keneisha

Immigration lawyer vs. Doing it yourself

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If your case has no complicating factors I suggest saving the money you would have spent on an attorney and use it for airfare to bring you SO to the US. I know of several couples who have used attorneys and the bottom line is that the attorney sent the forms to their clients for them to provide the information required on the forms. So my question is then: What good did an attorney do for these couples? If there are complications, then by all means use an attorney. This is only MHO.

-------------------------------

ticker.png

02/25/2006 Met Rong in person in Shenzhen, China

03/25/2006 Sent I-129F package to NSC

04/04/2006 Touched - received NOA1

07/03/2006 Touched - received RFE - IMBRA form

08/12/2006 Received NOA2 letter in the mail today!!

08/30/2006 NVC received case and assigned case number

09/07/2006 NVC sent case to China - Guangzhou Consulate

12/03/2006 Rong received P3 package!!!

01/11/2007 Rong received P4 and official interview date (soon, very soon!)

02/08/2007 Scheduled date for Rong's interview at Guangzhou Consulate

02/08/2007 Interview went smoothly

02/26/2007 Rong entered the USA via Chicago

03/16/2007 Rong and Steve are married!!

03/30/2007 Applied for AOS and EAD.

06/10/2007 Received RFE - I693A required

07/25/2007 Sent completed I693A back

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

We went with a lawyer, the cost was more than justified. We figured that for just a small amount why chance making a mistake? This K1 Fiancee Visa is way too important for the both of us and we didn't want to make any mistakes. The lawyer that we went through was very professional and also called my fiancee in China to answer her questions and to ease her mind. This is well worth the money.

Thanks,

Keith & Xiang

2005-07-20 Sent Xiang first email

2005-11-19 Met Xiang in Nanning

2005-11-25 Asked for Xiang's hand in marriage

2006-02-21 Date I-129F Sent

2006-02-24 Date I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2006-03-15 Applied for Emergency Expedite

2006-04-03 Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2006-04-25 Date packet was sent from NVC to Guangzhou, China

2006-07-07 Date Xiang recieved Packet #3 from Guangzhou, China

2006-07-08 Date Xiang sent Packet #3 to the U.S. Consulate

2006-07-27 Date Xiang recieved request for biographical information on our daughter

2006-07-27 Date Xiang sent biographical information to the U.S. Consulate

2006-08-17 Date Xiang sent biographical information to the U.S. Consulate, again!

2006-08-21 Date Xiang called, faxed and mailed the U.S. Consulate the biographical information

2006-08-22 Email from the U.S. Consulate, they FINALLY received the G-325A form for our daughter!

2006-08-22 Waiting patiently for Packet #4 to arrive, bring my soulmate to my open arms!!!

2006-08-25 Packet #4 sent out from the U.S. Consulate, in transit to my baby!!!

2006-08-29 11:25pm Email from the U.S. Consulate, the interview date is October 17th!

2006-09-29 Medical examination for Xiang and our daughter Qi. Interview is just around the corner!

2006-10-16 11:15pm VISA APPROVED!!!!

2006-10-29 Xiang and Qi arrived in Detroit, immigrations 2 1/2 hours, finally holding my sweetheart in my arms.

2006-11-05 Exchanging our vows, what a beautiful day for our wedding!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I wanted to hire a lawyer when we started with the whole process.... but then i found VJ!

VJ helped me a lot and provided me with so much information and people on here convinced me that in my case (straightforward case... no kids, no prior marriages, no overstays, no police records...) i dont need a lawyer....

so far everything went well

by the way i started a poll to see how many ppl on here actually used an immigration lawyer

here is the link http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23274

Immigration lawyer vs doing it yourself

blackribbonsmall.png

Walk with the angels

let them keep you safe

we'll join you one day

in that wonderful place

stand on the clouds and never forget

we're holding on to you

in our memories and thoughts

until one day we'll meet again

Truly missed but never forgotten:

Diana

RIP 1982-08/2008

Verena

RIP 1983-03/2008

Daddy

RIP

"IMMIGRATION" PROCESS (TIMELINE):CLICK HERE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Here is another opinion, and remember opinions are like a*****es everyone has one.

In most cases, the expense of a lawyer is not worth it. I challenge anyone to prove to me that hiring a lawyer has ever sped up a straight forward case. From what I have seen on this board, in most cases they have only delayed the process and or given out bad information. When I originally set out to submit a petition I contacted numerous lawyers and from they told me I decided to educate myself on the process and become my own lawyer. Besides who has more interest in my case than myself? I know that I will have to get a I-601 waiver approved also and have done all the research and have even gotten that ready to go. Now having said all that, it has to be a personal decision. But if I were you, I would spend some time reading the guides, reading the information on the USCIS site and then make a decision. Download the forms go thru them and I think you will find out this is not as hard as you think it is. The hardest part is the waiting!!!!!!

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just wanted to add my $.02 to this topic. We decided to hire an immigration attorney for piece of mind to ensure that the paperwork was filled out correctly and that we will have guidance throughout the entire process. With something as important as this, we felt the $$$ was worth it. The final package the lawyer put together was done on their computer program and was a very professional looking document complete with all the necessary requirements. That said, the imformation provided on this site is so thorough that you would be able to complete the forms on your own.

Unfortunately, one thing the lawyer can't do is work around the recent IMBRA legislation and RFE, they can't speed up the CSC, they can't move your petition through any faster, etc... It may give you piece of mind and great looking document but they can't do anything to speed up the extremely lengthy processing times.

