shungjua

did you accompany your fiance into US first time?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i will be bringing my fiance and her son into the US from China. i was wondering if anyone has also done this. was it quick and painless at immigration at the airport? were there any hang ups or surprises? were you able to accompany her in the non-resident line? anything i should know or be aware of?

thanks.

met in hong kong 09/16/08

visited beijing 11/23/08

filed k1 12/23/08

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
i will be bringing my fiance and her son into the US from China. i was wondering if anyone has also done this. was it quick and painless at immigration at the airport? were there any hang ups or surprises? were you able to accompany her in the non-resident line? anything i should know or be aware of?

thanks.

Hello -

I brought my fiance and her 11-year old son (K1/K2) from the Philippines. The only surprise was the Embassy had mistakenly check that her son was girl not a boy on his I-94. She got all the way to the plane and they turned her around. The flight cancelled, back to the Embassy for the correction, and a major rebooking of flights came next. So, I don't know about standing in the non-immgrant line with them (probably not) but if they question her you certainly can step into it. Double check the accuracy of all the papers, etc.

Good luck and best wishes to your new family

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I accompanied my wife then fiancee on her trip to the USA, simply stay together and use the (Immigrants/Visitors) line at the POE.

Your profile indicates China, I recommend "A Candle for Love" that site discusses Chinese Immigrations issues.

http://candleforlove.com

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

thanks.

No hangups or surprises. Yes, you can go to the same line as her. Just make sure you have her passport and the secret envelope and you will be fine. It wasn't "quick" for us but only because there is always long lines at JFK.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for asking that... I was wondering if I would be able to stand in line with my fiancee but hadn't asked the question yet :)

-Jason

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Mailed I-129F: November 16, 2009

I-129F Recieved: November 19, 2009

NOA1: November 20, 2009

Check Cashed: November 23, 2009

NOA2: March 1, 2010

Wedding Date: November 27, 2010

event.png

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I accompanined mine from Jamaica. Our only surprise was that they didn't take the brown envelope from him. Luckily, I caught that and they sent us back. Otherwise, it was quick and painless. We came through Miami.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

thanks.

No hangups or surprises. Yes, you can go to the same line as her. Just make sure you have her passport and the secret envelope and you will be fine. It wasn't "quick" for us but only because there is always long lines at JFK.

sorry but what is the secret envelope ? who gives that ? i had my interview but i received nothing expet original papers ! :whistle:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

thanks.

sorry but what is the secret envelope ? who gives that ? i had my interview but i received nothing expet original papers ! :whistle:

have you received the actual visa yet?

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

My wife (then fiancee) flew to the US with me, and I took her with me through the US citizen side of Immigrations. There were no complaints, it just took a little longer than when you come back by yourself. They open the mystery envelope, find some forms and fill out some stuff. The officer just made some casual conversation while he was finding the forms, and he asked us the date we were planning to marry. Overall, pretty painless.

10-28-2008 - I-129F petition in the mail

11-03-2008 - NOA1

03-26-2009 - NOA2

04-23-2009 - P3

06-11-2009 - P4

07-16-2009 - interview - APPROVED

07-22-2009 - visa in hand

08-05-2009 - US entry

09-13-2009 - wedding

10-20-2009 - AOS application in the mail

10-28-2009 - NOA

11-25-2009 - biometrics appointment

12-18-2009 - EAD approved

12-22-2009 - EAD card received

01-28-2010 - interview - APPROVED

02-12-2010 - green card received

11-07-2011 - I-751 petition in the mail

11-10-2011 - NOA

12-30-2011 - biometrics appointment

08-13-2012 - approval

03-28-2013 - N-400 application in the mail

04-02-2013 - NOA

04-30-2013 - biometrics appointment

06-13-2013 - interview - APPROVED

08-26-2013 - oath

When Nik was coming for a visit (pre K1) just after I had gone for a visit to the UK, we flew together, and I went with him in the non-immigrant line.

Since we had no formal relationship they made us pass immigration separately. Not sure how that goes when it's petitioner and beneficiary though.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

for me yes. its frightening to travel alone for such a very long trip.

Event Date

Meet Online : October 2005

First Visit : June 2007

Second Visit : End of December 2007 - January 2008

Engaged : December 29, 2007 (inside the airport car waaaa!!)

Third Visit : March 2009

I-129F Sent : April 22, 2009

I-129F NOA1 : May 14, 2009

I-129F NOA2 : August 14, 2009

NOA2 letter recd: August 20, 2009

NVC left : August 25, 2009

NVC letter recd: August 26, 2009

Consulate recd: unknown

Packet 3 : no packet 3

Medical : Sept. 14 - 15, 2009 - passed

Interview: Sept. 23, 2009 - Approved! yay thank you lord

POE : California - October 22, 2009 with my sweetie!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

thanks.

have you received the actual visa yet?

no not yet ! still waiting for their call

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I accompanied my husband, then fiance, from Brazil to the U.S. because I wanted us to experience his move together - and I attended the interview with him.

He went through the U.S. citizen line with me (I'd read previously on VJ that that is permitted). The officer first game him a bit of a dirty look when he saw his Brazilian passport, but then I explained that he was emigrating on a K1 visa and the officer softened and was pleasant. He pointed us to the room we needed to go to, lugging our brown envelope and the huge chest x-ray :blush: .

Our POE was Miami and the officer there was rude because my husband has two last names - hello, millions of people do! Other than that it was quick (15-20 minutes) and painless.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.