Copperblade

Do Tourist Visa's Freak You Out?

15 posts in this topic

Despite the interview process for the K-1 being easy, my fiancee was a little freaked out going in because of her previous experiences with the tourist visa. From what I can tell, it's pretty different how they treat you. I guess I wouldn't recommend anyone trying for the tourist visa at all (in some countries) because it'll just make you more stressed out later.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Totally get where you are comin from... My husband has worked for a cruise ship for 14 years and came in under C1/D visa (crew member) and they are real a$$holes about that.. Especially in Miami... Every time he got put in the "cage" as they call it.. The glass box for extra processing!!! He is always terrified about US immigration... When he finally entered with the IR1 he was so nervous... Now he has traveled with his GC and he is SHOCKED at how different he is treated!!!

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Totally get where you are comin from... My husband has worked for a cruise ship for 14 years and came in under C1/D visa (crew member) and they are real a$$holes about that.. Especially in Miami... Every time he got put in the "cage" as they call it.. The glass box for extra processing!!! He is always terrified about US immigration... When he finally entered with the IR1 he was so nervous... Now he has traveled with his GC and he is SHOCKED at how different he is treated!!!

I agree, my fiance was also treated horribly when he applied for a tourist visa years ago and needless to say, I can tell he is nervous and anxious for his upcoming interview, based on his last experience. I think it is probably a world of difference.

Sent I-129F: 08-15-09

Received 1st NOA: 08-18-09

Received 2nd NOA: 10-15-09

Received at NVC: 10-19-2009

Sent to Consulate from NVC: 10-23-2009

Consulate Received Petition: 10-28-2009

Packet 3 left Consulate, sent to beneficiary:10-30-2009

Packet 3 recieved: 11-13-09

Sent Packet 3 to consulate: 11-30-09

Consulate received packet 3: 12-01-09

Consulate sent packet 4: 12-03-09

Called consulate and received interview date, interview date: Jan. 4, 2010

Interview and medical, Jan. 4th, 2010

Back to Consulate on Jan. 5, 2010 granted VISA!!!

Fiance's flight to NYC (POE at JFK): April 29, 2010

Fiance arrived at JFK: April, 20, 2010

Wedding: July 18, 2010

Honeymoon: July 22- Aug. 6th, 2010

Sent in AOS application: Aug. 9, 2010

Chicago Lockbox received application: Aug. 10, 2010

First NOA for AOS and EAD received: Aug. 20, 2010

AOS Transferred to CSC: Sept. 9. 2010

Biometrics appointment: Sept. 20, 2010

Approval of EAD: Sept. 30, 2010

Received EAD card: Oct. 4, 2010

AOS status updated, card in production: October 6, 2010

Received Green Card: October 10, 2010

I agree, my fiance was also treated horribly when he applied for a tourist visa years ago and needless to say, I can tell he is nervous and anxious for his upcoming interview, based on his last experience. I think it is probably a world of difference.

Yeah, the visitor visa is like being a beggar, and they can just turn you away for any reason and without any explanation. But at least with the K-1 there's a paper trail, and the possibility that the petitioner will complain to their congressperson if they're treated poorly. I think they may have to give a reason as a matter of procedure, at least.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Despite the interview process for the K-1 being easy, my fiancee was a little freaked out going in because of her previous experiences with the tourist visa. From what I can tell, it's pretty different how they treat you. I guess I wouldn't recommend anyone trying for the tourist visa at all (in some countries) because it'll just make you more stressed out later.

My wife applied for a tourist visa 2 years before I met her for a sponsored business trip. She says she was "treated like a reptile" at the US consulate and unceremoniously denied. She was scared to death to go to the fiancee interview. I went with her to the K-1 interview and we were treated very well indeed, it was very easy.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

If you have no strong ties to your home country and are dirt poor the US embassy will treat you like you'll want to come over and stay for good illegally... Good reason!

My first ever US visa was a B1/B2 valid for 1 year... I don't think I was treated badly at all as they treat everyone the same (with suspicion - if you have nothing to hide, sure you're not gonna stay here illegally then you'll have no problem!) So I used that a few times, when it ran out I applied for another and got granted a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa... It's all about trust, and if you get denied they usually have good reason... That's why I recommend before getting married on a K1 to try and visit on a tourist visa first, you should think twice about marrying someone the US embassy would not even allow into the country as a visitor!

If you have no strong ties to your home country and are dirt poor the US embassy will treat you like you'll want to come over and stay for good illegally... Good reason!

