civis

Help - Please. Travel pending oath (or during oath week)

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My boss has scheduled an international trip for the week of Nov. 15 to Nov. 22. I have told him repeatedly that I might not be able to travel and that I do not know my oath date yet. He does not care and does not understand that if I get naturalized, I cannot use my foreign passport to travel from/to the U.S.. I need everybody's suggestion and/or experience as to how to manage this travel pending my oath. In fact, it is possible that my oath would be scheduled either immediately before or during that specific week. My interview is on Oct. 27 in Fed Plaza in Manhattan.

More specifically:

1. Do they do same date oath? My understanding is that it is uncommon in New York. Anybody can confirm.

2. Assuming that I am approved, can I ask the IO for an oath date either before Nov 15 or after Nov 22?

3. Assuming that my oath is scheduled in that specific week, can I move it? If so, can it be easily done and without consequences?

4. If I get an oath date about a week in advance of my scheduled trip, would it still be possible to apply for a same-day passport?

Any answer or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

My boss has scheduled an international trip for the week of Nov. 15 to Nov. 22. I have told him repeatedly that I might not be able to travel and that I do not know my oath date yet. He does not care and does not understand that if I get naturalized, I cannot use my foreign passport to travel from/to the U.S.. I need everybody's suggestion and/or experience as to how to manage this travel pending my oath. In fact, it is possible that my oath would be scheduled either immediately before or during that specific week. My interview is on Oct. 27 in Fed Plaza in Manhattan.

More specifically:

1. Do they do same date oath? My understanding is that it is uncommon in New York. Anybody can confirm.

2. Assuming that I am approved, can I ask the IO for an oath date either before Nov 15 or after Nov 22?

3. Assuming that my oath is scheduled in that specific week, can I move it? If so, can it be easily done and without consequences?

4. If I get an oath date about a week in advance of my scheduled trip, would it still be possible to apply for a same-day passport?

Thank you

I forgot to add that I cannot afford to loose my job. Working in a small service company, my boss is also the owner. He is not particularly empatic and has easily "laid off" or "let go" employees. I would face some consequences, if I refuse to travel.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Civis,

In answer to your questions:

1) I don't know about NYC specifically about same day oaths. Any other VJers can help with that? What I do know is that if you have an interview scheduled in the morning, and your local office does same day oaths, then you could possibly get a same day oath in the afternoon.

2) It doesn't hurt to ask, and if the IO is nice enough, they might even agree to such. But don't be surprised if they say no either.

3) Yes, you can postpone your oath (other VJers have done it too). As long as you don't mind a delay in having your oath later than expected, and aren't in too much of a hurry to get citizenship, then you're fine there. Be prepared though, that the wait for a new oath date could be quick, or it could be a lot later. As long as you're willing to take this risk, especially more so since you've come so far in the process...

4) I don't know about same day passports, but more likely than not, for "emergencies" you can apply for such in-person at a passport office. Not sure if business trips are considered emergencies though. But be sure to have all your travels plans for them, in case they ask. From what I've read, I've heart that there is "expedited" processing though, if you want to pay the extra fee for it, and you get your passport in a week or so.

Alternatively, can you ask your boss to postpone your trip until you have your passport, if need be? Try explaining it to them again, and this time, provide information (maybe you can find such online) that you cannot travel out of the USA as a US Citizen without a passport. I'm sure if your boss is understanding, they might be able to accomidate for such. After all, they don't want you in legal trouble as an employee of their workplace, right?

Hope this helps. Good luck on your interview, oath, and travels too.

Ant

More specifically:

Thank you

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Hi Civis,

In answer to your questions:

1) I don't know about NYC specifically about same day oaths. Any other VJers can help with that? What I do know is that if you have an interview scheduled in the morning, and your local office does same day oaths, then you could possibly get a same day oath in the afternoon.

2) It doesn't hurt to ask, and if the IO is nice enough, they might even agree to such. But don't be surprised if they say no either.

3) Yes, you can postpone your oath (other VJers have done it too). As long as you don't mind a delay in having your oath later than expected, and aren't in too much of a hurry to get citizenship, then you're fine there. Be prepared though, that the wait for a new oath date could be quick, or it could be a lot later. As long as you're willing to take this risk, especially more so since you've come so far in the process...

