meowmeowmeow

How does embassies, etc. verify details about your relationship and yourselves?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

so, hubby's interview is on Sunday...I was just thinking and obsessing about everything and had a question:

we met in TR when I went there to backpack back in 2006, we married in 2007 after a year of...courtship, I guess, lol. But how would they know this? Certainly, I or he don't have paperwork to verify this, we just met, traveled together, know each other through our parents (my dad and his mom were neighbors growing up) and friends (that's how we met again), etc. I just don't understand...maybe I'm freaking myself out too much.

I just hope and pray there are no delays for us. But this is an honest question: how do embassies really verify such personal information anyways???

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

They look at the evidence - your airplane boarding passes, and hotel, restaurant receipts, photos of the two of you together, phone records, chat records, letters sent with envelopes. In the interview, just be sincere and honest about the courtship and you should be fine. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It's kind of like building a homebuilt aircraft and dealing with the FAA, every bit of material you purchase, every rivet you put in, has to be documented. Really takes the fun of even attempting such a project.

So you have to document your relationship.

If you happen to be old enough to have grown children, kind of humiliating to have a kid evaluate your documentation that still requires their moms to dress them.

Timeline

my main concern is not after our marriage but before....obviously, when i met him, i didnt think that we would get married and be in this situation. FYI, we never wanted to go this route, i was dying to move to dubai and we had planned to do that ever since we got engaged. we felt that the immigration process for the US was going to be a nightmare (YES IT HAS) and we didn't want to deal with it...lo and behold, here we are.... so obviously, i didn't keep a lot of e-mails and my phone records and what not (phone records through t-mobile were not given to me, long story that i've bitched about here at length).

i'm just saying you can say that you met at the circus or paragliding or whatever, how the heck are they gonna know? that's what annoys me....we met having dinner with mutual friends in ankara. but obviously i dont have any proof of that. that's my point.

i get your points, though. thanks...

Timeline:

TBC....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
my main concern is not after our marriage but before....obviously, when i met him, i didnt think that we would get married and be in this situation. FYI, we never wanted to go this route, i was dying to move to dubai and we had planned to do that ever since we got engaged. we felt that the immigration process for the US was going to be a nightmare (YES IT HAS) and we didn't want to deal with it...lo and behold, here we are.... so obviously, i didn't keep a lot of e-mails and my phone records and what not (phone records through t-mobile were not given to me, long story that i've bitched about here at length).

i'm just saying you can say that you met at the circus or paragliding or whatever, how the heck are they gonna know? that's what annoys me....we met having dinner with mutual friends in ankara. but obviously i dont have any proof of that. that's my point.

i get your points, though. thanks...

But you never know until you try, may even run into a human IO that doesn't think he/she is somekind of a god going way overboard to protect the nation. Our AOS officer was very nice.

And in sense, could be protecting the USC from fraud, but that only occurs if the spouse is from a different country. They sure don't protect you from fraud if you marry another USC.

Timeline
But you never know until you try, may even run into a human IO that doesn't think he/she is somekind of a god going way overboard to protect the nation. Our AOS officer was very nice.

And in sense, could be protecting the USC from fraud, but that only occurs if the spouse is from a different country. They sure don't protect you from fraud if you marry another USC.

lol that'd be nice now, wouldn't it? ;)

big brother style.

Timeline:

TBC....

Timeline
Congratulations on his approval! :star::star::star::star::star: When do you expect him to arrive here in the states?

thanks a lot :D

we are looking at 2-4 weeks, i want to definitely start searching for plane tickets when i am sure he has his passport/visa in his hand. i just read some posts on here from people who were told that they were approved, had their passports taken away, then apparently are going through AP. so my bubble is slightly pricked but if they give his passport to him next thursday as they say, then we will start. i definitely want to aim before the end of the month though! he's been bugging me to take him to a thai restaurant in manhattan right after we leave the airport LOL ....

good times :dance::dance:

Timeline:

TBC....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

moved from Off Topic to US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

Congratulations on your approval!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I was kind of wondering about the same thing. My husband and I met in college and dated through junior and senior year. We literally spent every minute together from dawn till dusk but didn't think to document it since obviously we had no idea we'd end up married. We have pictures, chat-logs and support affidavits from friends and parents for evidence. It's not the post-marriage bit but the pre-marriage bit I'm thinking about.

I didn't think to save movie tickets or dinner tabs or hotel/gift receipts (I think I have a few somewhere but those are sitting in the pocket of some winter coat in some suitcase in some storage unit in MI). But I'm guessing me walking into the USEM with a copy of The Dark Knight as proof of Christmas presents exchanged with hubby (then boyfriend) isn't really going to get me very far.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.