sweetpeacanuck

Marrying in the US on a whim do I need to return to Canada.

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Oh thats what you meant!......you wrote "USCIS can impose a ban from entering the USCIS" I was like you can't ban someone from USCIS its an organization not a place.

Anyway, yes technically an adjudicator can deny the AOS for any reason, but he does have guidelines he must follow to back a case up later on. But if its denied on the basis of fraud and he has no clear evidence of fraud then you know its going to get taken care of in appeal.

I've never seen a post here in the past 2 years or british expat in the last 3 where an IO demanded proof of intent. In fact I've only seen two incidents (both on british expat) where fraud was found and it was because the people had clear evidence against them.

I do have question though. Does adjusting status via the VWP or whatever Canadians truly preclude the right to an appeal?

Yes, ban from USA, not USCIS. They don't deny based on fraud generally. They deny based on ineligibility due to having entered with intent to immigrate. They generally assume ignorance instead of fraudulent intent but the result is still a denial of AOS.

VWP, yes for Canadians I'm not sure.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Yes but they are ineligible due to fraud take my point?

I get your point. Sometimes it's fraud and sometimes it's ignorance of the law. They generally treat is as ignorance and simply deny AOS. That's bad enough a result to necessitate a readiness to take the burden of proof upon yourself. The adjudicator doesn't need much in the way of evidence. The applicant needs a plausible and at least factually true story and evidence to back it up or they are taking a great risk of denial and the associated consequences. There need not be any finding of "fraud" to result in significant consequences.

Look, it's either one way or the other. The adjudicator needs "evidence of fraud" or they don't. They don't. Since they don't, the applicant had better have some to support their case. That's where the statement, "The burden of proof is on the applicant." comes from.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Oh thats what you meant!......you wrote "USCIS can impose a ban from entering the USCIS" I was like you can't ban someone from USCIS its an organization not a place.

Anyway, yes technically an adjudicator can deny the AOS for any reason, but he does have guidelines he must follow to back a case up later on. But if its denied on the basis of fraud and he has no clear evidence of fraud then you know its going to get taken care of in appeal.

I've never seen a post here in the past 2 years or british expat in the last 3 where an IO demanded proof of intent. In fact I've only seen two incidents (both on british expat) where fraud was found and it was because the people had clear evidence against them.

I do have question though. Does adjusting status via the VWP or whatever Canadians truly preclude the right to an appeal?

Yes, ban from USA, not USCIS. They don't deny based on fraud generally. They deny based on ineligibility due to having entered with intent to immigrate. They generally assume ignorance instead of fraudulent intent but the result is still a denial of AOS.

VWP, yes for Canadians I'm not sure.

I don't think you are correct. In fact, there is case law that says otherwise. As long as they did not misrepresent themselves at the border, there should be no problem, regardless of their intent as long as the immigrant is an immediate relative of the USC.

Edited by rsn

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I think maybe I haven't explained things clearly? Consider POE and AOS two completely separate things if you come by way of a tourist visa you are eligible to adjust because A. Your in the US and B. Your married to a USC. Thats what they look at during AOS.

Now the only place that fraud actually can occur is at the POE in that the person lies upon inspection. (Ironically if you tell them at the POE you are getting married and you intend to immigrate AND they let you through then you committed no fraud and can adjust.) So its fraud that makes a person ineligible not intent.

Therefore to say "prove your intent at AOS" your saying "prove you didn't lie when you entered". I'm sorry but thats not how things work. You were inspected, they let you in so unless some evidence surfaces that shows you lied then thats all there is to it.

Not to mention its near impossible to prove that someone didn't lie (polygraph maybe...) but it is very possible to prove someone did with cold hard facts.

Timeline
I think maybe I haven't explained things clearly? Consider POE and AOS two completely separate things if you come by way of a tourist visa you are eligible to adjust because A. Your in the US and B. Your married to a USC. Thats what they look at during AOS.

Now the only place that fraud actually can occur is at the POE in that the person lies upon inspection. (Ironically if you tell them at the POE you are getting married and you intend to immigrate AND they let you through then you committed no fraud and can adjust.) So its fraud that makes a person ineligible not intent.

Therefore to say "prove your intent at AOS" your saying "prove you didn't lie when you entered". I'm sorry but thats not how things work. You were inspected, they let you in so unless some evidence surfaces that shows you lied then thats all there is to it.

Not to mention its near impossible to prove that someone didn't lie (polygraph maybe...) but it is very possible to prove someone did with cold hard facts.

:thumbs:

Timeline

We'll just have to disagree then. It doesn't work that way.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

This was discussed in detail in this thread as well. Case law examples were also cited.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

This was discussed in detail in this thread as well. Case law examples were also cited.

