Leo&Farah

SSN name change after marriage

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I am beyond confused as to the law here. Some people have successfully changed their name on their social security card after marriage and before GC/EAD. When I spoke to the lady at the office in Hickory, she said I need an EAD to change my name after marriage on the card.

I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with the main social security helpline only to be told the same thing after she asked a supervisor.

I am trying to change my name on the social security card so I qualify for a north carolina state ID from the DMV. I spoke to a DMV agent today and she said I could get one but needed to have my name match on the social security card (married name). I spent a long time explaning that the name on my social security card and wedding certificate match and are both in my maiden name and I wanted to use the marriage certificate to get an ID in my married name. It ended with her stating the social security must be in my married name and should match my marriage certificate. Here's where I'm confused, I cant change the marriage certificate as it was registered in my maiden name and the cert is infact exactly the same as the license. Its ridiculous to apply for a marriage license in your married name when youre not married yet so how, is it possible logically, to have my married name on the social security card (once changed) to match my marriage certificate??? (Which the DMV agent wanted)

Sorry if I am incoherent, been such a confusing morning.

The basic reason for this wild goose chase is we are trying to get both our names on the title of a car we just bought for future purposes and to show as one of the joint things during the AOS interview. DMV needs State ID or Drivers License for both owners. DMV needs Social Security Card to match married name for State ID card. Social Security needs GC to change name on social security card. If we dont manage to register it under my name as well now, a future change of title ownership will cost us 40 bucks and we need new license plates then as well for 28 bucks. So a whole 68 bucks wasted because of all this mumbo jumbo.

I guess long story short, does anyone have any success stories of changing their name on the social security card to their married name BEFORE GC/EAD? If so, what do I do now?

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I know that when I married in NC (a number of years ago) my wife indicated her new last name when we applied for the marriage license. And when I married my current wife here in MA the process was the same.

To the best of my knowledge if you did not take your husband's name when you married then you will have to do a name change with the court.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

I guess long story short, does anyone have any success stories of changing their name on the social security card to their married name BEFORE GC/EAD? If so, what do I do now?

We ran into the same thing. All I can tell you is that social security looks to see if USCIS has updated the 'SAVE' database with the new last name. Only problem is that it may take getting the EAD, AP, or GC to get the system updated. Not sure if a biometrics appt would record that or not.

Once that is done, social security can proceed.

K-1 - I-129F

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, England

• 18 May 2009: Interview - **APPROVED** (213 Days)

AOS - I-485

Field Office: Memphis, TN

• 15 Dec 2009: **APPROVED!!** 131 Days!

EAD - I-765

• 02 Dec 2009: **APPROVED!!** 141 Days (recommend do NOT e-file)

ROC - I-781

• 07 Nov 2011: Package mailed to VSC (USPS Express mail)
  • 08 Nov 2011: Package received at VSC
  • 09 Nov 2011 - NOA1
  • 13 Jan 2012 - Biometrics appointment
  • 24 Aug 2012 - RFE (bummed!!!)
  • 13 Sep 2012 - **APPROVED!!**
  • 24 Sep 2012 - Card received

Timeline

When we got the license, it was done in my maiden name as we were not yet married.

I repeatedly mentioned during the license process, to the magistrate and when they converted the license to a marriage certificate that I wanted to take my husband's name. It didnt seem to make a difference because the marriage certificate they handed to us is an exact replica of the marriage license, only photocopied onto a green paper, signed by the register of deeds and embossed.

There is no space or way to indicate what my desired married name would be on this license turned certificate. There is no field there to put it down either. Maybe it is a state based thing and marriage licenses/certificates arent standardized but there was no option to put down my married name on either the license or certificate despite my repeated insistence for them to keep that in mind.

I had just assumed then that the certificate would infer a name change based on marriage and it is legally and logical to let the wife take on the husbands last name based on this document since no room was given for stating a legal name change outright.

