powerlord86

Hi! Questions about the initial petition for K-1 visa (I have done my research)

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, it's nice to see this community here.

I am just starting a K-1 visa, I-129F form...

My fiance needs to submit:

Letter of Intent

Passport Photo

G-325A Form

I am wondering if she has to fill those forms by hand, go to a store and get a passport photo, mail them to me in America, or can she can she just scan those documents or fax them and I can print them out (so that we can complete the forms quicker).

Any tips for a successful petition would awesome, like the best things to provide/show to the gov't agency. Is there anything else that she can provide?

-Marcus

Letter of Intent

Passport Photo

G-325A Form

I am wondering if she has to fill those forms by hand, go to a store and get a passport photo, mail them to me in America, or can she can she just scan those documents or fax them and I can print them out (so that we can complete the forms quicker).

Any tips for a successful petition would awesome, like the best things to provide/show to the gov't agency. Is there anything else that she can provide?

-Marcus

The letter of intent must be an original, i.e., it must bear her original signature. A fax, photocopy, or printout of a scan will generate an RFE.

The G-325A for the foreign fiance does not strictly require an original signature according to USCIS policy; however, some adjudicators are apparently oblivious to this and have generated RFEs for this too. Therefore, to minimize the chance of RFEs, better to have her original signature on these as well. It need not be filled out by hand, however; you can assist her in filling them out, save the data in the PDF, and have her print, sign, and send to you.

As for the passport photo, if she emails you a high-quality, high-resolution digital photo (meeting USCIS/DoS standards) in the correct size, you could print it here, either at a photo center (Walmart, CVS, etc.) or on your own printer if its output is of high enough quality. Or she could send them to you. Your call here.

Tips for a successful petition: include both primary and secondary evidence of having met in person within the past 2 years (consult the guides for info on what constitutes primary and secondary evidence). This is key to getting your petition approved by USCIS. Also, do some research on the consulate where your fiancee will eventually be interviewing to determine whether front-loading the petition is advisable.

Good luck!

Edited by Stephen + Elisha

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Letter of Intent

Passport Photo

G-325A Form

-Marcus

The letter of intent must be an original, i.e., it must bear her original signature. A fax, photocopy, or printout of a scan will generate an RFE.

The G-325A for the foreign fiance does not strictly require an original signature according to USCIS policy; however, some adjudicators are apparently oblivious to this and have generated RFEs for this too. Therefore, to minimize the chance of RFEs, better to have her original signature on these as well. It need not be filled out by hand, however; you can assist her in filling them out, save the data in the PDF, and have her print, sign, and send to you.

As for the passport photo, if she emails you a high-quality, high-resolution digital photo (meeting USCIS/DoS standards) in the correct size, you could print it here, either at a photo center (Walmart, CVS, etc.) or on your own printer if its output is of high enough quality. Or she could send them to you. Your call here.

Tips for a successful petition: include both primary and secondary evidence of having met in person within the past 2 years (consult the guides for info on what constitutes primary and secondary evidence). This is key to getting your petition approved by . Also, do some research on the consulate where your fiancee will eventually be interviewing to determine whether front-loading the petition is advisable.USCIS

Good luck!

What do you mean by front loading a petition? I am ready to send in my I-129F also. Any info would be appreciated

11-27-2009 I-129F Sent out USPS Priority mail

11-30-2009 I-129F Recieved Vermont Service Center Signed for by D. Renaud

12-01-2009 NOA-1

12-03-2009 Check Cashed

12-09-2009 NOA-1 Hard Copy Recieved

03-18-2010 NOA-2

03-22-2010 NVC Recieved File

03-23-2010 NVC Sent File to Consulate

03-23-2010 NOA-2 Hard Copy Recieved

03-25-2010 Bogota Consulate Recieved Case

03-30-2010 Pak # 3 Sent to Consulate

04-14-2010 Pak # 3 Recieved

05-03-2010 Lab work done..

05-05-2010 Medical Exam -- PASSED --

05-12-2010 INTERVIEW ......

05-13-2010 Visa pending a DAS certificate for USC Petitioner.............

06-17-2010 2ND. INTERVIEW Date.

06-17-2010 VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-24-2010 VISA Recieved

06-25-2010 POE Orlando Florida

07-10-2010 Married

08-10-2010 Sent the I-485 pak out to Chicago

08-12-2010 Chicago lockbox recieved AOS pak.

08-19-2010 Recipt Notice for I-485 Pak

08-20-2010 Check Cashed for I-485 Pak

09-14-2010 Case Transferred to CSC

10-04-2010 Biometrics Appt.letter recieved

10-12-2010 Biometrics Appointment

10-15-2010 EAD card production ordered.

10-21-2010 EAD Card Recieved.................

11-03-2010 Social Security Card recieved in Mail

02-11-2011 Case transferred to Local USCIS office.