I've been reading this thread with great interest. Specially because, in my case, it's just about impossible to prove that I had no intent to marry when I came (I didn't and did not lie at the PoE). I would love to have something smart to say, but I'm just not that knowledgeable about this area, but I do remember the post and I think it was "decided" that they do not generally ask/care about intent. Most likely because it's hard to prove for both side. They go with the fact that, if the person got trough the border, they didn't lie... Or at least, the CBP doesn't believe they did.

Now, you got Kittyfang all stressed out. Can I get someone to calm me down, or do I need to write 14 different posts? :rofl:

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

Timeline

I've been reading this thread with great interest. Specially because, in my case, it's just about impossible to prove that I had no intent to marry when I came (I didn't and did not lie at the PoE). I would love to have something smart to say, but I'm just not that knowledgeable about this area, but I do remember the post and I think it was "decided" that they do not generally ask/care about intent. Most likely because it's hard to prove for both side. They go with the fact that, if the person got trough the border, they didn't lie... Or at least, the CBP doesn't believe they did.

Now, you got Kittyfang all stressed out. Can I get someone to calm me down, or do I need to write 14 different posts? :rofl:

I forgot to mention. I remember many people telling me that they were not asked any questions regarding intent, or if they did it was not very probing questions. But then again, our situations were the same and different from the OP's.

Adjustment of Status

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

Despite the bashing your going to receive because of your situation, people do find themselves in your situation. Myself included! My now husband came here to the US in Aug 2008, we were meeting for the first time. He was here about 7 weeks when he proposed & I accepted. We got married Nov 2008. We gathered all the necessary documents from his country & were finally able to file Feb 2009. His greencard was approved July 2009 :)

If you had no intent of marrying when you entered (which in my opinion, I think they sort of take your intent to be determined at you POE), you file the I-485, I-130, I-765, I-864 (& I-864A if needed), G-325A, I-693 & I-131, can prove you have a legitimate marriage, & are prepared for the fees roughly $2000, you should be fine.

Much luck & happiness!

Kimberly Troth

Details

Met online Dec 2007

Started talking online (Xbox) 02/15/2008

Came to US to meet 08/29/2008 (return home date was 11/14/2008)

Got engaged 10/05/2008

Got married at sunset on the beach 11/01/2008

7fdc6d7397.png

I-130/765/485

02/27/2009 sent papers Usps to Chicago Lock Box

03/07/2009 received NOAs dated 03/04/09 (130 & 765 show online 485 does not)

03/13/2009 received biometrics appt notice for 03/27/2009

03/27/2009 biometrics appt @3pm (in & out in less than 20 minutes)

04/16/2009 Received pink notice of medical exam needed

04/17/2009 Had medical exam done by Civil Surgeon (have to return on Tuesday 04/21/2009 forResults)

04/24/2009 Papers delivered to Lees Summit (MSC) :o)

05/07/2009 Received email from CRIS that EAD card has been ordered & should arrive within 30 days

05/08/2009 Received email from CRIS that EAD Approval Notice was sent

05/09/2009 Received EAD card in mail YAAAAAY

05/12/2009 Applied for Social Security Card

05/15/2009 NOA received with I-485 interview date 07/20/2009

020b50f4b0.png

07/20/2009 AOS Interview in Orlando FL

07/21/2009 Email received " Card Production Ordered " YAAAAY 139 days!

07/24/2009 Welcome letter received! & Approval of I-130 also received! Yaaay

08/04/2009 Green Card received! Hoooraaaaay!!

Timeline
Despite the bashing your going to receive because of your situation, people do find themselves in your situation. Myself included! My now husband came here to the US in Aug 2008, we were meeting for the first time. He was here about 7 weeks when he proposed & I accepted. We got married Nov 2008. We gathered all the necessary documents from his country & were finally able to file Feb 2009. His greencard was approved July 2009 :)

If you had no intent of marrying when you entered (which in my opinion, I think they sort of take your intent to be determined at you POE), you file the I-485, I-130, I-765, I-864 (& I-864A if needed), G-325A, I-693 & I-131, can prove you have a legitimate marriage, & are prepared for the fees roughly $2000, you should be fine.

Much luck & happiness!

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is true that I get bashed a lot. I do understand why.

As for the intent issue, I think this sentence: "I think they sort of take your intent to be determined at you POE" is the best example. If the CBP lets you trough, it's because he believes what you're telling him. Why would USCIS go back and suddenly doubt that?... Maybe if you tell them "Oh, I totally was coming over to marry and I totally lied to the CBP"... I won't be doing that!

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.