Now I am more confused. :crying:

N-400 Stuff:

I repeatedly mentioned during the license process, to the magistrate and when they converted the license to a marriage certificate that I wanted to take my husband's name. It didnt seem to make a difference because the marriage certificate they handed to us is an exact replica of the marriage license, only photocopied onto a green paper, signed by the register of deeds and embossed.

Our Florida marriage license is noted the same way with no provision to indicate the name change. When submitting applications afterwards, we filled them out under the new name along with a certified copy of the marriage certificate (make sure to order extras CERTIFIED copies!!).

This is usually enough to get some agencies to change the name accordingly, including USCIS. Its just that social security and the DMV check and wait to see if USCIS changes thier system first before allowing an applicant to do it. It's their checks and balances which seem to defer to the immigration agencies to make sure their system is updated first before others can follow.

K-1 - I-129F

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, England

• 18 May 2009: Interview - **APPROVED** (213 Days)

AOS - I-485

Field Office: Memphis, TN

• 15 Dec 2009: **APPROVED!!** 131 Days!

EAD - I-765

• 02 Dec 2009: **APPROVED!!** 141 Days (recommend do NOT e-file)

ROC - I-781

• 07 Nov 2011: Package mailed to VSC (USPS Express mail)
  • 08 Nov 2011: Package received at VSC
  • 09 Nov 2011 - NOA1
  • 13 Jan 2012 - Biometrics appointment
  • 24 Aug 2012 - RFE (bummed!!!)
  • 13 Sep 2012 - **APPROVED!!**
  • 24 Sep 2012 - Card received

Hey Leo & Farrah,

Totally sympathise I had the same problem at SSA of them demanding a GC or EAD. Even though i knew from on here that others had, had no problem. A helpful poster - posted the following link, which I believe suggests they can change your info in the SSA system but just not issue you a new card. If they changed your name in the SSA system that might be enough for the DMV. Unfortunately I don't live close enough to go back and argue with them and am just going to wait but maybe this might be worth a shot:

She said no we can not change any information on your record by law until we see your green card.

Bullsh*t

RM 00203.510 D4 Correcting Numident Data When a Replacement Card Cannot Be Issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that no replacement card can be issued.

Although a replacement card cannot be issued, the Numident can be corrected if the alien has provided documentation supporting the change, e.g., a name change.

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the SS-5 to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

RM 00203.510 Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510#D4

Good Luck! Oh and over the marriage cert - that's standard in a lot of states for your cert to not have space for the new name. My NV cert is the same but from what I read as it shows your husband's name it's still evidence enough to allow you to change it. Especially if you used it on your immigration paperwork. Though some places may ask for a govt photo id with your new name causing you to have to wait for the EAD.

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
When we got the license, it was done in my maiden name as we were not yet married.

There is no space or way to indicate what my desired married name would be on this license turned certificate. There is no field there to put it down either. Maybe it is a state based thing and marriage licenses/certificates arent standardized but there was no option to put down my married name on either the license or certificate despite my repeated insistence for them to keep that in mind.

I had just assumed then that the certificate would infer a name change based on marriage and it is legally and logical to let the wife take on the husbands last name based on this document since no room was given for stating a legal name change outright.

Now I am more confused. :crying:

Not arguing, but the NC marriage license worksheet that I found online (seems to be the same for all counties) has a space in the bride section for listing the Bride's Name (line 11a) along with the Maiden Name (11b). My guess is that your Maiden name was listed as the Bride's name.

Below are links for anyone preparing a marriage license application in NC

http://www.catawbacountync.gov/depts/regde...GE%20APPweb.pdf

http://www.co.orange.nc.us/deeds/license.pdf

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

The license is similar to what you posted in the link only has labels on the side: male applicant and female applicant. As for the female applicant, the register of deeds herself filled in my maiden name on 11a saying it should match the name on my social security card. She had to check with a supervisor on this as my full name as in the passport was shortened by SSA, where they left my middle name out. Once confirmed, she filled up my maiden name as per SS card on that field herself and asked us to fill up the rest.

So I had no option nor was it mentioned to me that 11a is for your intended married name. I don't think that is the case though.

