and we're checking the DHL site almost hourly for any signs of movement :P

mlybrand: hang in there, bud :) It sounds like your family's a heartbeat away from being done :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Hey all,

After eight months navigating the complex, often bewildering, and occasionally infuriating waters of US immigration, I've been granted a CR-1 visa to join my beautiful Ashley in Massachusetts :dance::dance::dance:

For all the support, guidance, and encouragement I've received here, thank you very very much from both of us. I'm pretty convinced the support system VJ offers helped us keep our sanity at times :wacko::thumbs:

I promise I'll fill in my timeline as soon as I get home and catch up on sleep (I'm writing this from a cybercafe at the airport in Caracas, waiting for my flight to Maracaibo, my hometown), but here's a description of the process, including the questions I was asked:

According to my appointment letter, I was to show up at 7:45am. However, I wanted to arrive early and was there by seven sharp. I went through a line to get my letter and identity verified, and then through a longer one to verify I wasn't carrying anything I wasn't supposed to carry. I had to empty my pockets and take off my jacket, but no metal detectors yet. Time elapsed: about 30 minutes.

I was then sent to another line, leading to the main waiting area outdoors, where the tourist visa applicants get sorted. I was told that once I gained entrance to his area, I could jump the line and go through security. I'm pretty sure I got the evil eye from a couple people as I was waved in after showing my IV access ticket. Went through two security checkpoints, both times having my belongings going through X-rays and myself through a metal detector. Total time: about 10 minutes.

I was then ushered into the IV section, which is simply a series of window booths a bit apart from the booths used for tourist visas. I took a ticket and discovered I was fourth in line. "I'll be done in a flash", I thought. Nice thought :P

We waited for about an hour until embassy personnel arrived to do the initial documents checkup. Well, the people in line ahead of me turned out to be an investor visa applicant, with tons of financial documents to check, and dual citizenship for both him and his wife, three countries total. They took about 45 minutes to be done with their checkup. Then, there was a family of four. Another half hour, though their time overlapped with the first couple's (there were two officers checking documents). Then there was a married couple, and finally it was my turn. The guy initially couldn't find our marriage act, and asked if I had brought it in, but I told him it was in the package he had, and he found it after looking for a few more seconds. Very polite guy, but very serious and business-like. I was given a sheet of paper explaining the implications of the oath I had taken on my DS-230.

After another half hour or so, the interviewing officer arrived. She was a young American woman, blond and with a friendly face. Again, she took a long time checking the investor's papers, and the she called them over for their interview. After about 10 minutes she congratulated them on getting their visas approved. She told them they would be delivered in about two weeks. The man asked about picking them up in person, but I didn't catch the CO's answer.

The family of four was called next. Their interview wasn't very long, but again, their papers were checked again before any questions were asked. They were approved also.

Just as I was preparing to be interviewed after the married couple I mentioned earlier, I realized the docs she was now sifting through were mine. She called my name after a few minutes, and asked me if I had understood the oath document I have been given to read, and if I had any questions. When I said I understood, she started the interview. She spoke perfect Spanish, she asked me the following questions (in the order I remember them):

-What's your full name?

-When were you born?

-When did you guys get married?

-Is it the first marriage for both of you?

-Any children?

She then switched to English and asked me "Do you speak English, or does she speak Spanish?" I answered in English that we communicate in English, but that she's learning Spanish. She said "Ah, ok" and switched back to Spanish.

-Where was your wife born?

-What does she do for a living?

She then asked about my evidence. My wife had included wedding pics in her I-130, so she asked if I had any pics from other situations. I told her that I didn't, as we're not big on pics. I was kicking myself for not thinking of taking more pics when she was here, but she didn't seem concerned. She asked for email/char evidence and I proudly gave her my mammoth 150-page+ archive, and she only looked through a few of them before handing it back. I didn't get a chance to show the letters from my in-laws and mother, or the snail mail.

She told me "your visa is approved, I'm giving you a ticket so you can go pay the delivery fee. You'll receive it in about 2 weeks". She smiled, asked if I had any questions, and then wished me a good day :) It took all of my self-control not to do a jig on my way out :P

While I paid the delivery fee (60 Bolivars, for any Venezuelans reading), I asked the clerk how long it would be. He said about a week. So I'm hoping for a week or less (a friend received his passport back in three days last December, though it was a tourist visa and maybe not an indicator for my case), but ready for two :P I decided to pick it up at their local office in Maracaibo, hoping it will speed up the process, instead of waiting for home delivery. I was given a tracking number, and they said they would notify me when it arrived.

