serbiangirl

Has anyone Co-Sponsor used their house as an asset on the I864A/I864?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
If so, what kind of documents are needed to use the house as an asset? Thanks!

An appraisal or assessment and a mortgage statement. However, the home one lives in may not satisfy the public charge concern. Generally, they consider liquid assets that can be liquidated within a year without doing harm to the family. Selling the house you live in is generally "harmful" if forced to do so to pay bills. They'll consider the whole picture though so it depends on what else they see.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline
If so, what kind of documents are needed to use the house as an asset? Thanks!

An appraisal or assessment and a mortgage statement. However, the home one lives in may not satisfy the public charge concern. Generally, they consider liquid assets that can be liquidated within a year without doing harm to the family. Selling the house you live in is generally "harmful" if forced to do so to pay bills. They'll consider the whole picture though so it depends on what else they see.

Okay, so I am assuming that a mortgage statement is enough? The embassy stated that my father did not qualify for the I864A due to the poverty guidelines but it is only about a $1,000 difference. So, instead of getting another co-sponsor (like the embassy stated I should possibly get; I will send them my fathers assets.

Mortgage statements from the house AND his saving account, which should definitely be enough. Am I correct?

With the Bank Statement, copies are okay correct and whatever else the bank can provide??

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

If you are using the house, then you also need a current appraisal... This is especially critical now as home values have decreased... I have also read here that they have been reluctant to count the home since the housing market has tanked... Too difficult to sell a home now and with soaring forcolosure... Unless they have a HUGE equity in the house or have a decent amount in savings, you might have another co-sponsor on standby...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

If you are using the house, then you also need a current appraisal... This is especially critical now as home values have decreased... I have also read here that they have been reluctant to count the home since the housing market has tanked... Too difficult to sell a home now and with soaring forcolosure... Unless they have a HUGE equity in the house or have a decent amount in savings, you might have another co-sponsor on standby...

Okay, well, I don't know what to do now. I think I have read somewhere that if I do not have a current appraisal then other documents would be okay. What about a saving account? Should that be okay to use....to subsititute the amount that my father did not have in his yearly income??

Thanks!

Timeline

Page 8 of the I864 instructions has what to submit if using a house... It includes mortgage information and a current appraisal... A few people here have gotten denied use of a house because all assets must be able to be converted to cash within one year, and with the current housing market, some Consulates do not believe that a house can be sold in that amount of time...

As far as the bank accounts and savings, yes, bank statments will suffice... I just wouldent count on the house counting unless, as I said, they have a HUGE equity in the house...

I-130

Citizenship Process;

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Page 8 of the I864 instructions has what to submit if using a house... It includes mortgage information and a current appraisal... A few people here have gotten denied use of a house because all assets must be able to be converted to cash within one year, and with the current housing market, some Consulates do not believe that a house can be sold in that amount of time...

As far as the bank accounts and savings, yes, bank statments will suffice... I just wouldent count on the house counting unless, as I said, they have a HUGE equity in the house...

A Consular officer is not likely to believe your father will sell his house to support your spouse, no matter how much equity he has. Nevertheless, you must document the equity by showing an appraisal or tax assesssment and an mortgage statement to document the equity. Satisfying the public charge concerns is not an issue of meeting statutory minimums. It's a judgment call.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

A Consular officer is not likely to believe your father will sell his house to support your spouse, no matter how much equity he has. Nevertheless, you must document the equity by showing an appraisal or tax assesssment and an mortgage statement to document the equity. Satisfying the public charge concerns is not an issue of meeting statutory minimums. It's a judgment call.

I definitely understand and agree with you but I am sure it has been done it the past. I am hoping that my father can provide from his savings account, documents that state he owns his house and the business he has.

If I have to get an appraisal, then I will do that as well. I wonder if mortgage documents would be enough....has everyone person who used their house as an asset got an appraisal??

Thanks

If I have to get an appraisal, then I will do that as well. I wonder if mortgage documents would be enough....has everyone person who used their house as an asset got an appraisal??

