nampik

registered marriage in thailand - can i get k-1 for USA?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

i'm american. me and my thai girl registered married(?) with the thai goverment, which i understand counts as a legal marriage in the states.

but we'd like to get married in the church here in the states, and register the marriage here in the states.

can i get a k-1 visa?

we don't want to live here anytime soon. she takes care of her mother and teen daughter- couldn't leave them behind. so we won't be needing k-3 and all that for a long time. but i do want her to meet the family here, and have my family enjoy the wedding.

did we screw up getting a k-1 by registering with thai goverment?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
i'm american. me and my thai girl registered married(?) with the thai goverment, which i understand counts as a legal marriage in the states.

but we'd like to get married in the church here in the states, and register the marriage here in the states.

can i get a k-1 visa?

we don't want to live here anytime soon. she takes care of her mother and teen daughter- couldn't leave them behind. so we won't be needing k-3 and all that for a long time. but i do want her to meet the family here, and have my family enjoy the wedding.

yea if you regersterd your marrage in Thailand you can not do a K1 you have to go K3 or I think it is a CR1. some of the others on here can tell you the best way to go

Oct. 2008 met Sa on Thaikisses and started chatting

Nov. Started daily phone calls

Dec. 2008 started dating (Boyfriend/ Girlfriend)

May 5, 2009 May 11, 2009 Trip to Thailand

July 2009 Engaged

Aug 2009 started I-129F

Sept 22, 2009 mailed I-129F

Sept 24, 2009 check cashed

Sept 24, 2009 NOA 1 Dated

Sept 27, 2009 NOA 1 received (Hardcopy)

Dec. 18, 2009 NOA 2 Dated(no email)

Dec. 24, 2009 NOA 2 Hardcopy

Dec. 28, 2009 NVC received but not sent to Embassy

Dec. 28, 2009 Sa maied Packet 3 to Embassy

Dec. 29, 2009 NVC forward to Bangkok, Embassy. Tracking by DHL

Jan. 03, 2010 Received by Bangkok Embassy

Jan. 06, 2010 Received email from embassy interview is set for Jan22.

Jan. 22, 2010 Interview at BKK Embassy passed

Jan. 27, 2010 Picked up Visa

Its not about how you pick your nose its what you do with the booger!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You are legally married, so you cannot get a K1 (fiancee) visa. However, that doesn't stop you from having a church wedding in the USA.

The problem will be how to get her into the USA for the wedding; as she has a mother and daughter to take care of in Thailand, she might be able to get a tourist visa for the USA, especially with you having ties to Thailand too and not intending to move back to the USA anytime soon. The K3/ CR-1 would be another option, but it is meant for immigrants, and would take a lot of money and time for a little holiday.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

can i get a k-1 visa?

The K-1 is not possible. The best option would be a tourist visa if you intend to reside in Thailand. If you both have strong ties to Thailand (job, residence, etc) and can prove she is not intending to immigrate to the USA, then you would be best to get a visitor visa to the USA. However if your ties are closer to the USA (domicile in USA, employed in USA, etc), then it will be more difficult to convince the consulate that she would not stay in the USA.

Do you work in Thailand?

Does your wife work in Thailand?

Where is your primary residence (USA or Thailand)?

Do you or your wife own property (house, land, condo, etc) in Thailand?

What other ties, besides her family, exist to keep her in Thailand?

The answers to these will help determine your best course of action.

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

You may no longer qualify for a K-1 but I don't think you screwed up - A K-1 would have been a huge waste of time, effort and money if you/she had no intentions of living here in the US; certainly a long way to go for what sounds like, would simply be a visit.

Perhaps a tourist visa is all that is needed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

If she can present convincing evidence that she MUST return to Thailand, it might possible to get a tourist visa and then have that church wedding in the US. Depending on the church, the wedding ceremony might be a bit different (blessing of a marriage?) than the usual. Since you are already married, there is no provision to enable registering the marriage in the U.S. and it's not necessary.

If she can present convincing evidence that she MUST return to Thailand, it might possible to get a tourist visa and then have that church wedding in the US. Depending on the church, the wedding ceremony might be a bit different (blessing of a marriage?) than the usual. Since you are already married, there is no provision to enable registering the marriage in the U.S. and it's not necessary.

MUST return to Thailand is the key.

They might look at the tourist visa application and say "why couldn't they get married in the US after the visa was approved,

as long as they have to wait anyway for the visa for her immigration as a spouse?"

If there was a compelling reason to return to Thailand, why is she marrying with intent to stay in the US?

It's kind of anticlimactic to have a wedding ceremony after which the bride has to disappear back to where she came from.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

can i get a k-1 visa?

If you got married in Thailand you can't go for a K1 - that's a fiancee VISA and she your wife now.

Good Luck

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You're no longer eligible for a K-1. From your post a B2 tourist visa sounds like your best bet.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

can i get a k-1 visa?