So that's my tale. I woke up knowing we had done everything right, dotted every i and crossed every t, but of course, the nerves don't really go away until you hear the magic word. I had no idea how stressed I had been lately till the CO told me "la visa ha sido aprobada" :)

Once again, VJ, thank you!!! :dance::thumbs:

congratulation...!!! :thumbs:

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Oh, happy day!! Congratulations, and much happiness to you both when you reach Massachusetts. (I am a fellow New Englander located in Maine.) :)

All the best,

~Beth

Do you see how big the sea is?

Do you see how big the sea is? My love for you is as big as the sea.

Do you see how far the sky is? My love for you is as far as the sky.

As big as the sea and as far as the sky I love you,

I waited for you, I called upon you, I drew you on the promenades,

You sorrow of my life, you tears of the flowers, you season of the birds,

How vast the forest is, my heart is as vast as the forest.

You who are drawn on my door, and drawn in my heart,

I waited for you a year, and throughout the year I would ask the walnut trees,

and I would see you in the sunny days, coming from the sunny days, and lost in the almond leaves,

How small is a tear, and I am just a tear in your way,

I want to vow a candle so that you would let me love you.

Fayrouz's song

K-1 Visa

AOS,EAD,AP.

Greencard Received : 2010/10/02

Date AP Received : 2010-10-04

Date EAD Card Received : 2010-10-06

Filed: Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Felicidades! Mi Caraquenio and I are waiting for a NOA2... great to hear your good news :)

K-1 visa process:

18 May 2008 - Started dating in Venezuela

30 Aug 2009 - Ripped apart! by a job transfer back to the US :(

15 Dec 2009 - I-129f received at VSC by A. Stanley

17 Dec 2009 - NOA1

20 Jan 2010 - NOA2

22 Jan 2010 - NVC received case

26 Jan 2010 - NVC sent case to Embassy

01 Feb 2010 - Emailed CCS Embassy with NVC # to request interview

03 Mar 2010 - Interviewed and APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =) =) =)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Congrulations (F):dance:

CR-1 Timeline

12/06/2007: I-130 petition sent to Chicago Lockbox.

01/30/2008: Received NOA 1.

04/25/2008: I-130 APPROVED.

06/04/2008: Came to know about Visa Journey.com.

07/02/2008: CASE COMPLETED.

07/14/2008: Case transferred to Mumbai.

08/27/2008: Interview - Visa Approved

09/03/2008: POE-Chicago

09/04/2008: Applied for SSN

09/11/2008: Received SSN

10/27/2008: Received "Welcome Letter"

11/04/2008: USCIS mailed the approval notice

11/06/2008: Green Card Received !!!

I-751 Timeline

07/02/2010: I-751 mailed to CSC

07/06/2010: CSC received I-751 application

07/06/2010: Check cashed

07/09/2010: CSC mailed the NOA1. Dated: 07/06/2010

07/13/2010: NOA1 Notice received

07/28/2010: Biometrics Appointment Letter received. Dated: 07/20/2010

08/17/2010: Biometrics appointment--- Done

10/07/2010: Approved- Green card production ordered

10/08/2010: Touched

10/15/2010: Green Card Received

N-400 Timeline

06/06/2011: N-400 mailed to AZ Lockbox

06/08/2011: AZ Lockbox received N-400 application

06/13/2011: Check cashed

06/13/2011: NOA1 Notice mailed & received the text

06/23/2011: Biometrics Appointment Letter Mailed

06/27/2011: Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

07/06/2011: Biometrics Appointment-Done

07/08/2011: Placed in line for Interview

08/29/2011: Interview Letter received

10/04/2011: Interview

11/15/2011: Placed in line for Oath Ceremony

06/01/2012: Oath Ceremony.. Finally...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Thanks, Bani :D

Sorry to bump my own thread, but I wanted to give you guys one more update :P

I received my passport yesterday, and just purchased my plane ticket. I leave tomorrow, my POE will be Miami, and then I'll head up to Boston, where Ashley and my father-in-law will be waiting :)

Thank you again, VJ, this website is truly, truly invaluable :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.