You really don't need to go as far as getting an appraisal done (they're never free and really is a bit of overkill). The equity in the property can be determined (satisfactorily) by a couple easy and free methods.

Really easy way:

• Most recent mortgage statement (shows current balance)

• Most recent property tax statement (shows current value)
The difference in $ between the two is the equity.

Another easy way:

• Ask a local Realtor to give you a valuation (won't cost a dime from a hungry Realtor)..

:thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You really don't need to go as far as getting an appraisal done (they're never free and really is a bit of overkill). The equity in the property can be determined (satisfactorily) by a couple easy and free methods.

Really easy way:

• Most recent property tax statement (shows current value)

Another easy way:

• Ask a local Realtor to give you a valuation (won't cost a dime from a hungry Realtor)..

:thumbs:

Do you know for a fact of a person not submitting the "recent appraisal by a licensed appraiser" required by the I-864 instructions when using a home as an asset and the asset being allowed?

To the best of my knowledge, property tax assessments are not always an accurate measure of current market value.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Recently quite a few have been denied solely based on the house as an asset, especially since the housing market has tanked... As far as requirements for a current appraisal, I can only go by the clear instructions on page 8 which says that they require a current appraisal.. I would think this is fairly important since the rampant decline in housing prices...

As far as if it is needed?? I would call the embassy to find out exactly why... I would get all the savings and other documents of assets together for your father and see if that makes up the difference... But be sure to tell the embassy that you are the sponsor and why the joint sponsors assets are being considered since you clearly qualify?? You can also write them a letter and e-mail it of fax it to them so they are clear on this...

I-130

Citizenship Process;

Do you know for a fact of a person not submitting the "recent appraisal by a licensed appraiser" required by the I-864 instructions when using a home as an asset and the asset being allowed?

To the best of my knowledge, property tax assessments are not always an accurate measure of current market value.

I've not seen a single person (to my knowledge) who has gone out an hired an appraiser to valuate their home for the purpose of documenting it's current liquid value/equity (not saying people probably don't do just that, and the instructions say something to that affect but...).

As for property tax assessments, in probably every market you can think of, they are either spot on or over-valuated (as city budgets get squeezed) and if it's not accurate, it's probably close enough for government work.

A Realtor's valuation would also be perfectly acceptable (showing correct estimated value and current/recent market sales) - it's a real report, not a note scribbled on the back of a business card. You're documenting an estimated value not taking out a second mortgage. As others have stated - all things about a person's affidavit are considered as a group and it's possible the home would not be considered (especially if it is the family home).

I've not seen a single person (to my knowledge) who has gone out an hired an appraiser to valuate their home for the purpose of documenting it's current liquid value/equity (not saying people probably don't do just that, and the instructions say something to that affect but...).

As for property tax assessments, in probably every market you can think of, they are either spot on or over-valuated (as city budgets get squeezed) and if it's not accurate, it's probably close enough for government work.

A Realtor's valuation would also be perfectly acceptable (showing correct estimated value and current/recent market sales) - it's a real report, not a note scribbled on the back of a business card. You're documenting an estimated value not taking out a second mortgage. As others have stated - all things about a person's affidavit are considered as a group and it's possible the home would not be considered (especially if it is the family home).

Thank you! Can I ask...(if this is necessary) would my father's business also be an asset??? He own it and the building. Thanks!

Thank you! Can I ask...(if this is necessary) would my father's business also be an asset??? He own it and the building. Thanks!

Anything is possible - but again, is it something that within a year he would sell if he had to? (Valuating a business is difficult, depends on the kind of business and a lot of other variables.)

I'd say - unless your back is up against a wall and you had to have a joint/co-sponsor and you had no one else - it might be a good idea to look at a different co-sponsor if they're having to use the family home and possibly, family business to meet the minimum income requirements.

Timeline

Yes, I would think that a realators appraisal would also be considered... And I definetly agree that in this current comditions, unless you have no other options (finding another sponsor or your faterh having enough liquid assets) I would not get into the mess of "will they consider the house" determination... It may be rather difficult to convince a CO that your father will sell the roof over his head to support your husband???

I-130

Citizenship Process;

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.