mandahulusi

Name Change after marriage on K-1

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello all,

I surveyed the previous posts and the FAQ about this but the response I got today at the Social Security office confused me a bit.

My wife arrived here in the US about 3 weeks ago on a K-1 and we got married over last weekend. Today, we went to the social security office to apply for a card and we filled out the form using her new hyphened last name consisting of her birth name and mine. The lady at the counter told us that she didn't appear in their system (which I thought should be obvious since this is not her name yet) and told us to go change the name at the Immigration Office. This part confused me because every single piece of information I got thus far implies that the Social Security Office is where you change your name at, although I wasn't really clear on whether that's the case if you don't have any social security card at all.

So I guess my question is: If she doesn't have a social security card at all, where does she change her name? Do we just fill out the AOS with the new name so that she gets updated with the new name in the system? Or is there a better way cause that sounds like it could take some time.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello all,

I surveyed the previous posts and the FAQ about this but the response I got today at the Social Security office confused me a bit.

My wife arrived here in the US about 3 weeks ago on a K-1 and we got married over last weekend. Today, we went to the social security office to apply for a card and we filled out the form using her new hyphened last name consisting of her birth name and mine. The lady at the counter told us that she didn't appear in their system (which I thought should be obvious since this is not her name yet) and told us to go change the name at the Immigration Office. This part confused me because every single piece of information I got thus far implies that the Social Security Office is where you change your name at, although I wasn't really clear on whether that's the case if you don't have any social security card at all.

So I guess my question is: If she doesn't have a social security card at all, where does she change her name? Do we just fill out the AOS with the new name so that she gets updated with the new name in the system? Or is there a better way cause that sounds like it could take some time.

Did you show them your marriage certificate?????

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

In most cases it is through marraige where the name change occurs. Showing your marriage certificate along with her passport ought to be sufficient. That is what we did.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html

Now is she's not showing up in the system, that's a different thing, thought the VJ Guides do say that 2 weeks is typically enough. In some cases VJ'ers have been able to go the day or two after arrival and be in the SSA system.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
Hello all,

Did you show them your marriage certificate?????

yeah we did :)

Filed: Timeline
If she doesn't have a social security card at all, where does she change her name? Do we just fill out the AOS with the new name so that she gets updated with the new name in the system? Or is there a better way cause that sounds like it could take some time.

Applying for an SSN in her married name is not a legal name change. The SSN is assigned in the married name based on the marriage that states allow a woman to change her name based on having married.

There is no connection between the SSN record and the name you use for the AOS. When you file the AOS you provide a copy of your marriage certificate and you are adjusting from a K-1, so they will figure it out if you apply with the married name.

What the SSA office told you is incorrect. You have the option of trying another office (take off the wedding ring and don't say you are married) or going back to the first one and applying in the maiden name or trying the married name again and plead your case with a manager if you have trouble again

Point this out:

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name

When an alien applies for an SSN card, presume the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

D. Examples of Legal Name Changes

4. Name Change to a Name Different From Name on Immigration Document

Monica Mumma Stottlemyer applies for a replacement SSN card in her married name. She:

-- Completes an SS-5 showing her first name as Monica, her middle name as Mumma, and her last name as Smith;

-- Completes the other names used field, showing that name as “Monica (first name), Mumma Stottlemyer (last name);”

-- Signs the SS-5 as “Monica M. Smith;”

-- Submits a U.S. marriage document showing Monica Mumma Stottlemyer and John Smith married last week (the marriage document shows the dates of birth for Monica and John);

-- Submits a driver's license with her photograph that shows the name Monica M. Smith; and

-- Submits a DHS employment authorization card with her photograph and showing her name as “Mumma Stottlemyer, Monica.”

The U.S. marriage document supports the legal name change and is acceptable evidence of identity in both the old name and the new name because it shows biographical data (date of birth) that can be compared to the Numident record. Further, the name to be shown on the SSN card agrees with the name on the additional identity document in the new legal name (the driver's license).

SSA can process the name change request. Process the SS-5 to have the name “Monica (first name) Mumma (middle name) Smith (last name) to be shown in the card and enter “Monica (first name) Mumma Stottlemyer (compound surname) as an “other name used.” The compound surname must be entered the same way it is shown on the immigration document. Advise the NH to also contact DHS to change her surname to “Smith” with that agency.

Be sure to point out it says ADVISE, not MUST change the name with DHS.

Edited by I Quit

• 9 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Did you find a way to resolve this?

My wife is on a K1 visa and has her SS card. Now we just need to get a new card with her new name.

My wife and I have been to the SS office twice and they tell us that we have to update the name with Immigration before they will issue a new SS card. We bring to the office our marriage license, her passport, the first SS card and the SS-5 form.

As far as I can tell, there is no process to change the I-94 form due to a marriage.

I am at a complete loss of what we can do.

Filed: Timeline

Did you find a way to resolve this?

My wife is on a K1 visa and has her SS card. Now we just need to get a new card with her new name.

My wife and I have been to the SS office twice and they tell us that we have to update the name with Immigration before they will issue a new SS card. We bring to the office our marriage license, her passport, the first SS card and the SS-5 form.

As far as I can tell, there is no process to change the I-94 form due to a marriage.

What SSA office told you this? This is not true. Tell them to read this

If the required documents show clearly different names, we cannot accept the evidence to process the application. In these situations, the applicant must submit evidence showing the same name, or submit evidence of a name change that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

Edited by I Quit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.