4) I don't know about same day passports, but more likely than not, for "emergencies" you can apply for such in-person at a passport office. Not sure if business trips are considered emergencies though. But be sure to have all your travels plans for them, in case they ask. From what I've read, I've heart that there is "expedited" processing though, if you want to pay the extra fee for it, and you get your passport in a week or so.

Alternatively, can you ask your boss to postpone your trip until you have your passport, if need be? Try explaining it to them again, and this time, provide information (maybe you can find such online) that you cannot travel out of the USA as a US Citizen without a passport. I'm sure if your boss is understanding, they might be able to accomidate for such. After all, they don't want you in legal trouble as an employee of their workplace, right?

Hope this helps. Good luck on your interview, oath, and travels too.

Ant

More specifically:

Thank you

Thank you Ant+D+A. I appreciate your time and I am glad that somewhere I could find some empathy. I have already explained the situation to my boss and laid down the options. First, he complained that I am not using a lawyer (can't really afford one on my salary) and then implied that it can't be that they are so rigid, and perhaps I am doing something wrong. His request is to postpone the oath. If anything, I know that the time has come for me to look for a better job. I could not believe his stubbornness and lack of empathy.

Concerning the postponement, based on the horror stories around, what type of delay am I risking at worse: days, months?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Firstly, I sympathise :-)

Tell your employer you can definitely make the trip - whether you choose to make alternative career plans for the future is up to you.

In your situation, I would go to the interview, and at it's conclusion request an oath date that suits your travel plans - the IO may or may not be able to help you.

Wait until you get your oath letter, if it is before 10th November, go to your oath. But, as soon as you get the interview letter, make an appointment for the day following your oath at a passport office (an actual office where they issue passports, not a post office or similar that just collects applications.)

Go to your oath, then passport office the next day with travel documents, and they can issue a passport within a day or two. - your boss will simply need to give you a few hours off, to get this done.

IF your oath date is during travel period (or the day or two preceeding it) follow the directions on your oath letter and request to have it rescheduled. Anticipate a one or two month delay.

If your oath letter has not arrived before you leave for your trip, if possible, have someone checking your mail for it during your absence. Even if you simply don't turn up at your oath, without notifying in advance, you can still reschedule.

Overall, don't panic, since you have no immediate urgency for your citizenship, you can definitely work this out without having to resign.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Oaths in Manhattan are on Friday mornings.

I'm in a similar sitiuation. My interview is on Nov 10 and my wife and I are going to vacation in Egypt and Jordan on Friday Nov 20.

It might be very possible that my oath is on Friday Nov 20. That would be a problem, even though my flight leaves at 11pm.

By the time I'm done with the oath, I don't think I would be able to obtain a same-day passport. That's possible, but you have to be at the passport agency very early in the morning, around 7am.

Should my interview be smooth, and IO asks me to wait for my OL, I'll tell him to either take it on Fri the 13th :) or at least on Thu Nov 19 in Brooklyn (they have oaths on Thursdays in Brooklyn). Otherwise sometimes in December once I'm back.

Worse comes to worse, I'll leave with my italian passport and certificate of naturalization and apply for a US passport at the US Embassy in Cairo. If that doesn't work, I'll just come back with my italian passport and certificate of naturalization and they will see that I got naturalized the very same day as I was leaving.

One thing is for sure: I will NOT cancel or postpone my vacation for that.

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

Timeline

Also, I'd like to add that a co-worker of mine had his interview in Connecticut on Sep 27.

He was offered oath of Oct 2, he refused because he had a meeting, then on Oct 9, he refused again because he was traveling for work and he finally accepted Oct 16. He took the oath last Friday as matter of facts.

It all depends on the IO you have and how flexible he/she is.

I suggest that if you see the "approved" stamp or a recommended for approval N-652, you ask the IO for a specific date or at least not to be scheduled during your travel. I don't see why he/she shouldn't accommodate you.

AOS:

I-751

N-400

Also, I'd like to add that a co-worker of mine had his interview in Connecticut on Sep 27.

