Copperblade

It all happened so quickly... do I go to interview with my fiance?

11 posts in this topic

I was expecting the process to take longer. I seemed to get the paperwork relatively fast (within 3 months). Before I knew it, I had gotten an email from the embassy saying to have my fiance submit a collection of forms. So I guess this is the final step before the interview?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed or required to go to the interview with her. It seems like by the time it's scheduled it's going to be pretty hard for me to get a ticket to do so.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

allowed to attend? maybe, it is consulate specific answer.... Required to attend? certainly not (unless your fiancee is from a consulate such as Ecuador)

YMMV

I was expecting the process to take longer. I seemed to get the paperwork relatively fast (within 3 months). Before I knew it, I had gotten an email from the embassy saying to have my fiance submit a collection of forms. So I guess this is the final step before the interview?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed or required to go to the interview with her. It seems like by the time it's scheduled it's going to be pretty hard for me to get a ticket to do so.

Not a requirement to attend but a PLUS for showing a bonafide relationship if you haven't made multiple trips to see your fiancee.

I don't know if they will allow you to attend or not. If not have your fiancee inform the CO you are there.

From what I've seen over the years on immigration forums those that attended didn't have remorses having done so. Some that didn't attend and were denied did BIGTIME!

Me included!! :bonk:

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

As Pay said, be thankful that you're anywhere but Ecuador, si man.

Look at the "Embassy Info" and "Embassy Reviews" for your embassy (both links are atop every VJ screen). Even if you're not allowed in the interview itself, you may be permitted to wait elsewhere on the premises. If not even that, at least you would be "nearby" and be able to hand your U.S. passport to your fiancee to take into the interview and show the consul. That will score big points, and (although we may never or would rarely know) could be enough to tip a borderline file/interview into an approval.

Your trip there would be long and imaginably expensive, but contrast the pluses with having to kick yourself later for NOT having gone. Spoken with the wisdom of hindsight, si man...

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Yeah, I am going through the same dillema. If I go this will be my 3rd trip. I can't afford to take the days off, but don't want to get a denial. We really have a strong case, but you never know with K-1's.

Jakarta is really fast, if your fiancée gets her medical and paperwork done, you can have an interview as soon as the next business day.

keTiiDCjGVo

Hmmm, seems a bit difficult to coordinate. I've been talking to her about it.

* The embassy suggested she do the medical report within one week of submitting it.

* After the checkup, the medical report takes about 1 week.

* After the paperwork, the time to interview is between 1 - 7 days

* It takes me 2 - 3 days to get to Indonesia (considering the time zone difference).

So if I want to make it there, I'm guessing I should plan the trip 7 days after her checkup. And she can hold the report until the day I got there... but then, what if they take a whole week to set up the interview? How will I know when to get the round trip ticket for?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hope everything works out in your favor

JNR

Hmmm, seems a bit difficult to coordinate. I've been talking to her about it.

* The embassy suggested she do the medical report within one week of submitting it.

* After the checkup, the medical report takes about 1 week.

* After the paperwork, the time to interview is between 1 - 7 days

* It takes me 2 - 3 days to get to Indonesia (considering the time zone difference).

So if I want to make it there, I'm guessing I should plan the trip 7 days after her checkup. And she can hold the report until the day I got there... but then, what if they take a whole week to set up the interview? How will I know when to get the round trip ticket for?

Unless you are already living in Indonesia its difficult to get there in time as it can move rather quickly. You don't need to be at the interview, but you can if they let you. If you are getting a ticket to the US for your fiance, you should not get it until you have the visa in hand. Even if the interview goes well, you may not necessarily receive the visa right away.

keTiiDCjGVo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.