irmonkey

wife legally visited in 1990 as a child, didn't receive an i-94 and overstayed

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but here's my situation.

I'm a U.S citizen and my wife is a British Citizen. In 1990 when she was 8 her mom and her went to Canada to visit relatives there and then drove to the U.S. to visit relatives here (we're not sure if they intended to just visit and stayed because they liked it or what). They drove in through the Toronto-Buffalo border crossing and their driver at the time was a Canadian citizen. Since the driver was Canadian he didn't need to fill out an I-94. I think she and her mom were supposed to fill one out but apparently the border post assumed the rest of the family was Canadian too and they were waved through without filling out an I-94 or getting their passport stamped. Her passport just has the entry stamp from when they entered Canada and a U.S. non-immigrant visa from when they were going to visit the U.S.

Fast forward to today - we're now married and are trying to figure out how to fix her status. I was hoping we could file an AOS since we're married and I'm a U.S. citizen, but without the I-94 or an entry stamp in her passport, I'm not sure how we can prove she entered legally. Is there any other way to prove she came legally? Since it was so long ago I don't think there's any record of her visit. The lawyer we talked to mentioned getting the relatives she visited to write affidavits saying she came to see them but wouldn't say how likely that was to work. I'm hoping that since she was a minor when she came and had no choice, and has now lived here for 19 years that there's something we can do.

It would be difficult (or impossible really) to prove she came here legally when in fact, she did not. (Legally would mean being inspected at a border which she was not apparently.)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I thought so too, but now another lawyer we talked to said the Canadian entry stamp and the U.S. visa is enough since they didn't normally do I-94s when you're driving over the border back then, especially if you were from a "friendly" country. I want to believe him but I'm not so sure.

It would be difficult (or impossible really) to prove she came here legally when in fact, she did not. (Legally would mean being inspected at a border which she was not apparently.)

I thought so too, but now another lawyer we talked to said the Canadian entry stamp and the U.S. visa is enough since they didn't normally do I-94s when you're driving over the border back then, especially if you were from a "friendly" country. I want to believe him but I'm not so sure.

Sounds like a stretch - although am sure stranger things have happened - we're talking about a 19+ year overstay though (and the overstay would be loosely based on whether the attorney could somehow show legal entry).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If she had been inspected she would have had an I 94. If it has been lost she can seek a copy. Sounds like they impersonated Canadians who have different arrangements.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I have both driven and flown into Canada many times over the years with absolutely no passport, didn't even want to see my drivers' license. We had plants up there, was no different than crossing the state line here. Only time I was stopped driving a station wagon, is when a border guard though he saw something he though was a live plant. That just took a second, but no ID of any kind. Thought it was kind of dumb as a thin line is just between the Canadian and USA border, what about a plant that is growing on the border?

Been meaning to look up a friend that married a Canadian girl, back a few years, immigration wasn't even talked about, I don't recall them doing anything about it. But I recently met a guy that new I married a gal from Venezuela with a short talk about immigration. He married a Canadian some years back and all I got out of him, he is up to his ears in immigration. We really didn't talk about his problems. Just want you to know, you are not the only one.

Seven years ago, I was so ignorant on this subject, thought I could just marry my wife and bring her here, I was in for a shock, but from experience, can tell you, even a couple of years ago, there was zero record on border crossings into or out of Canada, Canadians were coming down here just as freely. A couple of years ago, my wife and I were inches away from Canada, but she had a green card, we elected not even to cross as we don't know what in the hell is going on today. But we were in Toronto with her USA passport last year, was not much different than coming in from Russia during the cold war.

Timeline

His wife is not Canadian

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

That's the crux of the matter, isn't it? But I'm not so sure she entered without inspection. There's a legal definition, in 8 CFR 235.1 I believe, but am not sure, that if you present yourself to the officer, without committing fraud or misrepresentation, and the officer waves you through without asking the appropriate questions, then you may have satisfied your burden of establishing admissibility to the satisfaction of the officer.

But nobody should rely on my belief of that, because I could easily be wrong. You'd have to look up the appropriate case law, at least, and I'd want to rely on the advise of a qualified attorney.

Furthermore, there's the issue that, when applying for any sort of immigration benefit such as adjustment of status, the alien has the burden of proof via a preponderance of the evidence. The situation may be ambiguous enough that the government can't prove the alien entered without inspection, but the alien can't prove he/she didn't enter without inspection.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

That's the crux of the matter, isn't it? But I'm not so sure she entered without inspection. There's a legal definition, in 8 CFR 235.1 I believe, but am not sure, that if you present yourself to the officer, without committing fraud or misrepresentation, and the officer waves you through without asking the appropriate questions, then you may have satisfied your burden of establishing admissibility to the satisfaction of the officer.

But nobody should rely on my belief of that, because I could easily be wrong. You'd have to look up the appropriate case law, at least, and I'd want to rely on the advise of a qualified attorney.

