I AM NOT THAT GUY

Barack Obama sees worst poll rating drop in 50 years

76 posts in this topic

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

I know it's unpopular in this thread but a bit of perspective might still be in order.

Finally, we should remember that the first 8 months do not tell the future. Clinton ranks dead last as of September 1, yet finishes with one of the highest approval ratings, and maintained high approval for longer than anyone since Eisenhower. Nor could GW Bush's approval on 9/1 say anything about his approval following 9/11.

At the same time, you guys have at it and party away for he who laughs last laughs longest.

Guys relax. It's the worst financial crisis since the depression.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I know it's unpopular in this thread but a bit of perspective might still be in order.

Finally, we should remember that the first 8 months do not tell the future. Clinton ranks dead last as of September 1, yet finishes with one of the highest approval ratings, and maintained high approval for longer than anyone since Eisenhower. Nor could GW Bush's approval on 9/1 say anything about his approval following 9/11.

At the same time, you guys have at it and party away for he who laughs last laughs longest.

Who needs context, perspective, and fact in the face of goodtimes and lunacy? :whistle:

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

This chart offers one important corrective to a widely repeated myth: Obama was not "wildly popular" at the start of his term. This exaggeration is repeated so often that it is becoming a universal "truth". But the fact is Obama entered office with strong support, but not so strong as that of Eisenhower or Kennedy, and after a couple of weeks his approval was above average but only by a bit. It is this myth that adds to the drama of his current fall, but the myth exaggerates how high in the pantheon Obama first stood.

:rofl:

The second useful perspective of this chart is that much of the decline has come after 3.5 months, or starting in May. The decline since then has been quite steady, dropping Obama from a shade above average at 3.5 months, to a next-to-last place now. This second slide should be far more worrisome to the White House than the initial polls or the net change from first to last poll.

See, this guy gets it too. :whistle:

The ratings are understandable. The economy hasn't noticeably improved and health care is still a mess. Whether they mean anything beyond that is a different question.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline
The ratings are understandable. The economy hasn't noticeably improved and health care is still a mess. Whether they mean anything beyond that is a different question.

Let 'em celebrate now. Something somehow smells of sour grapes to come.

That I don't know. I haven't heard a reasonable explanation of how to get out of the financial crisis, nor how to avert the next one. I also can't see how the current health care bill is going to make much of a difference as it stands. Seems to me like everyone is getting stuck in Washington mud.

Let it be said, it's easier being on the opposition slinging mud, and that's what they are doing in spades, but I would be more impressed if they actually provided some kind of alternative, and a credible one would be fabulous.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Personally, I think some people should stock up on Kleenex. They'll need it.

That I don't know. I haven't heard a reasonable explanation of how to get out of the financial crisis, nor how to avert the next one. I also can't see how the current health care bill is going to make much of a difference as it stands.

Agreed, if there is no solid health care bill coming out of the Congress - not this watered down make the insurance companies fatter ####### that's being considered in the Senate - and if there isn't some good news on the employment numbers and if Afghanistan is allowed to become a full blown Vietnam II prior to the 2010 elections, then there will be some problem.

I don't understand the current US thinking on Afghanistan. The best thing they can do is support Afghani political foundations and help train their police and armed forces so that they can take care of their own problems. Engaging in a prolonged conflict with the Taliban is a waste of, well everything.

Timeline
That I don't know. I haven't heard a reasonable explanation of how to get out of the financial crisis, nor how to avert the next one. I also can't see how the current health care bill is going to make much of a difference as it stands. Seems to me like everyone is getting stuck in Washington mud.

Let it be said, it's easier being on the opposition slinging mud, and that's what they are doing in spades, but I would be more impressed if they actually provided some kind of alternative, and a credible one would be fabulous.

If some kind of new opposition leadership actually came up with a workable alternative to what they're opposing like screeching cats in a catfight... they might even improve the perception (think polls) that places them consistently worse than even Obama's 'bad' ratings. This of course meets selective memory loss and hence... becomes same old same old.

If we follow that pattern, Obama still wins next time around so I'm not too concerned. And things WILL improve for the economy and very much likely, him... so hence I think this rejoicing will turn to more whining.

Personally, I think some people should stock up on Kleenex. They'll need it.

Like some did with ammo. :lol: