zenki_james

tips on 1st time flight

28 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline
How exciting/scary! An adventure! I've been flying since I was young, but I still really like the whole process of the thing.

Let me start out by pointing out that many many people who are at the airport with you have never been to that airport before either. There will be many many signs because they know a lot of people have never been there before and need directions.

So, some step by step directions:

First: Packing.

There are only a couple of things which you MUST have to travel: Passport, K1 DO NOT OPEN Packet.

Technically, everything else is just extra. I also recommend that along side those two things you have a printed itinerary with all of your reservation codes, flight numbers, air lines and times.

Most of your things should go into your "checked" baggage. When you get to the airport, you'll give those bags to the airline agent (when you go up to the counter) and they'll take care of putting them on the plane - and such. For your first trip, you want to make things as easy as you can, so I would recommend that you take nothing larger than a back pack and purse for your carry on - you don't want to be dealing with wheeling things around, or anything which you need to hold in your hand. In your carry on bags, you'll want to put anything valuable that you are carrying (cell phone, laptop, jewelery etc), as well as a change or two of clothes (incase your checked is delayed) any medications you need to take and whatever entertainment you are bringing along. Be sure to read about restrictions on liquid - if you're bringing makeup or anything (I wouldn't recommend it - put it in your checked).

Second: Getting started!

For your first flight, make sure that you get to the airport early - For international travel, 2 hours or so is best. You want to make sure you plan for getting stuck in traffic, or long lines at the counter (say if the computers go down). When you walk into the departures area, you'll look for your airline and get in line to check in. You *can* do online check in, but if you wait and do it at the counter, at least you'd have an opportunity with some face time with an airline rep who you can ask some questions to.

Third: Security

Once you have dropped off your luggage and gotten your boarding pass (she'll also have given you your gate number) you'll go through security. You may want to ask to be pointed in the right direction in case your airport is large and there's more than one security station. I usually keep my passport and boarding pass out of my bag in my hand (and since you don't have anything else to carry if you followed suggestion 1, this shouldn't be an issue) until I get through security. Follow all the directions, and put all of your metal things in your bag to go through the scanner. It's easiest to just follow the directions and get through no hassle.

Fourth: Finding your gate....and waiting.

Now you're through security, you can put your boarding pass and passport away. Some airports are different - some have a departure lounge where you have to wait until your gate "opens" other airports you can go to your gate and there will be chairs there where you can sit. Find your gate (or the way to your gate) using the monitors and information boards which should be quite plentiful - verify your flight number, and gate number and see if it is on time, delayed or canceled. Once you've done all that, it's time to relax! Since you've gotten there early, there will likely be quite a lot of time before you need to get on the plane. I suggest walking around, as you'll soon be doing a lot of sitting! Since you'll be going international, there will probably be a lot of shops that you could go to. I waste a lot of time window shopping. :) Oh...and make sure to use the ladies' room - it's sooo inconvenient to do so on the plane, so minimize that!

Fifth: Getting on the plane! YAY!

When the time comes, (you should be given a boarding time) make your way to your gate. You'll want to get your boarding pass (and sometimes your passport too) out of your bag again. Take note of your seat number. (It's usually two numbers and a letter). They usually board the plane according to what row (the number part) of the plane you are in. When the call your row, you get in line. you'll show your boarding pass, and get some of it back. You'll walk down the jetway (it's a long, movable hall way from the building to the plane) and then onto the plane itself! Find your seat, and put your passport and boarding pass away again.

Sixth: Settling in and preparing for your flight.

I usually keep my things with me, rather than using the overhead bin - then if I decide I want anything, I can get to it easily. The area under the seat in front of you is yours to stuff things into. If you've stuck with a reasonably sized backpack and purse, it should all fit easily. While others are boarding, get situated. There's a bunch of things you can look at in the seat pocket in front of you - including the instructions for passengers - it goes over emergency things, as well as basics like how to put on your seat belt.

Seventh: The flight! Wee!!

In general, you'll just sit in your seat, with your seat belt on. For a long flight you'll probably need to get up once or twice to use the lavatory - take that opportunity to walk up and down the aisles a couple times. The flight attendants can help you with just about everything else. They bring you food and drinks and come back to take away the trash. Basic airplane ettiquette is to minimize how much you fidget around - so...don't be constantly putting your tray table up and down (the person in front of you can feel it) Don't be changing the angle of your seat back 5 billion times. It's not that I want you to be afraid to move - just be aware that literally every move you make affects at least 3 people - the person in front, behind and beside you. The best way to get through the flight is to try to sleep most of it away.

Eighth: Arrival! YAY!

