hudons

Learning new spellings.... Checks, not cheques OK?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On a debit card, even if paying through the credit option, there is no "balance" as it comes directly out of your bank account no matter what.

Credit cards are credit cards are credit cards no matter where in the world you are.

Since there's no "balance", does it still count towards building a credit rating (where it just comes out of your account automatically)?

IMO, no.

If you are looking to build credit, look into getting SECURED credit card. THOSE are reported on, you betcha !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I don't think so.

I have accidentally hit the credit button a few times and it's gone through fine. And I still can't get a credit card.

Pain in the #######.

Anyone who can suggest a good starter credit card for a non-student? I've heard that Capital One sometimes give them out.....?

Adjusting from J1

06/15/07: Met at summer camp

06/02/08: Came back to camp, started dating

01/12/09: Returned to US for internship

05/02/09: Married in NH

10/12/09: I-130, I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox

10/14/09: AOS Package received in Chicago

10/21/09: Checks for I-130 and I-485 cashed

10/23/09: Received rejection notice for I-765 (Used outdated version of form, duh)

10/24/09: Received NOAs for I-130 and I-485

10/26/09: Resent updated I-765

10/28/09: RFE for I-485

11/02/09: Received RFE letter for I-864

11/05/09: Sent RFE back and received Biometrics appointment for 11/19 (I-485)

11/09/09: Received NOA for I-765 (finally!)

11/11/09: RFE received, case resumed

11/19/09: Biometrics done for I-485 (and I-765 without appointment letter!) - both touched PM

12/03/09: EAD card production ordered

12/07/09: EAD received

12/10/09: Received an e-mail saying I-765 was approved.... a little late!

12/11/09: Received interview appointment letter: January 11th, 8:40am

01/11/10: APPROVED at interview!

01/19/10: Green card received (It's not green.)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
On a debit card, even if paying through the credit option, there is no "balance" as it comes directly out of your bank account no matter what.

Credit cards are credit cards are credit cards no matter where in the world you are.

Since there's no "balance", does it still count towards building a credit rating (where it just comes out of your account automatically)?

IMO, no.

If you are looking to build credit, look into getting SECURED credit card. THOSE are reported on, you betcha !

A debit card does NOTHING to your credit score.

Agree with the previous poster up to a point. Stick to the mainstream such as Bank of America, Citi, Wells Fargo and even US Bank. They all offer secured cards up to $10,000 credit limit.

Avoid the sub prime cards such as New millenium etc. The fees are horrible and terms even worse. They are not a good idea.Orchard by HSBC is a bit of an in the middle type card.

Depending on the bank after 12 - 18 months they become unsecured cards and your CD is returned unless you decide you werent using it anyways so carry on earning the interest.

Edited by familyguy
lolfs.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Hudons and Everyone,

Oh yeah, I understand what you mean about getting used to American English...

I'm a Canadian, and have used Canadian English (which is more like British/UK English) in the past. So to go from Canadian to American, in terms of spelling, grammar, metric/non metric system, etc....oh boy...So close these countries are, and yet so far apart in things like this!

Heck, it took me a year or more just to write the date in the "american way"...mm/dd/yyyy and not dd/mm/yyyy

Lol..And to me words are still spelt with "re", "our", "cheques", "grey", "zed".....Not my fault the Americans can't spell and pronounce it right!

Yup, the English/British had it right in the first place...So why mess with it?

Lol...And yes, I have my "Oxford English Dictionary" handy too..In case anyone else disputes about it here in the USA....

So confusing, indeed! Yet it makes for interesting conversation and a very 'unique" writing style......

Oh yeah, I totally empathize with you here...I love America (and am about to be a US Citizen too..go figure)...but boy, do I hate American spelling/grammar!

Lol...When my son is old enough, I'll have to teach them both British/Canadian English and American English too....yikes.....

Hope your adjustment to American English language goes well, and good luck with your immigration journeys too.

