KittyPollitt

Marrying in Morocco

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Kenza: Your dad is also Moroccan which I'm sure helped tremendously!

Berber Mama - we tried when he was about 14 months - but because our marriage wasn't registered in the 3 month window afterwards that caused a problem (that still hasn't been resolved). We tried to fix it in the US and in Morocco (twice now) with no resolution. We plan to try one more time when we go to Morocco. Dealing with the embassies here is pointless and the rules are always changing.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
It took two months to get approval for us to marry. It depends on how big the city is, the larger the city the quicker it is to get approval.

I remember how long it took to get all of our paperwork and all the different places that we had to go to and the people that we had to pay off, it was hell on earth.

It might be a problem with your child born out of wedlock also. I remember being interviewed by a judge and he was very concerned about our relationship and whether or not I was co-habitating with my then fiance and lots of other personal questions. Of course we lied and said that I wasn't.

If I had known then what I know now, I would have filed for the K-1 fiance visa.

Squeaky, I would continue on the K1 path for now, unless your fiance's petition was denied? not sure :unsure: With your issues of not have a clean police record, an out of wedlock baby, and evidence of cohabitating while unmarried <hence child>, you might just want to hang with the K1. You might have a judge give you so much negative response that the hurdles you have to jump through are much more than you anticipated.

Edited by Staashi

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Squeaky, I would continue on the K1 path for now, unless your fiance's petition was denied? not sure :unsure: With your issues of not have a clean police record, an out of wedlock baby, and evidence of cohabitating while unmarried <hence child>, you might just want to hang with the K1. You might have a judge give you so much negative response that the hurdles you have to jump through are much more than you anticipated.

:yes: it's sounding that way.. It's ok, I can just send the petition before I go and just stay there with him and wait.. I can't stand a lot of hassle, that's why I wanted to clarify all this before breaking it to my mom and destroying her dream wedding plans.. :lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
:yes: it's sounding that way.. It's ok, I can just send the petition before I go and just stay there with him and wait.. I can't stand a lot of hassle, that's why I wanted to clarify all this before breaking it to my mom and destroying her dream wedding plans.. :lol:

:thumbs: good plan!

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Timeline

Yes, K1 is not so bad !

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Some Moroccan judges are offended by mixed marriages and if you get one he can hold up your marriage. Even though I had clearance to marry from the US consulate, our judge still didn't believe that my first husband was dead, accused me for trying to commit bigamy, and actually ran us out of his office. It took four extra days and hiring an attorney to get permission to wed. A judge who doesn't like out of wedlock mothers and the men they shack up and fornicate with can make your effort to marry a living hell. Go with the K1.

PS - It took us a total of 10 days to marry with contacts, not much bribery, tho.

Edited by Sofiyya

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
A judge who doesn't like out of wedlock mothers and the men they shack up and fornicate with can make your effort to marry a living hell. Go with the K1.

I agree ! Because their religion demands it, they will be very hard on you and this is something that will never be okay there ! I loved my marriage celebration in Morocco and having all the family around and experiencing their customs ~ really beautiful and my husband's family went to alot of trouble and preparations for us (F) The paperwork was a nightmare and took a month (that was even with some connections in the courts) I would never marry again there tho :blink: You could do a K-1 and later in Morocco have the big celebration, wear the beautiful dresses and all !!

Good Luck ~ Your baby is beautiful :luv:

6042646_bodyshot_300x400.gif

weight.png

Timeline

Hey there! I just got married in Morocco in June so I will be happy to share with you my experience. I will need to go back and look through some things to find some of the links for things I had to do before I went to Morocco (like the FBI background check). I will come back and post here later this evening with more specifics. Until then, a couple of general things that I'd share right away is that yes, it does take time, but if you expect it then it's not so bad. It's not like you are at offices 24/7 but you do need to have a lot of patience and you will be traveling back and forth. Since you will have the "mixed marriage" (a term I always thought was funny) it does take a bit longer. I arrived in Morocco the first week of June and we were married on the 27th but it took another couple of weeks to get all of the paperwork then to Rabat, translated to English so I'd have an official copy, and really completed. All in all I believe the whole process was about 5 1/2 weeks but the last part we were married and just getting things to the capital. I cannot tell you how much of a delay you two having your daughter before you married will cause but I do know there are laws in place, designed to protect women and allow marriage in this case so you might consider looking them up. I would also reiterate that it does really vary depending upon the village and who you know. Your fiance will need to be persistent but also be prepared for a lot of wait time. You will also need to be flexible. It's not going to be the type of situation where you can plan ahead too much the date/time of the signing of the marriage contract but if you give yourself enough time and flexibility it can be done. My poor husband was so bummed out to realize that once we got married the paperwork really had just begun due to the visa! Oh and one of his brothers was with us the whole time which proved to be very useful if he needed to go take care of something and like we had our luggage and he didn't want to leave me alone nor lug around our stuff and also it was nice just to have an extra person there to keep us laughing through the process.

I did call the consulate while I was there to ask about a DCF. You need to be in Morocco for at least 6 months, so you would need residency, and when I asked about how long it takes they said (estimating of course) that it is about a year to the visa. So it's really up to you. If you want to be there so he can see his daughter grow from the beginning and time is not an issue then it is something to consider. If you want to get back to the US as soon as possible then maybe the K1 is it. Just something to think about and as I said, I will give you better details as to what I brought with me. As someone else said, there were some unexpected things but luckily I went with more than what we thought we needed and my husband did a very good job asking questions and researching before I came so I would have what we needed. (Oh my goodness the number of times we went through the list!! LOL!)

