11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi All,

I thought I would share my experience regarding the I-693 paperwork we needed to get done last week.

After searching the forums and arming myself with plenty of knowledge (God bless VJ!), I called a Civil Surgeons clinic in downtown Charlotte. They said that they could do my vaccination worksheet and transcribe my I-693 for me with no appointment for $45. Great!

We headed down there the next day, and presented one of the nurses who worked there with all my information. I needed an MMR jab to complete my vaccinations following my medical in London, and this was done in London - so I just needed the Clinic to note this and for the Civil Surgeon to sign it off on the I-693.

Now, the nurse was very nice but really tried to get me to do a full medical exam at the cost of around $375 or else she wouldn't complete my I-693! I stood my ground and told that her that I didn't need a full exam, and thank god I took a printout of the USCIS I-693 instructions with me, as it clearly states that I only need to fill in Part 1 (Info about me), Part 2 (Vaccination Chart) and have the Civil Surgeon complete Part 5.

After some discussion, the nurse agreed that a full medical wasn't required - but a couple of minutes later she came over and told me that I didn't have a record of the 2nd MMR shot I needed.. I said 'what do you mean?', and she explained that since July 2009, US Immigration requires an applicant to have TWO MMR JABS, the 2nd booster jab taking place 30 days after the 1st one.

I did not know this at all, and was especially cheesed off when the clinic said that to get the jab with them then would cost a further $85!

I conceded and got the jab (better to get it sorted there and then), and all my paperwork was signed and completed by the Civil Surgeon - but after the event both I and my wife were pretty shocked and frustrated. At no point did Knightsbridge Doctors in London (the US Embassy's official physician) tell me 2 x MMR jabs were needed, in fact my paperwork/letter from them states clealy in black and white that simply 1 dose of the MMR vaccination was required. And this was in September 09, 2 months after this supposed new requirement came out!

If I needed 2 shots, I would have arranged for my doctor in London to have administered the vaccines rather than paying here in the USA. But my point is that why is this information not freely available to applicants, and why does the USCIS make things so hard? If they are going to change the process, surely their own doctors should be made aware so they can inform applicants well in advance? Why is this type of information so hard to come by on the USCIS websites too?

I spoke to another nurse whilst waiting, and she told me that many applicants who had their I-693's signed off by this same clinic between July and December 09, had already come back after recieving RFE's from the USCIS saying that their vaccination records weren't up to date - and that the clinic wasn't aware of this at the time and only realised the change in regulations 'around October, when people kept coming back'. I felt so sorry for those poor people who had wasted their time.

I guess it's just my frustration at being made to jump through so many hoops by US Immigration just in order to be with my wife and to stay with her - and I'm not the first to question why this process is so unneccessarily difficult. But sometimes, it seems that no matter how conscientious or well informed you are, left hand does not seem to know what right hand is doing when it comes to Civil Surgeons and the USCIS!

Hope this post helps someone else avoid a frustrating morning in future. Peace out.

V

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I had the same experience but in Atlanta. I found a CS who would transcribe for $45. I get there and managed to talk with the Dr to explain that I didn't need the full medical but she made it clear that I needed a second MMR and that they are now a 2 shot vac. They charged me $65 and like you I thought it was easier to just get it done there. It's crazy but I'm hoping now that we won't get and RFE as so many have done lately.

K1
12.1.09 interview - APPROVED!!!
12.21.09 wedding

AOS
12.22.09 Application sent overnight
6.22.10 Green Card approved

ROC

Oct 2012

Naturalization

04.02.13 Application received

04.20.13 Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I had the same experience but in Atlanta. I found a CS who would transcribe for $45. I get there and managed to talk with the Dr to explain that I didn't need the full medical but she made it clear that I needed a second MMR and that they are now a 2 shot vac. They charged me $65 and like you I thought it was easier to just get it done there. It's crazy but I'm hoping now that we won't get and RFE as so many have done lately.

I am confused by this need for another dose of MMR. We are about to file for AOS, and my fiance only has had one MMR vaccination. According to the USCIS website and 2009 vaccination technical instructions, it says: "Because completion of the vaccination series often requires several months, applicants are not required to have received all doses of the ACIP-recommended vaccines to fulfill the vaccination requirements for AOS. Rather they are required to have received at least one dose of each recommended vaccine."

However, in a previous paragraph is states that if the applicant had previously received doses but had not completed the series, then the next recommended dose should be administered.

Can someone provide clarification on this please? This information is dated 12/15/09, so it is current but appears to be misleading. Is MMR normally a one time vaccination? Is he safe with just the one dose and then have another one later once he is on my health insurance? THank you for your help. We really can't afford to get an RFE at this point. Here is the link to the info I found:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/civil_sur...nstructions.pdf

Edited by menina
event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I am confused by this need for another dose of MMR. We are about to file for AOS, and my fiance only has had one MMR vaccination. According to the USCIS website and 2009 vaccination technical instructions, it says: "Because completion of the vaccination series often requires several months, applicants are not required to have received all doses of the ACIP-recommended vaccines to fulfill the vaccination requirements for AOS. Rather they are required to have received at least one dose of each recommended vaccine."

