NiceGuy123

CR1/IR1 Interview Venue

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I got married in July 2009 in Pakistan. My wife is a US citizen. She's applying for I-130 petition. It will take 3-4 months and then I'll file the later application after getting the Visa Number.

I have a confusion about Interview venue. I married in Pakistan but I used to live outside Pakistan for studies since last 3 years. I consult a lawyer in US and he said I must go back to Pakistan for interview. So, I wanted to know where my interview will be held? Pakistan or Outside. would it be possible to change the venue from home country to the country of residence?

need a quick and detailed reply..

Thanks.

From the State Department website:

National Visa Center (NVC) Sends Petition To Post

After the USCIS approves the I-129F, it sends it to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC sends the petition to the embassy or consulate in the country where the marriage took place. If your marriage took place in the United States, the NVC sends the petition to the embassy or consulate that issues visas in the country of your spouse's nationality. If your marriage took place in a country that does not have an American embassy, or the embassy does not issue visas, the NVC sends the petition to the embassy or consulate that normally processes visas for citizens of that country. For example, if the marriage took place in Iran where the United States does not have an embassy, the petition would be sent to Turkey.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

After the USCIS approves the I-129F, it sends it to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC sends the petition to the embassy or consulate in the country where the marriage took place. If your marriage took place in the United States, the NVC sends the petition to the embassy or consulate that issues visas in the country of your spouse's nationality. If your marriage took place in a country that does not have an American embassy, or the embassy does not issue visas, the NVC sends the petition to the embassy or consulate that normally processes visas for citizens of that country. For example, if the marriage took place in Iran where the United States does not have an embassy, the petition would be sent to Turkey.

:thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This post refers to the I-129F - IR1/CR1 visa applicants do not file and I-129F.

Timeline

Also, this question doesn't come up often, but from what I have read the whole 'where you were married' rule does not apply to IR1/CR1 applicants. I've seen these applicants switch embassies, from Canada to Ireland and from Korea to Canada.

OP, I would check with your nearest consulate for clarification - be sure to let them know that you have applied for a CR1 or IR1 visa and that you would like your interview to be held there.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Timeline
Also, this question doesn't come up often, but from what I have read the whole 'where you were married' rule does not apply to IR1/CR1 applicants. I've seen these applicants switch embassies, from Canada to Ireland and from Korea to Canada.

OP, I would check with your nearest consulate for clarification - be sure to let them know that you have applied for a CR1 or IR1 visa and that you would like your interview to be held there.

I contacted to the US embassy Korea where I'm living now and they replied:

Even though she is not eligible to file the petition in Korea, you can still have your visa interview in Korea if you are reside in Korea. When she files the I-130 in the U.S., she can request the CIS in the U.S. to assign your case to Seoul.

Timeline

I contacted to the US embassy Korea where I'm living now and they replied:

Even though she is not eligible to file the petition in Korea, you can still have your visa interview in Korea if you are reside in Korea. When she files the I-130 in the U.S., she can request the CIS in the U.S. to assign your case to Seoul.

:thumbs:

I got married in July 2009 in Pakistan. My wife is a US citizen. She's applying for I-130 petition. It will take 3-4 months and then I'll file the later application after getting the Visa Number.

I have a confusion about Interview venue. I married in Pakistan but I used to live outside Pakistan for studies since last 3 years. I consult a lawyer in US and he said I must go back to Pakistan for interview. So, I wanted to know where my interview will be held? Pakistan or Outside. would it be possible to change the venue from home country to the country of residence?

Thanks.

I was married in the Philippines but I've been living in Saudi Arabia since 2001, since until now I am staying in Saudi, my interview will be done here.

Fiance Visa cannot be process outside the country of origin.

Dec 15,2009 - Assigned interview date on January 24,2010!!

Jan. 24, 2010 - Interview!! Approved

Jan. 28, 2010 - VISA received

Mar. 03,2010 - POE, New York (JFK)

Apr. 12,2010- CA ID

May 20,2010- CA Driving License

May, 25,2010-Wife told me that she is pregnant ^_^

Jan.25,2011- Our daughter was born

Lee and Jen + Karenza

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks.

Go to the state dept website for your answers. Best of luck

JNR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.