8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well unfortunately things aren't working out the way we planned or hoped. After trying to reconcile some things, we are thinking that separation is the next step. With the lack of jointly owned things or assets, what is the course to take? For example, I own both vehicles (titled solely to me) which have no payments. The apartment is in a "live here and be good" lease-less agreement. We don't have any joint bank accounts or any "shared" debt of any kind. As far as I know and can recognize, there is very little if any shared assets between us.

USA_a.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

what exactly is ur question???

AOS Timeline

08/13/08 AOS sent
08/18/08 NOA1
08/22/08 Appointment Biomentrics
09/10/08 Biometrics done
09/11/08 RFE
09/18/08 Case transfered to NBC
10/16/08 EAD approved
10/24/08 EAD approved again
10/27/08 EAD in Mail
10/28/08 applied for SSN (not verified)still waiting:-(
12/18/08 got my SSN today YEAHHHHH
12/30/08 passed my TX DL today YIPPIEEEEEEE
03/03/09 Interview ,approved...thanks god:-)
03/09/09 Welcome letter in Mail.Juhuuuuuuuu
03/16/09 Green Card in Mail:-)))))

02/02/10 I-751 Waiver to VSC
02/08/10 NOA1
02/17/10 Check cashed
04/15/10 Biometrics
07/26/10 Interview
08/06/10 Approved ,thanks god juhuuuuuuuuuuuu
08/16/10 Greencard in Mail,done for ten years:-))

N-400 here we go in the last round

12/09/2013 N-400 to Dallas

12/13/2013 NOA1

12/18/2013 check cashed

01/03/2014 Biometrics

02/04/2014 in line for Interview

04/11/2014 Interview& Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Sorry to hear things are not working out. Sounds like a pretty straight forward legal case, you may not even need a lawyer for the separation and possible divorce; there are (cheaper) mediation services that can help, but that is way beyond the scope of this website. Did you post here because you have questions about your immigration status?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Well unfortunately things aren't working out the way we planned or hoped. After trying to reconcile some things, we are thinking that separation is the next step. With the lack of jointly owned things or assets, what is the course to take? For example, I own both vehicles (titled solely to me) which have no payments. The apartment is in a "live here and be good" lease-less agreement. We don't have any joint bank accounts or any "shared" debt of any kind. As far as I know and can recognize, there is very little if any shared assets between us.

What I see there are 2 kinds of problems: immigration and separation. Deal with them one at a time, separation first, immigration later.

The divorce would be quick and mostly depend on your state laws as there is nothing shared. Keeping that in mind remember you don't have any shared documents when dealing with the next problem: removal of conditions with a waiver. The worst case scenario your file maybe pulled out for an RFE and/or an interview because of weak documentary evidence.

And I agree to penguin.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just because the vehicles are titled in your name, does not mean they are solely your property. Any divorce court will look at joint as well as individual assets as community property, unless you can prove you owned them prior to the marriage or obtained them through funds your spouse has no claim upon. Same with debts. If you brought one of the vehicles into the marriage and the second was purchased after getting married, the latter is "community property" since it was bought with marital funds (money earned by either you or your spouse during the time you are married is considered to belong to both of you).

Even with things like inheritance, once it is co-mingled, it is a joint asset. For example, if my parents passed away and left me $50,000 and I opened a separate bank account and put the 50k in it, I could legally claim it as a non-marital asset that belonged solely to me. But if I placed it in a joint account with my wife (that say had $5,000 in it previously), then I have co-mingled the assets and my spouse would have a claim on half the account since I cannot prove which portion remaining at the time of divorce is part of "my" inheritance.

Hopefully your spouse sees the vehicles as your property and won't attempt to make a claim on them.

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Look for information regarding your state here in order to see what may be considered

joint or individual property. It varies from state to state.

Best of luck.

Divorcesource.com

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

If you intend on divorcing, consult your state laws and follow them.

After the divorce, your spouse can attempt to remove conditions on their own (provided the marriage was entered in good faith), if they wish to remain an LPR (I take it they have the 2yr card). No need to wait.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Had the same thing. If you can prove it was yours prior to marriage, no problems. If purchased during marriage, your spouse can argue they are part theirs and should be split accordingly.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.