He was offered oath of Oct 2, he refused because he had a meeting, then on Oct 9, he refused again because he was traveling for work and he finally accepted Oct 16. He took the oath last Friday as matter of facts.

It all depends on the IO you have and how flexible he/she is.

I suggest that if you see the "approved" stamp or a recommended for approval N-652, you ask the IO for a specific date or at least not to be scheduled during your travel. I don't see why he/she shouldn't accommodate you.

I would like to thank everybody for the great and valid suggestions. I will keep you guys updated about everything. After the interview, I will be able to know at least if I am recommended for approval. Concerning the oath date, I will play by ear and, will ask the IO only if he/she looks nice and the interview flows smoothly.

Timeline
Worse comes to worse, I'll leave with my italian passport and certificate of naturalization and apply for a US passport at the US Embassy in Cairo. If that doesn't work, I'll just come back with my italian passport and certificate of naturalization and they will see that I got naturalized the very same day as I was leaving.

You do realise that a US citizen leaving the US without a passport is breaking the law? I totally understand not wanting to cancel or postpone your vacation for the oath ceremony. However, I would strongly suggest your trip will go much more smoothly if you postpone the oath until after you return (unless you can get it done on the 13th)

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

One thing I know for certain, you will not get your Oath Ceremony before you have completed your 3years (or 5 years) of residency.

Had my wife already completed her 3 years at the time of the interview, we would have been going back the next Friday.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Timeline

You do realise that a US citizen leaving the US without a passport is breaking the law? I totally understand not wanting to cancel or postpone your vacation for the oath ceremony. However, I would strongly suggest your trip will go much more smoothly if you postpone the oath until after you return (unless you can get it done on the 13th)

I know that, but what am I supposed to do? I know same-day passports are possible if you go very early in the morning. But even if my oath is at 8am, by the time I'm done it would be 11 at least.

On top of that, I have to stop in Italy for work for 1 week on my way back.

I'm ok with postponing the oath, as long as I can "negotiate" my oath date with the IO. I'll bring my proof of travel and I hope he/she will be understanding. I can even go take the oath anywhere else in NYC or Long Island or Westchester before the 20th.

Let's see.

I know that a friend of mine who lives in London got her US citizenship flying back and forth (her husband was in the military) and she flew back to London just with her certificate of natz. When she came back to the US, she explained the IO and he just told her to get a passport asap.

AOS:

I-751

N-400

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You always have the option to delay your Oath until you get back. Better that than getting sent to secondary inspection once you get back from your trip.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Timeline

You do realise that a US citizen leaving the US without a passport is breaking the law?

I know that, but what am I supposed to do?

postpone the oath until after you return (unless you can get it done on the 13th)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should be able to postpone your oath until you return. At the interview (after you have been approved) just tell the IO that you have travel requirements for work that you can't miss and ask to have your oath scheduled for after the date of your return. It should not be a problem.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

You should be able to postpone your oath until you return. At the interview (after you have been approved) just tell the IO that you have travel requirements for work that you can't miss and ask to have your oath scheduled for after the date of your return. It should not be a problem.

I thought that you guys might want to know how the story ended. I had my naturalization interview yesterday. It was very smooth and probably lasted about 15 minutes. After I was approved, the IO, a nice and very professional gentleman, handed me a paper stating that I had been approved and said that I should expect my naturalization date to be in about two weeks. Guess what, in two weeks I'd be traveling abroad, as predicted. I had to take a decision. I asked the IO to postpone the oath date after my trip (Nov. 22 or later). He made a note in the file and told me not to worry, that the oath would be after that date.

There are some pros and cons to my decision to postpone. The pro is that the date for the nat. ceremony would not interfere with my upcoming travel plans. The big con is that I did not get an oath letter on site, but have to wait for it in the mail. Someone was otherwise giving oath letters to approved applicants, who had not requested to postpone the swearing-in date.

Feel free to send me your comments. I am a bit concerned that they might delay my letter as my case is now falling outside of the ordinary process. I would have preferred to get the oath letter. The only thing in my possession is a standard form with the details of the IO and a mark where it says approved. Should I be concerned? What should I do if I do not get the letter in the near future?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.