When you land, you'll want to double check to make sure you have put all of your things back into your bag. Again, I would suggest having your papers out in your hand while you're sitting down and can do it calmly instead of trying to get things out while standing in line. Get out your passport and K1 DO NOT OPEN envelope, and keep them in your hand with your customs form and I94. Once you get off of the plane, basically follow the crowd. Read the POE reviews for a detail of what happens next - you'll get in a (probably long) line, and then go through immigration. Then you'll go and pick up your luggage, and pass customs. For me, customs has usually been a non-event. Turn over the customs form, and move on.

Ninth: Connections!

Gosh, I just flew through LAX in 2007, and I can't remember how it works -- I *think* you'll have go to outside and get on the interterminal bus - I don't think you can stay within security and change terminals at LAX I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong... It's also possible to walk, if you have time. Everything is by air line, so if you get on the bus and tell the driver which air line your connection is on, they will take you to the right spot. The process for the next flight will be a lot like the last one - you'll go to the counter for your air line, and again give the agent your checked bags (make sure they are tagged to go to CC), go through security, find your gate, wait, get on the plane. You'll be a pro at this by the time the trip is over!!

When you change flights for the second time, you will NOT need to deal with your checked luggage. It should be handled by the airline all the way to CC. When you get to Dallas, you just get off of the plane, then go and look for your next gate. Again, if it is the same air line, it is probably in the same terminal (though it could be some walk). Find your gate, and then stretch your legs (if you have time).

Tenth: Home coming!!

Once your last flight lands, again, follow the crowd out through security (signs will be leading you to baggage claim). Once you get past security, your Fiance should be waiting for you! YAY! TOGETHER AT LAST!!

Wow that was a lot....Well, I hope it helps. :) And, I hope you have as much fun traveling as I do! The key is always to leave yourself a lot of time - figure out as many things early as you can, and bring a good book. :)

Eleventh: Just forget the whole thing, kick back and relax! You'll be fine! Have a safe flight. :thumbs:

One other suggestion. Dress comfortably!! It will be a long flight so comfort is the key.

Also after Customs when you change to the domestic flight, you might have to remove your shoes while passing through the security check point, so something easy to slip off and on will reduce your time there.

And as stated before, ENJOY!!! :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
How exciting/scary! An adventure! I've been flying since I was young, but I still really like the whole process of the thing.

Let me start out by pointing out that many many people who are at the airport with you have never been to that airport before either. There will be many many signs because they know a lot of people have never been there before and need directions.

There are only a couple of things which you MUST have to travel: Passport, K1 DO NOT OPEN Packet.

Technically, everything else is just extra. I also recommend that along side those two things you have a printed itinerary with all of your reservation codes, flight numbers, air lines and times.

Most of your things should go into your "checked" baggage. When you get to the airport, you'll give those bags to the airline agent (when you go up to the counter) and they'll take care of putting them on the plane - and such. For your first trip, you want to make things as easy as you can, so I would recommend that you take nothing larger than a back pack and purse for your carry on - you don't want to be dealing with wheeling things around, or anything which you need to hold in your hand. In your carry on bags, you'll want to put anything valuable that you are carrying (cell phone, laptop, jewelery etc), as well as a change or two of clothes (incase your checked is delayed) any medications you need to take and whatever entertainment you are bringing along. Be sure to read about restrictions on liquid - if you're bringing makeup or anything (I wouldn't recommend it - put it in your checked).

For your first flight, make sure that you get to the airport early - For international travel, 2 hours or so is best. You want to make sure you plan for getting stuck in traffic, or long lines at the counter (say if the computers go down). When you walk into the departures area, you'll look for your airline and get in line to check in. You *can* do online check in, but if you wait and do it at the counter, at least you'd have an opportunity with some face time with an airline rep who you can ask some questions to.

Once you have dropped off your luggage and gotten your boarding pass (she'll also have given you your gate number) you'll go through security. You may want to ask to be pointed in the right direction in case your airport is large and there's more than one security station. I usually keep my passport and boarding pass out of my bag in my hand (and since you don't have anything else to carry if you followed suggestion 1, this shouldn't be an issue) until I get through security. Follow all the directions, and put all of your metal things in your bag to go through the scanner. It's easiest to just follow the directions and get through no hassle.

Now you're through security, you can put your boarding pass and passport away. Some airports are different - some have a departure lounge where you have to wait until your gate "opens" other airports you can go to your gate and there will be chairs there where you can sit. Find your gate (or the way to your gate) using the monitors and information boards which should be quite plentiful - verify your flight number, and gate number and see if it is on time, delayed or canceled. Once you've done all that, it's time to relax! Since you've gotten there early, there will likely be quite a lot of time before you need to get on the plane. I suggest walking around, as you'll soon be doing a lot of sitting! Since you'll be going international, there will probably be a lot of shops that you could go to. I waste a lot of time window shopping. :) Oh...and make sure to use the ladies' room - it's sooo inconvenient to do so on the plane, so minimize that!

When the time comes, (you should be given a boarding time) make your way to your gate. You'll want to get your boarding pass (and sometimes your passport too) out of your bag again. Take note of your seat number. (It's usually two numbers and a letter). They usually board the plane according to what row (the number part) of the plane you are in. When the call your row, you get in line. you'll show your boarding pass, and get some of it back. You'll walk down the jetway (it's a long, movable hall way from the building to the plane) and then onto the plane itself! Find your seat, and put your passport and boarding pass away again.

I usually keep my things with me, rather than using the overhead bin - then if I decide I want anything, I can get to it easily. The area under the seat in front of you is yours to stuff things into. If you've stuck with a reasonably sized backpack and purse, it should all fit easily. While others are boarding, get situated. There's a bunch of things you can look at in the seat pocket in front of you - including the instructions for passengers - it goes over emergency things, as well as basics like how to put on your seat belt.

In general, you'll just sit in your seat, with your seat belt on. For a long flight you'll probably need to get up once or twice to use the lavatory - take that opportunity to walk up and down the aisles a couple times. The flight attendants can help you with just about everything else. They bring you food and drinks and come back to take away the trash. Basic airplane ettiquette is to minimize how much you fidget around - so...don't be constantly putting your tray table up and down (the person in front of you can feel it) Don't be changing the angle of your seat back 5 billion times. It's not that I want you to be afraid to move - just be aware that literally every move you make affects at least 3 people - the person in front, behind and beside you. The best way to get through the flight is to try to sleep most of it away.

When you land, you'll want to double check to make sure you have put all of your things back into your bag. Again, I would suggest having your papers out in your hand while you're sitting down and can do it calmly instead of trying to get things out while standing in line. Get out your passport and K1 DO NOT OPEN envelope, and keep them in your hand with your customs form and I94. Once you get off of the plane, basically follow the crowd. Read the POE reviews for a detail of what happens next - you'll get in a (probably long) line, and then go through immigration. Then you'll go and pick up your luggage, and pass customs. For me, customs has usually been a non-event. Turn over the customs form, and move on.

Gosh, I just flew through LAX in 2007, and I can't remember how it works -- I *think* you'll have go to outside and get on the interterminal bus - I don't think you can stay within security and change terminals at LAX I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong... It's also possible to walk, if you have time. Everything is by air line, so if you get on the bus and tell the driver which air line your connection is on, they will take you to the right spot. The process for the next flight will be a lot like the last one - you'll go to the counter for your air line, and again give the agent your checked bags (make sure they are tagged to go to CC), go through security, find your gate, wait, get on the plane. You'll be a pro at this by the time the trip is over!!

When you change flights for the second time, you will NOT need to deal with your checked luggage. It should be handled by the airline all the way to CC. When you get to Dallas, you just get off of the plane, then go and look for your next gate. Again, if it is the same air line, it is probably in the same terminal (though it could be some walk). Find your gate, and then stretch your legs (if you have time).

Once your last flight lands, again, follow the crowd out through security (signs will be leading you to baggage claim). Once you get past security, your Fiance should be waiting for you! YAY! TOGETHER AT LAST!!

Wow that was a lot....Well, I hope it helps. :) And, I hope you have as much fun traveling as I do! The key is always to leave yourself a lot of time - figure out as many things early as you can, and bring a good book. :)

ummmm....uhhh...WOW...awsome details :thumbs: ... this might help me on my future domestic flights... :wacko: LOL...good reply!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

One advice regarding Dallas (I do not know LAX):

The fastest way to get from gate to gate on different terminals is to use the Skylink. If you are flying to Dallas from LA, I imagine that you are flying American. If so, your flight to Corpus Christi will depart from terminal B. The American Way magazine has a map of the airport showing where the closest Skylink station is. There are two stations in every terminal. It may take you up to 15 minutes to reach your departure gate from the arrival gate (from LA).

If your fly to Dallas is delayed in LA for any reason, you may miss your connection to Corpus Christi. Usually it is not a good idea to plan such connections in less than 60 minutes, especially due to weather. Therefore, be prepared to sleep at the airport if you miss any connection. If so, it is better to stay within the secure area of the airport. Airlines do not usually give a hotel room due to weather delays. And even if they did, if you do not know thee area, it is better to stay at the airport.

