jundp

Personal attacks

186 posts in this topic

good one.

Now he wants to hold hands :rofl:

AJ! Live on STAGE! TONIGHT! SING IT BOY!

/v/L_XFMCgeI7c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
It's the stifling of speech that's intolerable. At the height of the Cold War in the 1950s, there was widespread blacklisting of screenwriters, actors, directors, musicians based solely upon unsubstantiated fear mongering by the House Committee on Un-American Activities that these were active Communist agents. Lives and careers were destroyed by the very elected representatives sworn to uphold our Constitution, including the First Amendment. I'm reminded by that whenever I hear criticism of C4C badges or Che or Mao symbols.

I'm not a Communist. I am well aware of the abuses perpetrated by the USSR, Communist China, Erich Honecker and the DDR, Pol Pot, Castro and all their kin. I condemn them and what they stood for, all of them. I also uphold the right of anyone - left-leaning college professors, hippie kids in Berkeley CA, VJ members, or just plain teenage mallrats - to write or wear whatever the hell they like on their T-shirts, placards, or VJ signature files. In the 1970s the ACLU protected the right of the American Nazi Party to march through Skokie IL. It was controversial, I remember at the time (as a Jewish kid) the outrage in my synagogue and community about this 'sellout'. Now, 30 years later, I think the ACLU was spot on.

I wouldn't equate an offended poster with HUAC. They don't have that kin of power. Keep it in perspective. I understand your belief in free speech but you weren't too happy with a poster who had an signature image with a Nazi symbol for a short while. By contrast, the hammer and sickle crowd on VJ were far more numerous, have been around for long time and still thought it was funny even when I expressed my displeasure but didn't tell them to remove the symbols.

The problem is some speech pisses off some more than others but I try to explain why something is offensive and hope they'll take the hint. It could be ignorance on their part but some know its striking a nerve and they decide to escalate the situation.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I think we agree here much more than you might think.

Avid 'free speechers' (you and I both) understand that sometimes (often?) we'll be challenged by speech that offends our sensibilities. It's how we react that's important. It's perfectly ok to be offended, and to make it clear that we're offended or outraged. Doing so is just as much an exercise of free speech as the originating act. You have every bit as much right to be peeved by C4C badges as the C4C gang has to post them.

It's the stifling of speech that's intolerable. At the height of the Cold War in the 1950s, there was widespread blacklisting of screenwriters, actors, directors, musicians based solely upon unsubstantiated fear mongering by the House Committee on Un-American Activities that these were active Communist agents. Lives and careers were destroyed by the very elected representatives sworn to uphold our Constitution, including the First Amendment. I'm reminded by that whenever I hear criticism of C4C badges or Che or Mao symbols.

I'm not a Communist. I am well aware of the abuses perpetrated by the USSR, Communist China, Erich Honecker and the DDR, Pol Pot, Castro and all their kin. I condemn them and what they stood for, all of them. I also uphold the right of anyone - left-leaning college professors, hippie kids in Berkeley CA, VJ members, or just plain teenage mallrats - to write or wear whatever the hell they like on their T-shirts, placards, or VJ signature files. In the 1970s the ACLU protected the right of the American Nazi Party to march through Skokie IL. It was controversial, I remember at the time (as a Jewish kid) the outrage in my synagogue and community about this 'sellout'. Now, 30 years later, I think the ACLU was spot on.

Free speech is not just a slogan. It's tough, and sometimes very uncomfortable to really stand behind it and believe in it.

As famously mis-attributed to Voltaire: ""I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

STFU :P

And I agree w/ you. I believe the whole McCarthyism was just as bad (if not worse) then what it stood against. It is just that when I see a kid that is wearing the Che shirt I cannot help but see the irony that the kid is spending money at a cooperate store, the point I was trying to make was that a lot of these kids just want to "rage against the machine" and they have no idea who they are actually supporting or what these ppl stand for like Susita said earlier. I don't care what anyone wears honestly.... well actually I do, I hate douches that still pop their collar on polo shirts...there I said it.

K-1,VSC, Moscow Consulate

I-129F sent:2009-06-04

NOA1: 2009-06-09

NOA2: 2009-09-16

NVC Received: 2009-09-17

NVC Left: 2009-09-22

Consulate Received: 2009-09-25

Medical: IOM, Moscow, 2009-12-07

Interview: 2009-12-08

Visa Received: 2009-12-14

Arrival to USA: 2010-01-15

Marriage: 2010-03-27

AOS, EAD, AP

CIS Office: Charleston, SC

Filed AOS Package: 2010-05-26

NOA: 2010-06-04

Bio Appt: 2010-07-09

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2010-06-30

EAD Card Production Order: 2010-08-04

AP Received: 2010-08-09

ROC

I-751 sent: 2012-7-11

NOA-1: 2012-8-1

Bio-Appointment: 2012-9-19

Filed: Timeline
... when I see a kid that is wearing the Che shirt I cannot help but see the irony that the kid is spending money at a cooperate store ...

I think Che would have wanted the kid to spend his money at a cooperate store :innocent:

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline
You are all a bunch of poopie butts! :star:

Reported

If I could, the wife wouldn't need the harness!

:rofl:

Marriage: 2010-03-27

AOS, EAD, AP

CIS Office: Charleston, SC

Filed AOS Package: 2010-05-26

NOA: 2010-06-04

Bio Appt: 2010-07-09

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2010-06-30

EAD Card Production Order: 2010-08-04

AP Received: 2010-08-09

ROC

I-751 sent: 2012-7-11

NOA-1: 2012-8-1

Bio-Appointment: 2012-9-19

your sarcasm meter is off.

Its been calibrated! Its right on the money. I love the BANGS by the way. :rofl:

/v/kF8998NO_ys&hl=en_US&fs=1&"

Edited by ={Rogue}=

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

― Andrew Wilkow

"right on the money"... is that an industry term?

No its a SUIT!

― Andrew Wilkow

Timeline
That's interesting. Gotta love the haystack, it's how they roll in the barrios eh.

I feel a personal attack coming up in 3....2....1....

Edited by Chris_Жанна