FREQUENT FLYER

SUPPORT REQUIRED(SPONSOR)? OR WILL WE BE OK?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi Guys,

We are both here in Oz and were just approved for Visa.

We are now waiting on the packet from Sydney.

I am asking for your thoughts on the following:

My fiance is on a study visa for Australia. She has not filed a US tax return for the last 5 years as she has had zero income.

She does however have over $150,000 USD in assets through shares and managed funds that have been set up in the last 12 months.

I have assets in excess of $200,000USD.

Do we need a financial supporter or do you think that the assets will suffice as enough?

Should we consider having her parents sign as support?

Thanks,

FF.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I could be wrong but from all I read you should be fine.Good Luck!

Nat

Met on May 17,2005

Got engaged on Sep 15th,2006

Came to the US for good on Jan 27th,2009

and we got married on March 28th,2009

GOD , grant me the serenity

to accept the things I can not change

the courage to change the things I can

and the wisdom to know the difference!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Depends on the Consulate, logically you should be OK but I have sen some have issues with just using assets.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You should theoretically be fine. Australia is generally hassle-free.

In reality, it is up to the Consular Officer. At the Frankfurt Consulate, the Consular Officer relies heavily on taxes. He said that to my husband and I during our interview.

I have actually never filed taxes because I have been a student who has had little to no income. And I'm still a student and will be for the next four or five years. However, during this time, I will have an income in the form of a stipend.

For our Affidavit, which is a different form than the one you'll be submitting, we had substantially less than you did in assets. However, what we did have that you may not is my husband's employment continuing upon his arrival in the U.S. That really made our situation all the more sufficient. Moreover, I too had a job in the form of a stipend as a graduate student. Therefore, both my husband and I would both be employed.

I would suggest getting co-sponsor. You should have that prepared just in case you need it. If you don't, no harm done!

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

April 15, 2006 - I-130 sent to Frankfurt Consulate

April 22, 2006 - I-130 returned to us (personal checks not acceptable)

April 24, 2006 - I-130 resubmitted with Credit Card Payment Form

June 14, 2006 - I-130 Approved

June 15, 2006 - Packet 3 Received

June 16, 2006 - OF-169 & Passport (Biographical Page Only) faxed to the Consulate

June 17, 2006 - DS 230 Part 1 & OF-169 mailed to the Consulate

June 26, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

June 27, 2006 - Medical Examination in Berlin

July 21, 2006 - Interview at Frankfurt Consulate

July 21, 2006 - Visa Approved!

August 22, 2006 - America!

July 26, 2008 - I-751 sent to VSC

August 1, 2008 - Check cashed

August 1, 2008 - NOA-1 received

September 9, 2008 - Biometics Appointment

March 12, 2009 - Transfer from VSC to CSC?

March 16, 2009 - Approved (10-year green card should be mailed within 60 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.