Ant

OK, I have embraced American culture. I pronounce most of my Ts as Ds. I have adapted my accent to such that I can be understood on the phone. I have stopped saying 'Hiya' and genuinely wanting to know how people are when I ask "How are you?"

The main problem I have experienced, working in an office and frequently communicating via e-mail, is spelling.

It's so difficult to remember which words drop Us. 'Favourite' does, 'various' doesn't. Which words change S to Z: 'organisation' does, 'advertise' doesn't.

I'm 23 and I normally pride myself on my spelling. Now I feel like I didn't pay attention in school.

HELP!

I just need some empathy here. Surely I'm not the only one...

p.s - I really love America though. Everything but the spelling.

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Heck, it took me a year or more just to write the date in the "american way"...mm/dd/yyyy and not dd/mm/yyyy

The US Military uses "dd/mm/yyyy".

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

When a store asks you about "credit" or "debit" it has nothing to do with your account or money, and everything to do with how much they pay. Every time you use your card (debit or credit) the retailer pays a fee. If you chose "debit" you put in your pin number before the charge is approved. This costs the retailer less than if you chose "credit." AMEX has the highest fees (at least they did when I worked retail), which is why it is not accepted everywhere. It's a choice the retailer makes as to whether or not they want to pay the fees.

I mainly only used my debit card (though I had a credit card for emergencies) and I always chose "credit." The reason for this is because my bank charged an ATM withdrawl fee every time I used my pin. It didn't matter that I wasn't getting cash out or getting cash back from the transaction. You use the pin, you get charged.

Now that I've been in the UK a while, I'm completely use to using cash, so it's going to be an adjustment when we move back to the US. I think I'll try to continue using cash, but debit cards are just so much easier (when only one person is spending money, that is).

-Jenny

Our Timeline:

September 30, 2007 - I joined a country music website that he ran

March, 2008 - Started chatting online

October 15-27, 2008 - I came to the UK to visit, got engaged during surprise trip to Paris

February 14, 2009 - Married in Virginia

February 28, 2009 - Passport with new name arrived

March 3, 2009 - Biometrics appointment, Fed-Ex'd Spousal VISA package to courier

March 5, 2009 - Courier delivered to Embassy in LA

March 6, 2009 - VISA approved

March 7, 2009 - VISA in hand, bought airline ticket

March 8, 2009 - Arrived in U.K.

October 2009 - Decided to move family to the US

November 6, 2009 - Mailed I-130 to London

November 10, 2009 - NOA1

December 24, 2009 - NOA2

January 6, 2010 - Packet 3 received

January 13, 2010 - DS-2001 mailed

January 25, 2010 - Medicals completed

April 16, 2010 - Interview - It's a YES!

June 7, 2010 - Move to Virginia!

http://jennysadventuresinengland.blogspot.com

March 29, 2011 - Husband walked out on our marriage

April 29, 2011 - Husband moved himself and the children to Wyoming to be with the best woman from our wedding, who he'd only met the one time, at our wedding

December 14, 2011 - Divorce finalized

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yup - I know what you guys mean. I just have the standard English accent (no accent in my opinion!!!) and people here still find it difficult to understand certain words - especially when I ask for water!! Whether I pronounce the T or dont, people STILL can never understand! It drives me insane! The same goes for my name - Tamsin - people ALWAYS think I'm saying Tomsin .. and unless I imitate an American accent (which I refuse to do) then I dont think anyone will ever get it - I usually have to just spell it out and it sucks!

I noticed the whole check thing too - I hate checks .. and most banks you have to pay for them. Luckily hubs is in the military so we bank with USAA who is all online and therefore no longer use checks for anything and they have no fees for using other ATMS!