I usually go prepared with my toothbrush and a small tube of toothpaste (within allowable limits). Carry some dollars because local flights (from LA on) do not include meals. You will have to buy at least water at the airport.

Aside from that, enjoy your trip!

hi i am going to fly @ Los angeles airport with a connecting flight to dallas and final destination to corpus christi texas with a k1 visa. i am just curious coz its my 1st time to travel and i am so nervous and worried becoz so many connecting flights. anybody could give me some tips or tell me the step by step on how to get lost at the airport or missed any flight?

1 more question regards to my flight was the requirements i need to bring for a k1 visa.

Don't be nervous, just follow the directions that you will see inside the Terminal, the important thing is you know your GATE number where you will depart. Ask the airport personnel if you need some assistance.

Make sure you're Check-in at least 2 hours before your flight,that's the standard for all International flights. Standard luggage allowed inside the cabin is only 1 piece of bag not exceeding 7 kls. Avoid wearing to much jewelries that and metal thing that will cause the X-ray machine to beep once you get thru the security check.

If this is your first time to fly, be ready with that feeling in your ears when you take-off and when you are about to descent, they said bubble gum helps with this situation but I haven't tried that.

Drink more water,less coffee. and the best of all, PRAY!! Have a safe flight!! :thumbs:

Dec 15,2009 - Assigned interview date on January 24,2010!!

Jan. 24, 2010 - Interview!! Approved

Jan. 28, 2010 - VISA received

Mar. 03,2010 - POE, New York (JFK)

Apr. 12,2010- CA ID

May 20,2010- CA Driving License

May, 25,2010-Wife told me that she is pregnant ^_^

Jan.25,2011- Our daughter was born

Lee and Jen + Karenza

hi i am going to fly @ Los angeles airport with a connecting flight to dallas and final destination to corpus christi texas with a k1 visa. i am just curious coz its my 1st time to travel and i am so nervous and worried becoz so many connecting flights. anybody could give me some tips or tell me the step by step on how to get lost at the airport or missed any flight?

1 more question regards to my flight was the requirements i need to bring for a k1 visa.

By the way, don't forget to bring a PEN, hehehehehe!! you have to fill-up something for immigration purposes before you deplane. :blush:

Dec 15,2009 - Assigned interview date on January 24,2010!!

Jan. 24, 2010 - Interview!! Approved

Jan. 28, 2010 - VISA received

Mar. 03,2010 - POE, New York (JFK)

Apr. 12,2010- CA ID

May 20,2010- CA Driving License

May, 25,2010-Wife told me that she is pregnant ^_^

Jan.25,2011- Our daughter was born

Lee and Jen + Karenza

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

By the way, don't forget to bring a PEN, hehehehehe!! you have to fill-up something for immigration purposes before you deplane. :blush:

I (USC) invariably forget to have a pen readily accesible during the flight and end up bumbling with it during the line-up to get up to immigration. :P

Thank you Nik and Heather on what to do at the airport for those who will be flying to USA soon. I am still waiting for a case complete at NVC but I am now preparing on what I would do next. This is really a big help. I have traveled by plane locally but never internationally. For sure my POE is LAx as my Hubby lives in California.

I actually saved your post in my mail in case I could not find this the next time I will log in here. LOL!

Truly, it is scary to travel to a foreign land. My husband and I have already been discussing about this. hahaha! We agreed that once I got out of the airport I will find a WIFI zone so I can text him via WIFI! LOL

Thank you so much.

Steve and Nor

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

A point to note if you’re checking in luggage is that many of the travel accessories that are sold as luggage security items (locks, cable ties, security seals, etc) do not actually work to protect your luggage. You’d think for the money spent on these things it would take time to break into a bag, but it’s as simple as several seconds with a paperclip or even a pen. And people wonder why there is a problem with luggage theft. This site shows how the criminals do it: http://www.securoseal.com/main.php?id=318. The same site has also got news stories from around the world on airport and luggage related crime here: http://www.securoseal.com/main.php?id=325 – so it's worth a read if you’re planning on taking a trip soon.

When I have connecting flights, I try to look up a random date selection of that flight number on http://www.flightstats.com

This gives you the major advantage of knowing what Gate range your flight(s) normally depart(s) from (and how often it arrives on time!), so you can simply look out an airport gate map for your transit airports and you'll know where you're heading on paper. If you get lost, simply ask someone which way Gate number X is and normally someone will be able to offer you directions. :)

Airport Terminal maps are nearly always available on that particular airport's website, easily found via any Search engine.

Edited by Brit Abroad

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

So, how did it go? I hope it was a good experience. :) Good to be home!

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.