16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Ok, I know this is probably covered somewhere but I have been looking and seem to find different answers everywhere. I have some questions:

When we apply for the Green Card we apply for the EAD as well right? Do we have to pay the extra $400 for the EAD or is that just automatically given if you apply for it?

Once we are married and we have the wedding certificate in had and have applied for the green card does my (husband) have to leave the country to wait until he gets the Green card? If not, what exactly proves that he is here legally? Also, about how long does it take to get the EAD after its applied for with the green card?

I would really appreciate any kind of feed back that I can get from people that have gone through this already. I know the info is out there somewhere but I need straight answers so please don't just tell me to go look elsewhere. I'm really kind of nervous about these things. Thanks!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok, I know this is probably covered somewhere but I have been looking and seem to find different answers everywhere. I have some questions:

When we apply for the Green Card we apply for the EAD as well right? Do we have to pay the extra $400 for the EAD or is that just automatically given if you apply for it?

When you apply for AOS (this includes work permit, green card app, and if you choose, advanced parole). The total cost for all of this is $1,010. It's an all inclusive app.

Once we are married and we have the wedding certificate in had and have applied for the green card does my (husband) have to leave the country to wait until he gets the Green card? If not, what exactly proves that he is here legally? Also, about how long does it take to get the EAD after its applied for with the green card?

He does not leave the country...if he does the USCIS will consider his AOS abandoned. He is here legally by virtue of the application on file with the USCIS. Takes around 90 days for the EAD to be approved.

I would really appreciate any kind of feed back that I can get from people that have gone through this already. I know the info is out there somewhere but I need straight answers so please don't just tell me to go look elsewhere. I'm really kind of nervous about these things. Thanks!

Also, read the guides...there is a wealth of information that will answer these questions and more. The Guides is at the top of the website. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

When we apply for the Green Card we apply for the EAD as well right? Do we have to pay the extra $400 for the EAD or is that just automatically given if you apply for it? green card and EAD have different forms, if you filled out the EAD form and sent it in along with your green card then yes, you applied for that as well, it is not automatic and the cost of Permanent Residency, EAD and AP is $1010

Once we are married and we have the wedding certificate in had and have applied for the green card does my (husband) have to leave the country to wait until he gets the Green card? If not, what exactly proves that he is here legally? Also, about how long does it take to get the EAD after its applied for with the green card? He does not need to leave the country, once you file I-485, you acknowledge that you have completed the requirement to marry within 90 days of arrival into the US, You should file for Permanent Residency, EAD and AP all together. After you file it takes about one ore two months to get EAD. green card might take another month or two after you get the EAD.

Looks like you just got your NOA2, you should do more reading about the AOS stage.

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Timeline

When we apply for the Green Card we apply for the EAD as well right? Do we have to pay the extra $400 for the EAD or is that just automatically given if you apply for it? green card and EAD have different forms, if you filled out the EAD form and sent it in along with your green card then yes, you applied for that as well, it is not automatic and the cost of Permanent Residency, EAD and AP is $1010

Once we are married and we have the wedding certificate in had and have applied for the green card does my (husband) have to leave the country to wait until he gets the Green card? If not, what exactly proves that he is here legally? Also, about how long does it take to get the EAD after its applied for with the green card? He does not need to leave the country, once you file I-485, you acknowledge that you have completed the requirement to marry within 90 days of arrival into the US, You should file for Permanent Residency, EAD and AP all together. After you file it takes about one ore two months to get EAD. green card might take another month or two after you get the EAD.

Looks like you just got your NOA2, you should do more reading about the AOS stage.

Actually, he has his visa, has a plane ticket for October 5th and we are getting married october 9th so we are just trying to figure out what we need to do after we get married. I'm just kind of #######-retentive about all this stuff and want to make sure we do everything right and get him to be able to work as soon as possible. Thanksfor the help.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Actually, he has his visa, has a plane ticket for October 5th and we are getting married october 9th so we are just trying to figure out what we need to do after we get married. I'm just kind of #######-retentive about all this stuff and want to make sure we do everything right and get him to be able to work as soon as possible. Thanksfor the help.