Good luck with your decision.

4.20.2006 - Engaged

5.15.2006 - Lawyer submits I-129F to CSC (via overnight)

5.17.2006 - NOA1

5.30.2006 - Receipt acknowledged by CSC

6.23.2006 - CSC issues RFE by snail mail

7.5.2006 - RFE received by lawyer

7.10.2006 - Response to RFE sent to CSC (via overnight)

7.18.2006 - CSC acknowledged receipt of response to the RFE

8.24.2066 - Approved

8.30.2006 - Received the approval in the mail (I-797C, Notice of Action)

• 2 weeks later...

If you decide to go for an attorney, ask people to reccommend you one..

I regret so bad hiring mine.

I duly agree with what is being said. My first time around, I did it on my own and got approved. The bad part was that my ex-fiancee got denied because of admittance to prior drug usage. :(

I do not need an attorney for the filing portion. Having this POWERFUL forum here will suffice I think. :D

BUT -- I want an attorney because some new things are around now. Like that IMBRA deal. I want the lawyer for when AFTER I file. To keep track of things for me as well. If I need help on something.

A friend recommended me "Holmes and Lolly" Imm. Lawyers, here is their link >> http://www.fianceevisas.com/?gfv

If any1 has good lawyer experiences, be nice to hear before I decide what to do by year's end.

I will write more about my personal situation here when I can, (likely in the next few days), but I wanted to share with everyone here that Holmes and Lolly (who I hired) is the REASON I am here. Needless to say, I am TERRIBLY unimpressed with them up to this point. Caveat Emptor. Save your money, unless you have extenuating circumstances. My fiancee and I have found out more about the process at this point, than H&L seems to know. At this point in the process, I would NOT reccommend H&L. Your mileage may vary.

- Z

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I decided to use a lawyer also as I really did not have this site to rely on when I started the process. Having everything in order and correct was far more important to me than anything else as we are talking about my Fiance, my life.

First off, they wanted my check payment before they would lift a finger. They got it and then they had to wait untill my check cleared, which it did but they said it had not just to buy time I guess- it took 2 weeks for the package to be mailed to me (lawyer was on Vacation). And it had the old style form with carbon paper which I did not use - of course I used the downloaded G325 PDF that you have to have 4 copies signed.

Then they said to send my petition to CSC but I was wondering why the USCIS website said to send it to TSC (remember, i did not have this website) whch I had already sent to CSC. They could not answer this since they go by a computer program which by the way was correct - so they said send another petition to TSC (and another 180.00) and they said if it is wrong then they (TSC) would just send it back to us - but they did not, they forward it to CSC where I had two NOA1s, two Noa2s and all this time my lawyer said do not worry since they had cancled the second petition (yes I lost my cash).

By the way I was the one who informed MY lawyer that they had been transfering to CSC from TSC when I found this website.

When we went to Rio for interview time they called me in (which I found strange) and asked my why my/our petition was cancled by NVC. Yes, cancled!! And then said " . .we can go no further with your interview until we hear word that your petition can be reinstated by NVC" - the lowest point in our whole journey.

We got it straightended out finally as we had to reschedule our 2nd interview a few days later (thank God that they let us) with a ton of money more spent on internet cafes (emailing lawyer, NVC, USCIS) and the very helpful and understanding Consulate himself (they expedited our Visa so I did not have to change our international flights sinc we had to stay longer in Rio- somthing I did not ask them to do!!).

Our lawyer asked if we wanted them to do the AOS / EAD for us :lol: . We did it ourselves and just got the NOAs on this yesterday!!

Bottom line, people go to Imm. lawyers because they do not know about sites like these. I would have definatly done it myself had I known about this site and read a little bit more on it. Sure you can get some confusing information here sometimes but in all, people are on this site offer support and advise. Our lawyer meant well, and Val IS here with me, but I think it is better if you do it yourself in my own experience since lawyers can make mistakes just as easy as anyone else can but will never admitt a mistake if they do make one.

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
I wanted to know if anyone had any advice on getting an immigration lawyer.

That was the first post I made on here also. It was recommended that I not use a lawyer and I am very glad I did. The main reason was that you are not always your lawyers highest priority. With the help of everyone here and the documentation they have gotten together, the process can be done quite easily. (It might be long and anxious, but it can be done.)

The item not mentioned here but obviously a thought is the money. The money I saved, I am planning to visit my fiancee and attend the interview with her.

Best of luck - - and start the process right away.

Edited by Danny&Adri

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

~=~................. .................................................~=~

~=~.... pushpin.gif All is going very well !.......................... ~=~

~=~...................................................................~=~

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

3dflags_col0001-0003a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_usasc01-0003a.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Coming from Italy I do not think a lawyer will be necessary...unless there is something unusual or complicated about your case.

The guides, advice and forms you will find here are more than enough help to be able to complete this process yourself.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We used an attorney (Holmes & Lolly) for the first K1. It provided some peace of mind -- but we did most of the work and my fiance, in particular, was dissatisfied that the level of support provided to her by the attorney and their Russian paralegals was not at all what we expected.

We were not planning on using an attorney this time, until we became aware how we are touched by IMBRA. We are using an attorney to help us assess options and to review documents. But this time, we'll do the filings ourselves. Although our second visa (K1, K3, CR1 is yet to be determined) may be a little more complex than the first one, our legal fees will be a lot less. And we'll retain better understanding and marginally better control of the process.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.