6/27/2009 Married

10/20/2009 I-130 sent

10/28/2009 NOA1

2/8/2010 NOA2

2/12/2010 NVC received and case number assigned

2/19/2010 Gave NVC email addresses

2/19/2010 AOS/DS3032 generated (not related to giving the emails)

2/21/2010 Emailed DS3032

2/22/2010 Received DS3032 and AOS bill via email

2/23/2010 Paid AOS bill

2/25/2010 AOS bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

3/2/2010 Received IV bill

4/9/2010 Paid IV bill

4/12/2010 IV bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

4/13/2010 Mailed IV packet

4/15/2010 IV packet received and signed for

4/16/2010 AOS packet mailed

4/19/2010 AOS packet received and signed for

4/20/2010 AVR changed and states biographic documents received on 4/17/2010

4/24/2010 AVR notes AOS entered into system on 4/23/2010

4/28/2010 Sign-in fail and NVC operator confirms case complete

5/01/2010 Interview assigned!

6/16/2010 Medical Exam

6/29/2010 Interview Approved!

7/7/2010 Visa in hand!

7/22/2010 POE

ROC

5/15/2012 Mailed in I-751

5/16/2012 Received

6/5/2012 Check cashed

6/6/2012 NOA1 received

Timeline

I was just wondering, after reading all the posts here, if there would be any problem with her just staying in Morocco until he gets the K1 visa, and then the three of them traveling here together? I know there's the 90 day limit, but that can be extended.

Or am I missing something?

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

When I went there back in March-June we were thinking about getting a visa for me and our daughter to stay longer... All we would have had to do was go to the police station and fill out some paperwork and pay a small fee.. I think you should do the K-1.. And just go stay until he gets it, I cant think of any reason why you would have to stay in the US for anything :unsure:

POE at JFK:01-26-2010

Wedding:02-03-2010

Filed AOS: 11-22-2010

AOS Accepted: 12-08-2010

NOA1 for AOS & EAD: 12-11-2010

Received Biometrics Appt: 12-16-2010

Biometrics Appt: 01-05-2011

Transferred to CSC: 01-13-2011

EAD Approved: 02-11-2011

EAD Received: 02-22-2011

AOS Approved: 03-07-2011

AOS Received: 03-14-2011

Timeline
When I went there back in March-June we were thinking about getting a visa for me and our daughter to stay longer... All we would have had to do was go to the police station and fill out some paperwork and pay a small fee.. I think you should do the K-1.. And just go stay until he gets it, I cant think of any reason why you would have to stay in the US for anything :unsure:

Exactly, just have someone watch your mailbox for you, sounds like your mom would do that :)

Filed: Timeline
I agree ! Because their religion demands it, they will be very hard on you and this is something that will never be okay there ! I loved my marriage celebration in Morocco and having all the family around and experiencing their customs ~ really beautiful and my husband's family went to alot of trouble and preparations for us (F) The paperwork was a nightmare and took a month (that was even with some connections in the courts) I would never marry again there tho :blink: You could do a K-1 and later in Morocco have the big celebration, wear the beautiful dresses and all !!

Good Luck ~ Your baby is beautiful :luv:

In defense of unwed moms and to shed a little light on the hypocrisy of some of these guys..there are lots of unwed moms in Morocco. They just cannot register their kids and alot of them are the ones in orphanages. Religion doesnt stop the guys from getting women pregnant in Morocco. Its not like the US has the patent on fornicating.. Its just shoved under the blanket with back alley abortions and overflowing orphanages..

I think its ridiculous to give much creedence to any one looking down at fornicating etc....when their are plenty of brothels there by the dozens and child maids and a girl cant get married from the US just cause she has a kid..I dont care if they look down personally...there are plenty of messes there and the poor kids cannot even inherit money or get a passport half the time because of stupid cockamamy rules and twofacedness. There are over 35000 street children in Casablanca and people wanna talk morals.. whatever

As far as marrying, definitely go the k1 route. Its alot faster, you have a baby together and I am sure you will be fine through the interview. Dont wrack your brain ok? I got married in Tunisia and looking back the k1 would have worked alot better.,..even reaffirmed

I was just wondering, after reading all the posts here, if there would be any problem with her just staying in Morocco until he gets the K1 visa, and then the three of them traveling here together? I know there's the 90 day limit, but that can be extended.

Or am I missing something?

venusfire

I think alot has to do as to who is doing the affadavit of support. I guess if grandparents are bankrolling or there is a co sponsor/ If thats not the case, who is doing the affadavit while the wife is dcfing.. What job will wait that long in this economy...? I guess if mom and dad will co sign, then dcf is an option.. You still have to have an affadavit even if you are dcfing

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I think alot has to do as to who is doing the affadavit of support. I guess if grandparents are bankrolling or there is a co sponsor/ If thats not the case, who is doing the affadavit while the wife is dcfing.. What job will wait that long in this economy...? I guess if mom and dad will co sign, then dcf is an option.. You still have to have an affadavit even if you are dcfing

Grandparents aren't bankrolling.. I am a contractor.. I work for myself, worked through my pregnancy and saved money because I knew the issue would come up.. Mom is cosigning, but only because my income falls just beneath the guidelines.. I'm not a freeloader :whistle:

Grandparents aren't bankrolling.. I am a contractor.. I work for myself, worked through my pregnancy and saved money because I knew the issue would come up.. Mom is cosigning, but only because my income falls just beneath the guidelines.. I'm not a freeloader :whistle:

Thats awesome.. and you just had a baby.... its not a sin for your family to help you but it makes it super amazing that you pulled this off.. still.... I think a k1 would go alot faster, its an easier affadavit and you could wait out some of the time over there... Getting married can take alot longer and if you have a K1, they can move pretty quick and you can always do a courtesy visit while you are there and register as an American citizen and say hi.. and just start putting proofs together..

Best of luck and beautiful baby by the way

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.