OUR K-1 VISA JOURNEY

K1 Application

12-01-2006 I-129F sent priority USPS to CSC ... the real journey begins! (Day 1)

12-06-2006 NOA1 (Day 4)

03-05-2007 NOA2 - YAY!! (Day 89))

05-04-2007 INTERVIEW!!!!!! - APPROVED! (Day 149)

05-10-2007 Visa received (Day 155)

05-17-2007 ARRIVED IN PHOENIX (Day 162)

05-25-2007 Applied SSN

06-04-2007 Received SSN in the mail

06-14-2007 Passed driving test and now have my license

07-12-2007 MARRIED

07-24-2007 Changed name with SSA

AOS

05-31-2007 Appointment with Civil Surgeon for I-693A

07-16-2007 AOS sent to Chicago (received 07-18) (Day 1)

07-27-2007 NOA1 date (received 8/1) (Day 9)

07-30-2007 Check cashed (Day 12)

08-14-2007 Biometrics (Day 28)

11-29-2007 INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!! (Day 131) APPROVED

12-11-2007 Greencard Received

ROC

09-01-2009 I-751 sent to VSC (received 09-03) (Day 1)

09-04-2009 NOA Date (received 09-14) (Day 4)

09-08-2009 Check Cashed (Day 8)

10-05-2009 Biometrics @ Jackson MS (received 09-24) (Day 35)

01-08-2010 10 Year Greencard approved

01-19-2010 10 Year Greencard received

glitterfy011155737dkj7.gif glitterfy011545702wxh7.gif

Fortnight is one that C probably had the most trouble with. Though after all this time I finally realised last night she had no idea when I meant when I said "10 to" doh!

Surprised at the widespread use of cheques/checks given the level abuse and theft, C had one or two recently (one stole out of her mailbox) and accepts it as an almost inevitability. Yet the use still persists. Anyway, good thing she's the one looking after the cash, I just give her all mine and she deals with the financial side so I will remain happily clueless :)

USCIS & NVC

05-04-09 - Married

09-05-09 - I130 Approved (CSC)

12-09-09 - Case Completed (NVC)

01-08-10 - Approved (LND)

01-20-10 - PoE PHL

I-751

01-10-12 - Filed I-751, VT Service Center

01-17-12 - NOA1

02-08-12 - Biometrics at Alexandria, Va

10-04-12 - RFE

11-16-12 - Sent additional evidence (5.5lbs of evidence!)

12-04-12 - Approved

12-10-12 - Card arrived

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
OK, I have embraced American culture. I pronounce most of my Ts as Ds. I have adapted my accent to such that I can be understood on the phone. I have stopped saying 'Hiya' and genuinely wanting to know how people are when I ask "How are you?"

The main problem I have experienced, working in an office and frequently communicating via e-mail, is spelling.

It's so difficult to remember which words drop Us. 'Favourite' does, 'various' doesn't. Which words change S to Z: 'organisation' does, 'advertise' doesn't.

I'm 23 and I normally pride myself on my spelling. Now I feel like I didn't pay attention in school.

HELP!

I just need some empathy here. Surely I'm not the only one...

p.s - I really love America though. Everything but the spelling.

I love watching BBC America shows and downloaded this cute show called Gavin and Stacey where I first heard Hiya. Also when I get emails from my future English SILTB she uses it as well in the greeting and I love it. To me just sounds so upbeat and positive.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, England

I-129F Sent : Jul 10, 2009, Fri (wonderful day); I-129F Recvd: Jul 11, 2009, Sat

Check being cashed: Jul 15, 2009, Wed (whoo hoo, in the process)

I-129F NOA1 : Jul 13, 2009 (date on letter); I-129F NOA1: July 20, 2009 (day letter actually arrived)

Victoria went to England: Aug 29 - Sep 7

I-129F RFE(s) : none, awesome; I-129F NOA2 : Sep 21, 2009

Craigy went to US: Oct 16 - Oct 24

NVC Left : Sep 25, 2009

Packet 3 Sent to Craigy: Oct 6, 2009 (per DOS), Oct 9, 2009 Craigy recvd; Sent out Nov 16; Eligible for Interview: Nov 25 (per DOS)

Victoria going to England: Dec 25 - Jan 4 Interview while Victoria is visiting Paul. Dec 29, 2009 8 am Success. Jan 3, 2009 Courier dropped off Passport with Visa

Craigy Enters US: March 31st

Marriage: May 1, 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.