I called up the register of deeds we went to after my last post to confirm that there is no field there for your married name. She said the certifed certifcate she provided us is enough for a name change with SSA and DMV despite the lack of a married name being stated in black and white on the document.

N-400 Stuff:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

Leo and Farah

It is really confusing and i am afraid i might face similar situation. We got married today and should receive the certificate via mail soon. I have put my maiden name in all the forms since there were no options to change it or hyphenate (thats what i am planning to do), so i am sure that the certificate will have my maiden name as well.

I am planning to apply for SSN tomorrow or Monday with my maiden name and change it as soon as i get the marriage certificate. However, I will put my new name on all AOS forms.

I surfed the internet: some sources suggest to change yr SSN first and then DL, some the other way round (referred to the point that SSN will need one ID with photo and old surname, and the other - with the new surname). But i did read somewhere that marriage certificate is enough evidence to change yr name.

Looks like they require yr SSN card to get yr DL, and in case of changing name on SS ID - they need yr DL. Well, unless i am reading smthng wrong :(

If i remember correctly, somebody has already posted the link, but i guess you should print it out and go back to SSN office - ask to see their supervisor if needed (pay attention to section 6. - Aliens adults)

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#e

this one also should help https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

I also seen 'legal name change kit' for $15 or so, so maybe its one of the options? Well, at least its cheaper than $68 :)

Hope this helps.

GL

cheers

X

I-129F Sent : 2009-06-19

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-22

I-129F RFE(s) : none

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-06

NVC Received : 2009-10-09

NVC Left : 2009-10-14

Consulate Received : 2009-10-20

Interview Date : 2009-10-27

Visa received: 2009-10-28

US entry: 2009-11-15

Wedding: 2009-12-17

NOA Date : 2010-02-17

Bio. Appt. : 2010-03-09

Interview Date : 2010-05-04

Timeline

First of all, 'Congratulations!' =)

I know it makes people tingly all over hearing it after getting married. Well, I did anyway.

Thank you for the help so far peeps. Had a long day so I'm just gonna let it rest and cough up the 68 bucks later as well as straighten out married vs maiden name later, or see how I feel tomorrow about trying to battle it out with SSA. Probably the former. This catch-22 is tiring.

N-400 Stuff:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

You'll have the EAD well before the GC interview, perhaps 3-4 months before. The EAD is sufficient for changing your SSN and also validating your legal presence insofar as the DMV is concerned. Most states now require at least the EAD to get a drivers' license. Many including Virginia don't require a SSN to begin with. So, you'll be OK because the EAD must by law be issued within 90 days of applying.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Your marriage certificate acts as a name change document, so all you need to do is bring your marriage certificate to the SS office and at that point you will be able to legally change your name (and it costs nothing). You do NOT need to change your name at the time you filed your marriage license, nor do you have to go through the courts, order a name change kit, or anything like that - just go to Social Security with the certificate.

Wish I could help with some of your other questions - good luck!

Edited by Thai Rath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

If you already have a license then all you should need to change your name is your marriage certificate. I would maybe try another DMV or someone else at the DMV. Social security is not very well informed about immigration unless you are in a high immigrant area so I wouldn't bother trying there again.

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline
I know that when I married in NC (a number of years ago) my wife indicated her new last name when we applied for the marriage license. And when I married my current wife here in MA the process was the same.

To the best of my knowledge if you did not take your husband's name when you married then you will have to do a name change with the court.

Not true. In NC the marriage license is in maiden name and you do not indicate what name you will be using after marriage. If desired, the name is changed in SSA (and then in DMV) based on marriage certificate.

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline
Your marriage certificate acts as a name change document, so all you need to do is bring your marriage certificate to the SS office and at that point you will be able to legally change your name (and it costs nothing). You do NOT need to change your name at the time you filed your marriage license, nor do you have to go through the courts, order a name change kit, or anything like that - just go to Social Security with the certificate.

Wish I could help with some of your other questions - good luck!

:thumbs:

That exactly what you have to do, my wife did it earlier this week in Raleigh, NC and did not encounter any problems at SSA office after requesting name change on the SS card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.