02-18-2011 Recieved Interview Notice in the Mail

03-24-2011 AOS Interview Date ..... GREEN CARD APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!

03-30-2011 Card Production Ordered.......

04-19-2011 Green Card Recieved....26 days after interview....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Letter of Intent

Passport Photo

G-325A Form

-Marcus

Signatures on the G-325a (four pages) and letter of intent must be original. She can sign blank forms and send them to you. You can fill them out by hand. You can download a copy of the VJ letter of intent, set it up with her name, etc. and email it to her. She can print it, sign it and send it back

get lots of passport photos, 2x2 size. You will need a dozen or more before the process is over. You only need one for the petition.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Letter of Intent

Passport Photo

G-325A Form

-Marcus

Tips for a successful petition: include both primary and secondary evidence of having met in person within the past 2 years (consult the guides for info on what constitutes primary and secondary evidence). This is key to getting your petition approved by . Also, do some research on the consulate where your fiancee will eventually be interviewing to determine whether front-loading the petition is advisable.USCIS

Good luck!

What do you mean by front loading a petition? I am ready to send in my I-129F also. Any info would be appreciated

Front loading is advisable in certain countries. It is submitting evidence of having a bonafide relationship which nowmally isn't necessary until the embassy interview. Not sure about Columbia but I "think" Ecuador is.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

I would double check the instructions regarding the passport photos. From what I recall the ones included with the I129F have to be taken within 30 days. The only way you can really prove that is with an original photo with the stored stamped date on the back. Since you'll have to mail original forms anyways, you might as well go ahead and mail passport photos as well, to be safe. Also, be careful about getting all your pass port photos all at once in the beginning too. Some embassies and medical appointments may require the passport photos to be taken within 3-6 months from what I'm aware of (and yes, this process will take longer than that).

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Hi, my fiance is from Argentina...is it recommended to send a lot of information in the petition? It seems like providing more information is better than less.

Primary information that I can think of, off the top of my head:

Plane ticket bill

Passport stamp

Does anyone have more ideas?

Also, we are young, 21, and I am a student, but with my family...does that make a difference? What do I ultimately have to convey to them?

Hi, my fiance is from Argentina...is it recommended to send a lot of information in the petition? It seems like providing more information is better than less.

Plane ticket bill

Passport stamp

Also, we are young, 21, and I am a student, but with my family...does that make a difference? What do I ultimately have to convey to them?

I'd stick in some pictures of you guys, some emails, letters and chats also

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Letter of Intent

Passport Photo

G-325A Form

-Marcus

The G-325A for the foreign fiance does not strictly require an original signature according to USCIS policy;

however, some adjudicators are apparently oblivious to this and have generated RFEs for this too.

Therefore, to minimize the chance of RFEs, better to have her original signature on these as well.

It need not be filled out by hand, however; you can assist her in filling them out, save the data in the PDF,

and have her print, sign, and send to you.

I agree with the above & recommend an original signature for the G-325A

and on any form requiring an actual signature, except if it is a copy of something

signed by one of you in the past; if there is a chance that this would be a problem,

don't take it unless you don't care about the extra time to satisfy an RFE.

As for the passport photo, if she emails you a high-quality, high-resolution digital photo

(meeting USCIS/DoS standards) in the correct size, you could print it here, either at a photo center

(Walmart, CVS, etc.) or on your own printer if its output is of high enough quality. Or she could send them to you. Your call here.

Whether she makes the photo over there & sends it to you, or you prepare it on your computer & print it out yourself,

it has to satisfy these requirements:

Department of State Passport Photo Composition Checklist

Take note of the background, positioning, dimensions as well as the notes about shadows, glare & brightness.

If she sends you a high quality digital pic that satisfies all of the above except for the dimensions & positioning,

you may be able to crop it in photoshop to 2x2" with the head & eyes satisfying positioning guidelines.

I used that approach to make my own and they were accepted. The great thing about that was that I

paid 25 cents for 6 passport photos (Six 2x2 shots in a 4x6 frame, printed out at CVS). That beats the

hell out of $10 or more for a pair of "professional" ones, but if you don't have access to photoshop or

similar software, just have them made.

Professional or amateur doesn't matter; the requirements do.

Don't be afraid to ask them to do it over if they don't satisfy the DOS requirements.

Tips for a successful petition: include both primary and secondary evidence of having met in person within the past 2 years (consult the guides for info on what constitutes primary and secondary evidence). This is key to getting your petition approved by USCIS. Also, do some research on the consulate where your fiancee will eventually be interviewing to determine whether front-loading the petition is advisable.

Good advice

Good luck!

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Plane ticket bill

Passport stamp

Yeah...i was wondering more about primary evidence.