The K-1 is not possible. The best option would be a tourist visa if you intend to reside in Thailand. If you both have strong ties to Thailand (job, residence, etc) and can prove she is not intending to immigrate to the USA, then you would be best to get a visitor visa to the USA. However if your ties are closer to the USA (domicile in USA, employed in USA, etc), then it will be more difficult to convince the consulate that she would not stay in the USA.

Do you work in Thailand?

John is correct but you still wont get a tourist visa.

We were in the exact situation you are. After 3 attempts to get the tourist visa an officer explained to me why.

He said " your documents are perfect & I believe you will return to Thailand but if I issue the visa I will be fired the same day". He said the policy was no matter what was presented that the " strongest ties " were to the husband. "This means because you are married she will remain in the USA because her husbands ties are to the USA". He also said that if we had a tourist visa we would probably be turned away at the POE anyway. He said they go by the history of the country rather than the evidence submitted.

At the same time I know people that have gotten tourist visas. I just dont know any that were married at the time.

I did not work in Thailand.

My wife did work.

My residence was USA. I was in Thailand for over a year.

My wife owned property.

She had all the typical ties to Thailand.

When they learn that you intend to marry again in the USA they will not issue the visa. Ridiculouse I know because I think people here on V J believe you will do what you say.

Its 131 bucks to give it a try & you wont know until she walks up to the window no matter what anyone says. Its possible that my experiance wont be yours. I hope not.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

can i get a k-1 visa?

Do you work in Thailand?

We were in the exact situation you are. After 3 attempts to get the tourist visa an officer explained to me why.

He said " your documents are perfect & I believe you will return to Thailand but if I issue the visa I will be fired the same day". He said the policy was no matter what was presented that the " strongest ties " were to the husband. "This means because you are married she will remain in the USA because her husbands ties are to the USA". He also said that if we had a tourist visa we would probably be turned away at the POE anyway. He said they go by the history of the country rather than the evidence submitted.

At the same time I know people that have gotten tourist visas. I just dont know any that were married at the time.

My wife did work.

My wife owned property.

When they learn that you intend to marry again in the USA they will not issue the visa. Ridiculouse I know because I think people here on V J believe you will do what you say.

Its 131 bucks to give it a try & you wont know until she walks up to the window no matter what anyone says. Its possible that my experiance wont be yours. I hope not.

I was sort of thinking the same thing myself. Tourist visas are not easy to get for Thai people. Like you said, it's only $131, but I wouldn't bet on getting one.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

can i get a k-1 visa?

Do you work in Thailand?

My wife did work.

My wife owned property.

:thumbs:

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Why go thru so much headache?? Just apply for spouse visa and she will get approved maybe in 9-10 months. Enjoy life till then and work hard.

Sept 10th 2007 - Sent N400 For Naturalization

Sept 15th 2007 - Meet Fiancee online

December 18th 2007 - Left for india to see fiancee

Jan 1st 2008 - Engaged!!!!!!

Jan 15th 2008 - Biometrics Fingerprinted

May 20th 2008 - Naturalized Citizen

May 30th 2008 - Sent I129 F

June 4th 2008 - NOA 1 Received

July 3rd 2008 - Touched

September 6th 2008 - Left for France.

September 23rd 2008 - NOA2 Received

September 27th 2008 - Will leave for Malaysia from paris.

September 28th 2008 - Will meet fiance after 261 days!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 18th 2008 - Will return back to the US after spending 3 weeks with fiancee.

Dec 28th 2008 - Fiancee Visa approved

Jan 1st 2009 - Fiancee landed on US Soil

Jan 6th 2009 - Married

Jan 30th 2009 - Filed for AOS

May 31st 2009 - AOS Approved

NOA1 - Received on June 4th 2008

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

can i get a k-1 visa?

Do you work in Thailand?

My wife did work.

My wife owned property.

I was sort of thinking the same thing myself. Tourist visas are not easy to get for Thai people. Like you said, it's only $131, but I wouldn't bet on getting one.

I met with an American Airlines pilot and his Thai girlfriend here in Dallas. He said he had to fax all kinds of things to the embassy in Thailand for her to get her tourist visa. She got it. I'm still a little bewildered about that. I always thought it was 100% about the applicant. Like the previous posters, it only costs $131 to get shot down. It wont have any impact on a future K visa.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

before i married, we tried for a tourist visa. i made the mistake of going to the interview with her. the interviewer ask who i was, said i was fiance... and it went totally cold from that instant on.... and she had all the reasons to return to thailand- property, family, etc. but the interviewer hardly looked at her papers. it's just weird and in my opion pretty dumb, but mai pen lai.

can i get a k-1 visa?

Do you work in Thailand?

My wife did work.

My wife owned property.

Gorgeous the life!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.