My first ever US visa was a B1/B2 valid for 1 year... I don't think I was treated badly at all as they treat everyone the same (with suspicion - if you have nothing to hide, sure you're not gonna stay here illegally then you'll have no problem!) So I used that a few times, when it ran out I applied for another and got granted a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa... It's all about trust, and if you get denied they usually have good reason... That's why I recommend before getting married on a K1 to try and visit on a tourist visa first, you should think twice about marrying someone the US embassy would not even allow into the country as a visitor!

Half of the illegal immigrants in the US, did not enter illegally. They used a tourist or other visa and then never went home. So there is a lot more scrutiny of temporary visas than there are for immigration based visas.

keTiiDCjGVo

Half of the illegal immigrants in the US, did not enter illegally. They used a tourist or other visa and then never went home. So there is a lot more scrutiny of temporary visas than there are for immigration based visas.

After getting rejected the first time for a tourist visa, she felt insulted by them. But after talking to some friends, and thinking about the culture over there in regards to following the law, she understood why they were like that. I mean, she even had one friend who tried to give their visa to their aunt for a visit.

Nevertheless, it still made her really nervous about the K-1 interview. Which was fine. She said afterwords she couldn't believe she got the visa.

It's about trust, but it's also about the reputation the people of a certain country make for themselves. In my fiancee's case, she has considerable assets in Indonesia, and would not have remained here illegally. They definitely didn't have any positive reason to deny her. They just didn't have a reason to trust her. I'm sure it mostly has to do with what they've encountered in the past. The US isn't really able to track people here, but I bet they still know how many people got visas and didn't go back.

So we gave up on her coming here after the second try. I just kept visiting her instead.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I understand what you all are saying here but.....fiance went for tourist visa at a consolate in a Nigeria recently. I Have known this lady for 3 years and spoken each and every day for that 3 yrs.....went to visit her in 2008....she has nothing to hide. She was not treated well at interview....interviewer did not even allow her to present evidence of her ties to her country or other information before handing denial note. However today a person flew out of Lagos and attempted to down a commercial flight to the US. ===Hmmmm?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

We are worried too as her interview is in 12 days. She was denined for a B2 Visa twice this year. Once in January and once when I was with her at the US Embassy in July to get her a B2 Visa so she could visit me. What we heard is that the K-1 Visa is so much easier to get in Poland then the B2 Visa. I'm counting down the days and keep worry about it, but we are both pretty sure we will get the K-1 Visa and third time the charm they say anyways :) The two times that she tried this year they told her no and not even looked at anything she had and made the answer in few seconds seeing her. It sucks but now in 12 days we believe she is going to be a proud Visa holder and finally able to come here and stay for good.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Scuse me, but mine is fron Italy, not exactly 3rd world and was a Staff Chief Engineer in charge of a 4,000 person cruise ship and the still treated him like ####### upon entering at Miami... So I believe it is more then just a screening process, it also has a lot to do with a power trip from certain officials... 14 years coming and going from the US, a VWP country (which by the way non VWP countrys have such a difficult road compared to European/Canadian countries) and they still give #######??? I would not exactly base my judgement or worthiness of a fiance upon the whims and attitudes of USCIS or Consulate opinions of whether they grant a visitor visa.

Can you say ELITIST????

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
if you get denied they usually have good reason
Are you an expert on consular procedures? If so, please state your specific credentials.
That's why I recommend before getting married on a K1 to try and visit on a tourist visa first
As an earlier poster said more diplomatically, there ain't a snowball's chance in most countries of procuring a tourist visa to the U.S., so please quit suggesting it as even a remotely viable option.
you should think twice about marrying someone the US embassy would not even allow into the country as a visitor!
This grandiose pronouncement is naive, elitist, snooty, 100% offensive, and completely inappropriate to state here. (If you wish to convince others otherwise, good luck in having the slightest success.) Perhaps I am not alone in the thought that certain overly prolific posters should avoid "diarrhea of the keyboard" that speaks volumes about themselves... all negative.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
This grandiose pronouncement is naive, elitist, snooty, 100% offensive, and completely inappropriate to state here. (If you wish to convince others otherwise, good luck in having the slightest success.) Perhaps I am not alone in the thought that certain overly prolific posters should avoid "diarrhea of the keyboard" that speaks volumes about themselves... all negative.

Agreed.

That's why I recommend before getting married on a K1 to try and visit on a tourist visa first, you should think twice about marrying someone the US embassy would not even allow into the country as a visitor!

What my country says does not affect me. I make my country, not the other way around. Since you made a suggestion to me: i would suggest that you do the same.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.