Erroneous

Delay trip to US with approved Visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

This might belong in the consulate forum. I apologize if I posted in the wrong forum.

My fiancee was approved for her K1 Visa and we are approaching our deadline in a few months. We would like to delay her trip to the U.S. so she can take care of some final family issues. As far as I can tell from reading various websites, extensions are not generally allowed? I also read some embassies allow it, but it is uncommon. I would just like to know if it is even a possibility or any complications that might come up from trying to do this. If anyone has some pointers, I appreciate the advice.

Also, advanced parole. I have been reading up on this and if extensions are not allowed is advance parole a good idea? I have no idea how likely it is to be approved or denied. On that same note, how long is it valid for once they you leave the country on advance parole? Or is there a limit on the time someone be out of the country on an advance parole document? From my understanding, she will require advance parol until she is granted permanent status so roughly two years. Can more than one advance parole be granted in that two years or is that unlikely?

Thank you any help you can provide.

-

Erroneous

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
This might belong in the consulate forum. I apologize if I posted in the wrong forum.

My fiancee was approved for her K1 Visa and we are approaching our deadline in a few months. We would like to delay her trip to the U.S. so she can take care of some final family issues. As far as I can tell from reading various websites, extensions are not generally allowed? I also read some embassies allow it, but it is uncommon. I would just like to know if it is even a possibility or any complications that might come up from trying to do this. If anyone has some pointers, I appreciate the advice.

Also, advanced parole. I have been reading up on this and if extensions are not allowed is advance parole a good idea? I have no idea how likely it is to be approved or denied. On that same note, how long is it valid for once they you leave the country on advance parole? Or is there a limit on the time someone be out of the country on an advance parole document? From my understanding, she will require advance parol until she is granted permanent status so roughly two years. Can more than one advance parole be granted in that two years or is that unlikely?

Thank you any help you can provide.

Ask your consulate if they will extend.... they are the decision makers... only they can tell you what they will do.

Advance Parole document when approved, is valid for up to one year....

Permanent residencey does NOT take two years.... lately, the I-485's have been adjudicated in 4-6 mos. (some sooner, some later)

YMMV

Since the visa was approved - it is valid for 6 months (6 months to enter the US). Is this not sufficient time?

You may ask the Embassy/Consulate to extend/re-validate the Visa - the worse they can say is 'no.' Not sure how asking can complicate matters.

Before going further - it might be helpful if you were to explain briefly what exactly your intentions are.. is this family matter going to take weeks, months or years?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

It is most likely going to take up to 6 months past her deadline to enter the U.S. But if she can not extend we will go for advance parole.

I will have her talk to the consulate to find out if that is something she can do.

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it.

Since the visa was approved - it is valid for 6 months (6 months to enter the US). Is this not sufficient time?

You may ask the Embassy/Consulate to extend/re-validate the Visa - the worse they can say is 'no.' Not sure how asking can complicate matters.

Before going further - it might be helpful if you were to explain briefly what exactly your intentions are.. is this family matter going to take weeks, months or years?

-

Erroneous

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
It is most likely going to take up to 6 months past her deadline to enter the U.S. But if she can not extend we will go for advance parole.

I will have her talk to the consulate to find out if that is something she can do.

I get the impression you do not understand how the AP is obtained. She comes here, within the 6 months or whatever length you can get from the Embassy. Then you get married within 90 days. Then you submit your AOS documents along with the AP petition. The AP will be obtained in about 3 months. Then she can return there and be able to re-enter here no problem with the AP.

You can not obtain the AP now before she leaves with her K-1 or before you are married.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I get the impression you do not understand how the AP is obtained. She comes here, within the 6 months or whatever length you can get from the Embassy. Then you get married within 90 days. Then you submit your AOS documents along with the AP petition. The AP will be obtained in about 3 months. Then she can return there and be able to re-enter here no problem with the AP.

You can not obtain the AP now before she leaves with her K-1 or before you are married.

That's correct but she need not wait the three months after the AOS filing. She can go to a local USCIS office with her receipt for filing and a copy of her AP application and request immediate Advance Parole. The key is, she comes here, marries the petitioner in the USA and then applies for status adjustment and advance parole.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
That's correct but she need not wait the three months after the AOS filing. She can go to a local USCIS office with her receipt for filing and a copy of her AP application and request immediate Advance Parole. The key is, she comes here, marries the petitioner in the USA and then applies for status adjustment and advance parole.

In addition, emergency (or immediately adjudicated) AP is not guaranteed. While the success rate might be (or apears to be) in the majority, I would not count on it happening in every situation....

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.