Erroneous

Child's social security number?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Reading the guide on how to obtain a social security number, I just had a few questions..

My wife's child is eligible to recieve a SS number (came in the US under a K2 visa) for the sole reason of insurance which requires a social security number. I assume the social security agency is aware of this, but will they require a written document from my insurance before they will issue one?

Also, we applied for my wife's social security number using her maiden name, but now that we are married she will be changing it to the same as mine. So we must go back with a new SS-5 and apply for it to be changed. Since we did not file for her son's social security number at the same time, can we just apply for a new social security number for her son using his new name? Or do they require one to be created under his name he entered the US using, and then once it is issued they will then change it using another application?

Thank you for the help.

-

Erroneous

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If I recall (from when my K-2 daughter arrived in the U.S.) we were not able to get her a SSN card until after she became a Permanent Resident (after she was approved for the Green Card).

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

what do you mean "his new name"? You getting married doesn't give him a new name. You have to apply for a name change or adopt the child.... unless I'm missing something here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I will be adopting him at some point. But you said apply for a name change. Apply where since he has no social security documents/number as of yet. We will apply for SS under his current name, and once he is adopted change his name to my last name. Just so I am clear, adoption is the only way to change his name or social security will also change it by just showing a marriage certificate?

I am not an expert, and I am learning about the social security process as I go.

Thanks for the help.

-

Erroneous

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I will be adopting him at some point. But you said apply for a name change. Apply where since he has no social security documents/number as of yet. We will apply for SS under his current name, and once he is adopted change his name to my last name. Just so I am clear, adoption is the only way to change his name or social security will also change it by just showing a marriage certificate?

I am not an expert, and I am learning about the social security process as I go.

Thanks for the help.

I believe adoption is the only way as you marrying his mother changes nothing, a name change is another way (eventually of course). His father will need to sign off on the adoption which I'm sure you know.

A lawyer will be needed for it though I assume.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Timeline
My wife's child is eligible to recieve a SS number (came in the US under a K2 visa) for the sole reason of insurance which requires a social security number. I assume the social security agency is aware of this, but will they require a written document from my insurance before they will issue one?

Also, we applied for my wife's social security number using her maiden name, but now that we are married she will be changing it to the same as mine. So we must go back with a new SS-5 and apply for it to be changed. Since we did not file for her son's social security number at the same time, can we just apply for a new social security number for her son using his new name? Or do they require one to be created under his name he entered the US using, and then once it is issued they will then change it using another application?

A K-2 child need work authorization or a valid non work reason to be assigned an SSN and putting the child on your health insurance is not a valid non work reason to be assigned an SSN. So you apply for an EAD card for the child or wait until the AOS is approved and the child is issued an I-551 stamp or card.

The EAD application cost is part of the AOS submission so I would get the kid an EAD card. If you don't want to do that and need a number for taxes apply with the IRS for an ITIN.

SSA is going to use the name on the child's immigration document as the child's legal name, unless you provide a legal name change document and for a child that going to be either a court ordered name change or a adoption decree.

Now as far as your wife changing her name and being issued an SSN card in that name it's going to depend on how long she has been here to determine the documents that are needed. If she has been here 76 days or more she is going to need an EAD card. If she has been here less than 76 days she is still eligible based on her K-1 status and using her I-94, but her status still needs to be verified before the card can be issued. If she enters into the 76 day period while waiting for her status to be verified she will need to wait until she has an EAD card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.