However, in a previous paragraph is states that if the applicant had previously received doses but had not completed the series, then the next recommended dose should be administered.

Can someone provide clarification on this please? This information is dated 12/15/09, so it is current but appears to be misleading. Is MMR normally a one time vaccination? Is he safe with just the one dose and then have another one later once he is on my health insurance? THank you for your help. We really can't afford to get an RFE at this point. Here is the link to the info I found:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/civil_sur...nstructions.pdf

It means that, for instance with the HPV, shots are required at 1, 3 and 6 months. Say you had the 1st before the K1 interview, arrived and got married, you get the 2nd HPV but apply for AOS before the 6 month mark for the next shot. They're saying that they can sign off on the immunisations for you because they can't just slow you down while you wait for the time for the next one to come around.

However, in the MMR case, you need the 2nd shot. Make sense?

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Sorry I missed the next one. As MMR regulations state a 2nd shot then no he's not safe. He is required to have the next one. However if it was a 3 shot dose you would only need to get this second and then you would be able to get the 3rd at your own leisure.

Timeline
Sorry I missed the next one. As MMR regulations state a 2nd shot then no he's not safe. He is required to have the next one. However if it was a 3 shot dose you would only need to get this second and then you would be able to get the 3rd at your own leisure.

Thank you for your reply. So he has to go get the second dose and have all of the paperwork redone? I am still questioning the second dose thing as I can not find it anywhere on the USCIS or recommended vaccinations schedule. I guess we will just do it to avoid having a problem later.

event.png

Timeline
Thank you for your reply. So he has to go get the second dose and have all of the paperwork redone? I am still questioning the second dose thing as I can not find it anywhere on the USCIS or recommended vaccinations schedule. I guess we will just do it to avoid having a problem later.

Well... from this immunisation schedule: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm5753-Immunization.pdf (forget where I found it but it was a link somewhere), page 2 has a table where MMR is one or two doses. If other people have had 2 your

Personally i'm thinking i'm just gunna get myself "checked" so I don't end up with an RFE 'cause that would just be annoying. /sigh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I often wonder whether having the USCIS helpline on speed dial for these situations is required. Especially when they try to shove it down your throats that you "need" a full medical again.

12/31/2009 - Married

01/08/2010- Mailed in AOS

01/13/2010- AOS received and sent back due to missing signature

01/22/2010- AOS arrives back at my house, signed, sent off again

01/27/2010- Receipt number given, huzzahhh! NOA1

01/29/2010- Money taken out :'(

02/02/2010- Touch

02/06/2010- Biometrics Appointment, 16th Feb at 2:00pm .... Also happens to be my 21st Birthday!!

02/07/2010- Sent in Medical to Chicago office

02/09/2010- Got a RFE for medical.....Sent reply letter 2 days earlier due to forgetting to include vaccination data.

02/10/2010- Sent a 2nd copy of medical to MO office.

02/16/2010- 21st birthday, Biometrics done, and a letter saying my case is on "hold" from the 7th of Feb, in a email...

02/17/2010- Touch

02/23/2010- Letter to congressman

02/24/2010- RFE Received and processing resumed.

02/25/2010- Case transferred to CSC

03/24/2010- Work permit printed

03/28/2010- Work permit received (After writing to the congressman...Again...)

07/01/2010- Call to Senator about Green card, Call to USCIS, Nothing... Told to wait another 2 months and then possibly another 4 months.

07/01/2010- Touch on I-485/Green card...

07/02/2010- Second touch on I-485/Green card, No notifications....

07/07/2010- Told at info pass that my application is being sent to west palm from CSC

07/10/2010- Touch I-485

07/14/2010- Touch on I-485

Timeline
Well... from this immunisation schedule: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm5753-Immunization.pdf (forget where I found it but it was a link somewhere), page 2 has a table where MMR is one or two doses. If other people have had 2 your

Personally i'm thinking i'm just gunna get myself "checked" so I don't end up with an RFE 'cause that would just be annoying. /sigh

Yes, I agree. I called the CS who did our transcription and they verified that my husband will need the 2nd dose of MMR. Don't know if they weren't aware of the new regulations when they did our transcription or if they just assumed it had been completed bec that is what the doctor in Brasil said. The medical there was done before the changes took effect. At any rate, we are just going ahead with it to avoid the RFE.

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

MMR, Hep A & B, and Varnicella required 2 doses...1 month apart....TD is 10 yr interval

It will cost us $600 total just for the vaccination. We had it done at the Dallas county health dept.

Linh & Ngan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.