Furthermore, there's the issue that, when applying for any sort of immigration benefit such as adjustment of status, the alien has the burden of proof via a preponderance of the evidence. The situation may be ambiguous enough that the government can't prove the alien entered without inspection, but the alien can't prove he/she didn't enter without inspection.

We are talking about a Canada to USA border crossing that I have done many times in a personal vehicle, at Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder Bay, Detroit, Buffalo. Thunder Bay was particularly relaxed, guard was propped on a stool, leaned back again the shed, large brim hat over her eyes, never looked at me nor my vehicle, just asked if I was carrying any firearms, alcohol, or plants, said no, go ahead. No ID's of any kind that were looked at, no ID to my citizenship, she just said go ahead. At Sault Ste. Marie, hundreds of cars were crossing without even being stopped depending on if he price of gas was cheaper in Canada or the USA. Niagara Falls was also extremely lax thousands of cars crossed back and forth. Only time I was every stopped was in Detroit, no ID checks, guess they though my bamboo fishing rod was a plant, but closer look said, that okay. Was never asked if I was a US or Canadian citizen, or even a terrorist, never even checked my drivers' license. That is the way it was and that way for years and years. Only recently did that change.

Also flew many times into Toronto, all they wanted to see was my plane ticket when we had plane tickets. We used Toronto as connection point last November, it was hell, full inspection, passports, long three hour waiting in line, damn near missed our connection. I never want to go to Toronto again, ever.

Just saying, in particular prior to 9/11, never was checked, ever crossing the USA/Canadian border, either way. Never was asked about my citizenship, nothing.

Filed: Timeline

She did come here legally and she was inspected at the border.

Yes, this is correct.

If she had been inspected she would have had an I 94. If it has been lost she can seek a copy. Sounds like they impersonated Canadians who have different arrangements.

Back then, the CBP officers did not ask for the credentials or the citizenship of each and every traveller in the vehicle. They just spoke with the driver and, if everything seemed okay, they passed you through. UK nationals were not given I-94's like they are now.

irmonkey, it sounds like the second lawyer knows what they're doing. I'm going to move your thread to the AOS From Other Visa forum. You'll find others in the same situation there. Good luck.

iagree.gif

Er, she was in a vehicle that crossed the Can/US border. She entered legally. That was her inspection.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Anyway, back to the original topic. It sounds as if you have a pretty strong case for her crossing the border legally. I doubt there are very many British Nationals who sneak across the border without being inspected. I just think it would be very rare. You might want to consult another lawyer.

If I were you though, I would go ahead with your applications. When asked for the I-94 on the form, just write none and add a letter of explanation. This was what I did, as I had also crossed a land border from Canada and had no I-94. Either you will be given a hard time about it or you won't. Your story sounds pretty valid, so I am doubting you will be given a hard time.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Timeline

To adjust in the US through marriage you have to heave entered legally, and even then there are some categories of legal entry that do not allow you to adjust.

It is up to you to substantiate that you qualify.

The issue here is that the OP can not.

So to adjust you would be totally reliant on someone overlooking the issue or giving you a break. That is not usual, usually you qualify or you do not.

BUT there is always a chance, nobody knows what the odds are.

You can improve your chances by submitting whatever circumstantial evidence you have to support your case.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If the OP's wife was canadian, it would be a lot easier for her to say that she entered the border but was not issued an I-94.... unfortunately thats not the case. Canadian entry stamp on her passport and US non immigrant visa does not automatically prove that she entered at the US/Canada border.

12/29/2007 Got married in the Philippines
03/28/2008 Got 10yr B1/B2 visa
04/12/2008 Arrived in US under B1/B2 visa
08/06/2008 Filed I-539 visa extension
10/23/2008 I-539 approved
02/23/2009 USC wife filed I-130 Chicago Lockbox
02/26/2009 I-130 delivered to Chicago Lockbox
02/27/2009 Medical exam I-693
03/01/2009 Negative result on TB skin test
03/04/2009 I-130 received by California Service Center
03/05/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/06/2009 Medical Exam form I-693 released by civil surgeon
03/07/2009 NOA Receipt Notice for I-130
03/14/2009 Mailed I-485, I-864, I-693, I-765 & I-131 thru USPS
03/16/2009 "The Package" delivered to Chicago Lockbox
03/16/2009 I-94 expired after 11 months since arrival
03/25/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/26/2009 Received NOA for I-485, I-765, I-131
03/28/2009 Received notice for Biometrics Appointment (April 9)
04/02/2009 Approval Notice for I-130 received
04/09/2009 Biometrics done
05/07/2009 Received Advance Parole Document
05/08/2009 Received Interview Letter
05/09/2009 Received EAD card
05/11/2009 Applied for SSN
05/16/2009 Received SSN
06/23/2009 AOS interview approved
06/27/2009 Welcome Letter received
07/05/2009 Green Card received
06/01/2011 Mailed I-751 Form
06/07/2011 Received NOA for I-751
07/11/2011 Biometrics Done

03/19/2015 Mailed N-400

03/30/2015 NOA Received

04/15/2015 Biometrics Appointment

06/23/2015 Interview

07/22/2015 Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.