4lovewelive

Siganture on passport and visa forms

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I think I did a pretty dumb thing and now I'm freaking out!! I thought since I'm gonna be married soon, I could already practice my new signature :), which I like more than my old one :) I don't know if that's illegal, stupid or whatever but I did it. So I started using it a lot at work and everywhere I guess. A few months ago when we petitioned for K1 I used my old signature on all the forms and I had the same signature on my old passport. Now, I'm getting ready for the interview and I'm filling in forms in package 3 (DS230 I). I used my old signature on this form, cause it made sense to me, but then I realized that I signed my new passport with the new signature. (I changed my passport at the beginning of this month). So basically now I dont know what to do.... Having 2 signatures is obviously insane, if not illegal, so how can I fix this problem??? Please advice! I haven't send back the forms yet cause I dont know what to do.....

map.jpg

NOA1 - 09/18/2009

Touched - 10/22/2009

NOA2 - 10/22/2009

NOA2 hard copy received - 10/30/2009

NVC letter received - 10/31/2009

Received package 3 - 11/06/2009

Sent the papers required in package 3 to the embassy - 12/04/2009

My fiance arrived in Romania - 01/31/2010

Medical - 02/01/2010

Interview - 02/02/2010 - Visa approved!!!!

Entered USA (POE: Atlanta) - 02/15/2010

Marriage - 05/08/2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am fairly certain it is not illegal.... your signature is your "unique" mark.... it can be anything you want it to be... my signature is not even legible so no one could even decipher what it is or says...

YMMV

i started changing my signature as soon as i got married and that has been one of my concerns too. But hey, at least you have your old passport with your old signature right? bring that along and if they question the change, then show that to them :)

Luke 18:27 Jesus said" what is impossible to men is possible with God."

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

09/09/09-K-1 visa approved

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

08/26/10-319B n400 starts

11-09-10 Interview 10 AM >Approved

11-09-10 oath 2 PM Fairfax, VA

All glory, praises, thanksgiving and admiration belong only to God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "for i know the plans i have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you¬ harm you, plans to give you hope & a future"

Timeline

Ok, thanks for the answers! I feel much better now :) If anything, I will have to explain them my crazy story at the interview :)

map.jpg

NOA1 - 09/18/2009

Touched - 10/22/2009

NOA2 - 10/22/2009

Medical - 02/01/2010

Marriage - 05/08/2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I think I did a pretty dumb thing and now I'm freaking out!! I thought since I'm gonna be married soon, I could already practice my new signature :), which I like more than my old one :) I don't know if that's illegal, stupid or whatever but I did it. So I started using it a lot at work and everywhere I guess. A few months ago when we petitioned for K1 I used my old signature on all the forms and I had the same signature on my old passport. Now, I'm getting ready for the interview and I'm filling in forms in package 3 (DS230 I). I used my old signature on this form, cause it made sense to me, but then I realized that I signed my new passport with the new signature. (I changed my passport at the beginning of this month). So basically now I dont know what to do.... Having 2 signatures is obviously insane, if not illegal, so how can I fix this problem??? Please advice! I haven't send back the forms yet cause I dont know what to do.....

In terms of a signature, it doesn't matter. If you can make anything of Alla's signature, I will give you the grad prize! It is the same eligible squiggle before and after marriage. The only thing I would concern myself with is that with a K-1 you CANNOT be married before entering the United States and anything that indicates you have "changed your name" could be questioned. I would be very careful about how you refer to yourself until after your marriage in the USA. Though you can certainly sign something anyway you like

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If you're concerned about it, print a new DS 230 and sign it like your passport. I'm confused though. As a K1, your name hasn't changed yet. Did you just sign using the Roman alphabet instead of the Cyrillic?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

In terms of a signature, it doesn't matter. If you can make anything of Alla's signature, I will give you the grad prize! It is the same eligible squiggle before and after marriage. The only thing I would concern myself with is that with a K-1 you CANNOT be married before entering the United States and anything that indicates you have "changed your name" could be questioned. I would be very careful about how you refer to yourself until after your marriage in the USA. Though you can certainly sign something anyway you like

You're right. I dont wanna raise any suspicions. Maybe I didnt make my story very clear. Im not married yet, just engaged and I didnt change my name. I just changed my signature. You know how sometimes very young girls (not my excuse though) dream of getting maried with the guy they are in love with so they try to see what their signature could look like if they would get married to him... So it all started with a silly 'game'... trying to create a new signature for the day when i will be married. In my country you are supposed to use your new signature when you sign your marriage certificate, so I said to myself I should practice before that :lol: And I practiced so much that I forgot about my old signature and started using the new one.... It's too tiny on my new passport to figure out if it looks like my fiance's name, so I really hope noone will notice.

We dont use the Cyrillic alphabet in Romania. We use the Roman one.

map.jpg

NOA1 - 09/18/2009

Touched - 10/22/2009

NOA2 - 10/22/2009

Medical - 02/01/2010

Marriage - 05/08/2010

Timeline

You're right. I dont wanna raise any suspicions. Maybe I didnt make my story very clear. Im not married yet, just engaged and I didnt change my name. I just changed my signature. You know how sometimes very young girls (not my excuse though) dream of getting maried with the guy they are in love with so they try to see what their signature could look like if they would get married to him... So it all started with a silly 'game'... trying to create a new signature for the day when i will be married. In my country you are supposed to use your new signature when you sign your marriage certificate, so I said to myself I should practice before that :lol: And I practiced so much that I forgot about my old signature and started using the new one.... It's too tiny on my new passport to figure out if it looks like my fiance's name, so I really hope noone will notice.

We dont use the Cyrillic alphabet in Romania. We use the Roman one.

So, you signed in what will become your married name? Not a good idea at all.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Well I dont get it. Isnt it what they want? For me to get married to my fiance? Arent they 'forcing' us to play everything by their crazy rules? Its not like Im already married and Im lying about it.... It will become my married name, yes. Besides, it's just a signature, its not his entire family name... it's just 2 illegible letters. Just like my old signature didnt look anything like my family name.. If its not a good idea, then i'll just tell them I got bored of my old signature and chose a new one :) Cause I didnt know im not allowed to do it....

map.jpg

NOA1 - 09/18/2009

Touched - 10/22/2009

NOA2 - 10/22/2009

Medical - 02/01/2010

Marriage - 05/08/2010

Timeline
Well I dont get it. Isnt it what they want? For me to get married to my fiance? Arent they 'forcing' us to play everything by their crazy rules? Its not like Im already married and Im lying about it.... It will become my married name, yes. Besides, it's just a signature, its not his entire family name... it's just 2 illegible letters. Just like my old signature didnt look anything like my family name.. If its not a good idea, then i'll just tell them I got bored of my old signature and chose a new one :) Cause I didnt know im not allowed to do it....

If it's not legible, it's no problem. The concept is to be accurate in real time, not in the future tense. When they ask what is, tell them what IS, not what will be.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

So today I told my fiance this crazy story :) And I showed him both signatures. And he couldnt figure out what they mean. Mainly because in Romania, when you write your name it starts with family name, then you have your surname. Usually the same when you sign your name. You just use the family name or a few letters of it. So my new signature didnt really make sense to him... Anyway he suggested I should go change my passport again... I dunno if those people at the police section are gonna believe my crazy story or they will consider it suspicious activity, since I changed my passport 2 weeks ago!!

Gees, I cant believe Im so stupid :)

map.jpg

NOA1 - 09/18/2009

Touched - 10/22/2009

NOA2 - 10/22/2009

Medical - 02/01/2010

Marriage - 05/08/2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.