This may also be helpful:

More Comprehensive photo guidelines - DOS

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I would double check the instructions regarding the passport photos. From what I recall the ones included with the I129F have to be taken within 30 days. The only way you can really prove that is with an original photo with the stored stamped date on the back. Since you'll have to mail original forms anyways, you might as well go ahead and mail passport photos as well, to be safe. Also, be careful about getting all your pass port photos all at once in the beginning too. Some embassies and medical appointments may require the passport photos to be taken within 3-6 months from what I'm aware of (and yes, this process will take longer than that).

Yes, and what?

Passport photos do not contain dates. We made 12 photos for each person, probably two months before filing the petition and used them throughout the process for every document from petition to AOS, medical exam, everything. Including for a K-2 to follow which was issued 10 months after the initial K-1 and the AOS filed more than a year after the photos were taken. So report me.

The purpose of the rule is that the photo be an accurate representation of the person. Unless you make major changes to your appearance (go from very long hair to very short, a regular haircut would make no difference, or change the color of your hair, grow a beard, shave a beard, etc.) it makes no difference whatsoever. And for all that, the photo that appears on the Green card is the one they take at biometrics. It is ridiculous for a foreign fiance(e) to be running to the photoshop every 30 days for new photos because you will need them about that often for one thing or another.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Hi, my fiance is from Argentina...is it recommended to send a lot of information in the petition?

I don't know anything about the Buenos Aires consulate, but you can study up by reading the VisaJourney reviews and searching in the Embassy and Consulate Discussion and Latin American regional forum.

It seems like providing more information is better than less. Indeed! The time you "waste" on providing information up front is negligible compared to the time you'd lose on an RFE, petition denial, or 221(g) at the consulate. You'll have no regrets about front-loading when you and your SO are together in the US after a picture-perfect K-1 process. :thumbs:

Plane ticket bill

Passport stamp

These are good. Boarding passes and luggage claim tags if you have them are also good, as well as hotel receipts.

This shouldn't make any difference, particularly at the USCIS stage. The fact that you're a student may mean that you'll need a co-sponsor for the affidavit of support come interview time—but that's months down the road.

Emails, letters and chats don't prove meeting in person in the last 2 years, which is the primary burden of proof that must be met for a successful I-129F petition. That said, it is good to include some of this so that the consulate will have some evidence of a bona fide relationship in the approved petition they receive from USCIS. Certain difficult consulates refuse to accept relationship evidence brought to the interview, but they can't refuse to consider evidence contained in an approved petition. This is the benefit of front-loading.

Yeah...i was wondering more about primary evidence.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Good luck! Since each of the papers must be the original signed ones, not photocopies, it'd be best for him to get real passport photos made. Digitally printed ones may or may not be acceptable according to their quality and the quality of paper they are printed on. As to evidence of the relationship you must submit, you need only to prove that you have met in person in the last two years...along with all the right paperwork.

Down the road, since you asked, someone will need to sponsor him for the visa. That would be your father, I assume, since you probably don't have sufficient income. That's also when lots more evidence....photos, copies of plane tickets, hotel bills, phone bills, e-mails, etc....will be needed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I didn't have original copies, except for the I29F. Whenever I needed my fiance to sign something, I emailed and he signed and faxed back. I ask USCIS specifically that question about faxed copies. I have the agents name and id # just, the date and time of the call. She wasn't sure either. I haven't had an RFE. Im at the interview stage. I don't suggest everyone go this route but it worked for me.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Jamaica

02-18-2009: Filed I-129F and Sent I-129 via USPS

02-24-2009: VSC received I-129F

02-26-2009: NOA1 received

06-30-2009: NOA2 received

07-01-2009: Touched!

07-10-2009: NVC Received

07-15-2009: Case number assigned, Yay!

07-16 to 08-03: Additional Processing, #######????

08-04-2009: Case left NVC

08-07-2009: Case Arrived at Embassy, Yay!!!

08-07-2009: Emailed DS-230, Part I

08-11-2009: Embassy sent packet 3 (Never received Packet 3)

08-11-2009: Embassy also called fiance and told him to pick packet up on 9-08-09

08-24-2009: Still no packet.. guess He will go on the 8th to pick up packet *sigh*

08-31-2009: Emailed the embassy DS-230 one last time in hopes of getting interview date/called the DOS - no further information from Embassy. They don't even know about the embassy calling Steve to come on 9-08-09. Oh happy day! :(

09-03-2009: Embassy said they received DS-230, part I

09-08-2009: Steve went to the embassy and they gave him the run around. They made him fill out ANOTHER DS-230 form... still waiting for interview :(

09-10-2009: CALLED DOS....... FINALLY!!!!!!!! INTERVIEW DATE

10-13-2009: ***INTERVIEW***

Comments : Received NO2A the same day we got engaged, 06-30-09

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 126 days from your NOA1 date

Your interview took 231 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.