ellmvl

Got my GC, No SSN yet

9 posts in this topic

I got my GC on the mail today which is good. It says on the welcome letter that they received my visa packet on Nov. 4 and they ordered the production of my card on Nov. 6...and today is Nov. 12 (GC received). My concern is my SSN hasn't arrive yet. How long does it usually take to get here? Should I wait or can I just go to the SS office to personally apply for one. What if they already made one, is there a way that i can check (online/phone) if they already assigned a no. for me? I can feel my boredom and homesickness is really getting worse everyday especially with this cold weather condition knowing that i came from a tropical country, so depressing. I wanna work, I just want to be productive. I miss working, getting up early in the morning, get dress, put make up on, go to work and mingle with people. I cant do much in here but to clean the house and cook for my hubby but when he's at work ill be left alone with the cats and the computer watching my plants grow in farmville (facebook) :bonk::whistle:

Edited by ellmvl

ZlYHm6.png

You will soon realize that in over 95% of cases people who ticked the box for the SSN to be sent to them never actually received one and have to go to SSA office to apply for one.

What you should do is go to the SSA office and fill out an application (available online) and ask for the SSN.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

majority of the time it seems one has to go down to the local SSN office and reapply for the SSN, even if u ticked off the box on the ds 230! if after 10-14 BUSINESS days after u entered the usa and no SSN, head down to the SSN office and ask about it. Take ur green card with you and passport for ID purposes and best to already have the form filled out. One can download the form at ssn.gov.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I got my GC on the mail today which is good. It says on the welcome letter that they received my visa packet on Nov. 4 and they ordered the production of my card on Nov. 6...and today is Nov. 12 (GC received). My concern is my SSN hasn't arrive yet. How long does it usually take to get here? Should I wait or can I just go to the SS office to personally apply for one. What if they already made one, is there a way that i can check (online/phone) if they already assigned a no. for me? I can feel my boredom and homesickness is really getting worse everyday especially with this cold weather condition knowing that i came from a tropical country, so depressing. I wanna work, I just want to be productive. I miss working, getting up early in the morning, get dress, put make up on, go to work and mingle with people. I cant do much in here but to clean the house and cook for my hubby but when he's at work ill be left alone with the cats and the computer watching my plants grow in farmville (facebook) :bonk::whistle:

The SSA cannot issue you a card until the USCIS enters your info in the system. So you can choose to wait a few more weeks to see if they send you a card now that you've received your green card, or you can also go in person and find out if they are working on issuing a card. If not, then you can file right on the spot.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

<<<<<<farmville addict here, I sympathise. I just started a job.....and suddenly I dont care about my animals so much anymore.

If you are really struggling, I'd take matters into your own hands and apply.

Good luck :)

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Thank you so much guys for ur input. I guess ill just try my luck to go to the SS office next week and apply for one. I'd rather do that than sit here and wait for my SSN. If i get lucky, I might be able to have it first week of December and hopefully can find a job to start with.

@ Ellie-and_David: I've been in fb for quite awhile but i just recently started playing farmville (due to boredom) now i am addicted to it and worse of it, my husband too LOL Too funny how we plan things in our farms and sometimes argue about it lol i know we're silly. Anyways, I am actually looking for a job right now but I cant get one without my SSN right?

ZlYHm6.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

How can you get a GC without a SSN? Do you leave the line blank when filling out the forms where they ask for your SSN?

We went to the SS office and filed in person last month and they said it would be about 2 months before she would get the card in the mail. I am filling out all the papers for the AOS (K-1) and I am leaving that line blank till the last min.

Her deadline in Dec 7th, I don't think I will make it, but know I will within the 6 month mark of her arrival.

02/03/09 I-129F sent

02/19/09 P1

06/02/09 P2 (103 days)

06/11/09 P2.5

06/15/09 P3 sent

07/05/09 P3 returned

07/17/09 P4 sent

07/23/09 P4 received

08/27/09 interview - PINK

09/01/09 VISA in hand

09/08/09 state side

10/16/09 married

01/20/10 mailed AOS/AP/EAD

From sending the P1 to interview

189 days = 6 months and 8 days

05/05/08 Met Online

11/21/08 1st trip

01/23/09 2nd trip

08/22/09 3rd trip

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi. My DH got his I-130 GC in the mail almost two months ago, but still no s.s. card. He had to return to Italy for business projects. Does anyone know if he would need to apply in person at the s.s. office, or if I could apply for him after he signs the form?

Thank you!

Hi. My DH got his I-130 GC in the mail almost two months ago, but still no s.s. card. He had to return to Italy for business projects. Does anyone know if he would need to apply in person at the s.s. office, or if I could apply for him after he signs the form?

Thank you!

You can mail in the form, but it may be easier to go with your husband to the local SSA office once he returns from Italy.

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.