Mike n Huong

Have you learned your SO's language?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I'm pretty sure its map dit--that was my sister's nickname when she was a child... :P:)

Binh said I pronunced it correctly and it is more like mop, dont know if it was bad internet or not but her and her mom both laughed. Either way one of us is close for sure.

Jerome

yea, i wasn't referring to the words, i was referring to the "sentence structure"...dit map is lit butt fatt whereas map dit is fat azz... :) just clarifing...

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I'm pretty sure its map dit--that was my sister's nickname when she was a child... :P:)

Binh said I pronunced it correctly and it is more like mop, dont know if it was bad internet or not but her and her mom both laughed. Either way one of us is close for sure.

Jerome

yea, i wasn't referring to the words, i was referring to the "sentence structure"...dit map is lit butt fatt whereas map dit is fat azz... :) just clarifing...

Isnt it funny how the bad words are so much easier to learn??

Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The way they say it in Hue is more like "mup". :blush:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
The way they say it in Hue is more like "mup". :blush:

that's how it's prounounced...

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

I speak her language better than she speaks

CR1 timeline:

11/2008: submit I130

11/15/2008: case sent to CSC

06/02/2009: uscis approval

08/05/2009: interview-get blue slip request timeline

08/25/2009: submit timeline - get denial blue slip

Không có gì quý hơn độc lập tự do."

Tôi biết nó, thằng nói câu nói đó

Tôi biết nó, đồng bào miền Bắc này biết nó

Việc nó làm, tội nó phạm ra sao

Nó đầu tiên đem râu nó bện vào

Hình xác lão Mao lông lá

Bàn tay Nga đầy băng tuyết giá

Cũng nhoài qua lục địa Trung Hoa

Không phải xoa đầu mà túm tóc nó từ xa

Nó đứng không yên, tất bật, điên đầu

Lúc rụi vào Tàu, lúc rúc vào Nga

Nó gọi Tàu Nga là cha anh nó Và tình nguyện làm con chó nhỏ

Xông xáo giữ nhà gác ngõ cho cha anh

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

i actually learned vietnamese at a language school over there and i try to usa it as much as i can. and i think it is working, people still laugh at my pronounciation but i think im getting somewhere..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I learned Italian after about 3 years together. Now I am pretty fluent. But it was a bit easier since I already spoke Spanish. We are learing German together now which is interesting to each learn a different language from different native languages!!!!

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Hey Mike, good to see you online!

I've been learning via Rosetta Stone and several flash cards programs. I've got a long ways to go yet, but can speak conversationally to my wifes family and coworkers with not much problem. In fact, I really enjoy the reactions I get from trying and find that helps to encourage me further. I'd say that once I understood the basic building blocks of how the VNese structure sentences, it was only a matter of increasing my vocabulary. Any way you do it, good luck, its well worth it (and the best reason of all...my wife gets turned on by listening to me speak her language!)!!

:yes:

Was RS worth the money?

That program can probably be found down on Bui Vien. I know one shop that has RS English for 100K VND.

please allow me to write here for my fiance, yes he can speak a little bit of tagalog now hehehe... but very little... but really i am proud that he first learned those words bcoz of me... its fun for me to hear him saying words in filipino... the way he speaks it, really cute hehehe...

thank u... :star: :star: :star:

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Timeline

We got married more than 2 yrs, my husband never could speak a Vietnamese sentence. He only required me to speak English with our daughter. I said "NO", I will teach her my Vietnamese language, then I can have private conversation with my girl. hahahhha :devil:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I love learning my husband's language;which is Arabic. I studied Arabic at my University for three years. I wanted to take more classes, but they don't offer anything past the 3002 level. Now, I just study at home and practice with others as much as possible. I use CD's and I ordered the next textbook.

My husband loves that fact that I have been learning Arabic for him. I highly recommend it.

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

Timeline
I am very interested in knowing how many of you have made a full effort in learning your SO's language? I am not just talking about how to say hello and goodbye, I am talking about being able to have a full conversation in your SO's language.

It has been something that I really want to do, and have bought a translation book and CD, but neither have been much help. My wife and I both work full time jobs and we haven't given this enough attention. We are setting aside time for her to teach me.

Has anyone had success in learing and if so what were your sources that taught you, if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.byki.com/fls/free-vietnamese-so...ml?l=vietnamese

Here is a free software downlaod that will teach you Vietnamese and many other languages. It is very good, you can HEAR how thing are pronouced, SEE the word writen. It also make you type the word. There also other vocabulary downloads FREE. I am not advance enough Yet to need the PAY version. TRY IT OUT!!!!!!

let me know what you think!!!!

Greg

Timeline
I am very interested in knowing how many of you have made a full effort in learning your SO's language? I am not just talking about how to say hello and goodbye, I am talking about being able to have a full conversation in your SO's language.

It has been something that I really want to do, and have bought a translation book and CD, but neither have been much help. My wife and I both work full time jobs and we haven't given this enough attention. We are setting aside time for her to teach me.

Has anyone had success in learing and if so what were your sources that taught you, if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.byki.com/fls/free-vietnamese-so...ml?l=vietnamese

Here is a free software downlaod that will teach you Vietnamese and many other languages. It is very good, you can HEAR how thing are pronouced, SEE the word writen. It also make you type the word. There also other vocabulary downloads FREE. I am not advance enough Yet to need the PAY version. TRY IT OUT!!!!!!

let me know what you think!!!!

Greg

I mentioned Byki on the first page of this thread. It's pretty good. The full paid version is the same as the free version, but comes with a lot more card stacks. It's a lot better than audio-only courses like Pimsleur. The downside, as I mentioned somewhere (I think in another thread) is that each phrase is recorded only once, only by a female speaker, and downsampled (sample rate reduced) too much. When you take a recording of speech that consists of a lot of higher frequencies (like a female voice) and reduce the sample rate too much, the high frequency sounds become "aliased", which means the original frequency is lost, and new artificial lower frequencies are created. The result is that unvoiced sounds like "sh", "ph", etc. become mushy and difficult to understand. It sounds like the speaker has a severe lisp.

You do get a lot for your money with Byki. It won't teach you the entire Vietnamese language, but you'll get a helluva good start at being able to have a casual conversation, and you'll learn a lot about sentence structure. You'll also learn about pronunciation, with the limitations I mentioned above. If you're going to use it, I recommend getting a headset with a microphone, and occasionally recording your session. Listen for pronunciation and tone differences.

It would help a lot if they included multiple versions of each recorded phrase, so you could compare. It would also help if the recordings were not so compressed so the clarity would be better. On the upside, you can make your own card stacks and share with other people.

BTW, the "written" tests in Byki suck. If the original phrase ended with a period, and you don't include the period in your answer, then it will consider your answer to be wrong. There are also some questions that it will consider ANY answer to be wrong, even if you get it precisely right. You have to force it to accept your answer.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

• 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks,

Mike

just bought the 2 CD set for 40.000 vnd 92 Bui Vien st. dist 1

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.