Read this and you'll understand what to do.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Slovakia
Timeline

Whats your husbands point of entry? Some POE (NY) give work authorization for 90 days (till K1 is valid). This is free. It is valid only for that 90 days, if your husband will not have regular EAD by that time, he has to stop working. This is just my opinion, but I think it is not his right to receive this 90 day work permit.

Then once you are married apply for AOS, EAD and AP. Total cost $1010. I recieved my work authorization card in mail 59 days after I mailed all paperwork to USCIS.

Whats your husbands point of entry? Some POE (NY) give work authorization for 90 days (till K1 is valid). This is free. It is valid only for that 90 days, if your husband will not have regular EAD by that time, he has to stop working. This is just my opinion, but I think it is not his right to receive this 90 day work permit.

Then once you are married apply for AOS, EAD and AP. Total cost $1010. I recieved my work authorization card in mail 59 days after I mailed all paperwork to USCIS.

Ignore this information it is outdated and incorrect when it comes to K1 visas.

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Timeline

Since when they do not do it anymore?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since last Spring when they changed the I-9 requirements for employers to use to verify an individual is work authorized. The work stamp is no longer recognized as a valid document. A K-1 needs to have an actual EAD card now in order to work and an EAD card based upon the K-1 status is only valid for the same length of time as the I-94 - which means it is often expired even before it is issued. An EAD applied for with the AOS is based upon the AOS status and is valid for a year.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
Since last Spring when they changed the I-9 requirements for employers to use to verify an individual is work authorized. The work stamp is no longer recognized as a valid document. A K-1 needs to have an actual EAD card now in order to work and an EAD card based upon the K-1 status is only valid for the same length of time as the I-94 - which means it is often expired even before it is issued. An EAD applied for with the AOS is based upon the AOS status and is valid for a year.

My bad, still worked back in may this year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

This is not valid for work. A k-1 is not a work visa and the stamp at JFK is not a work authorization unless in conjunction with a work visa. They gave it to our k-2 sons and they can't even get a SS card until after they had their green cards. Forget about it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

the I-9 form was changed 2-2-09 and they began enforcement April 15. The k-1 was never a valid work visa and the stamp was never valid for a k-1, however the wording of the I-9 was vague and the prohibition was not enforced. The wording has now been changed and the K-1 with stamp is no longer acceptable for the I-9 form.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

the I-9 form was changed 2-2-09 and they began enforcement April 15. The k-1 was never a valid work visa and the stamp was never valid for a k-1, however the wording of the I-9 was vague and the prohibition was not enforced. The wording has now been changed and the K-1 with stamp is no longer acceptable for the I-9 form.

Hi!

Just want to know because I will apply for AOS this end of the week. I still dont have ss#. i t best to apply after I get the my working permit

because in the form its says in the instruction alien not authorize to work and I-94 the only doc i Can use.

All help will be appreciated.

Miszy

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Last one I know of is a member of this forum, who was given her EAD stamp at JFK in Febrruary 2009. It was a perfectly valid EAD stamp with which she could work. As a K1 holder.

I-129F Sent: Aug 20th 2008

Interview Date: April 8th 2009, 10:30 - APPROVED!

K-1 Visa Received: April 9th 2009

POE: Aug 8th 2009, Minneapolis

Wedding: Aug 28th 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our I-129f was approved in 107 days from our NOA1 date.

Our I-129f was approved in 114 days from our filing date.

Our case spent 52 days being chewed by NVC.

Our interview took 224 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS, AP, EAD filed: Oct 15th 2009

Biometrics: Nov 24th 2009

AP received: Dec 14th 2009

EAD received: Dec 17th 2009

Green Card received: Dec 18th 2009

http://www.badgerella.com/forum

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

My husband's poe was at JFK and they did put a stamp on the back of his I-94 that says "work authorized until 12/5 (he entered on Oct 5)". Does this mean that he can work until december?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.