ilovemyhusband

HIV medical waiver approved - Accra

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Many months ago I posted a question regarding HIV waiver processing times and what might cause a denial. Although I have seen little information on VJ I want to post this for others in who in the future might face this ordeal. My husband's visa application is out of the U.S. embassy in Lagos Nigeria. He was found positive for HIV during his medicals and submitted a waiver for inadmissibility due infectious disease through the embassy in Lagos. (this can only be done if the interviewer gives the waiver packet at the time of the visa interview) It was then sent to the Center for Disease Control in the United States and then back to the embassy where it was held for 2 and a half months for some unknown reason before being forwarded to the U.S. embassy in Accra. The delay by the Lagos embassy cost us a total of 4 months as they seem to set on the waivers at various stages, don't know why. The CDC's processing was about 2 weeks from the date they received the waiver. The Accra embassy took 4 months to process the waiver and it has now been approved!!!! Total time to date has been 9 months. The next step is for the waiver to be forwarded to the Lagos embassy and then my husband will attend a second interview. He was told that this interview would require new medicals and police report but we won't be certain that is all that is needed till the embassy contacts him for his second interview. From this long terrifying journey I have learned much about the HIV entry ban that is in place currently with immigrants coming to the U.S. This ban is in the process of being lifted, first with President Bush's passing of a law in July 2008 pulling HIV as a inadmissible infectious disease and now with current legislation in place to have the CDC lift the ban for entry into the U.S. for HIV positive immigrants.

In the mean time, the waiver packet must show 3 important things.

1. That the petitioner is aware of the risks associated with HIV transmission and has knowledge of how to prevent infecting other persons. A letter from the petitioner and supporting U.S. sponsor explaining from each party that they are aware of the petitioners HIV status, understand routes of transmission of HIV (and give examples!)and have knowledge of steps they must take to prevent infecting other persons with the illness. And the petitioners commitment to being responsible to follow through with all medical recommendations once in the U.S.

2. That the petitioner will not become a public charge due to their illness. This can be proven by private insurance availability when the person enters the U.S. or by involvement in medical treatment provided by an clinic or agency that will put in writing that they will take responsibility of the persons medical care at no cost to the government. You CAN NOT use state or government medical assistance for medical treatment. Some states have specially funded programs that allow HIV patients to access services even if paid by state/government resources, but the director of these programs must put in writing their acceptance of financial responsibility for the patient's care.

3. That risk of the public to infection is minimal as the petitioner is aware of steps necessary to prevent transmission of their disease. We made sure we spoke of safe sex practice in our letters and proper handling of bodily fluids.

My prayer in writing this information is that soon the HIV entry ban will be lifted entirely and this senseless process will be abandoned. But for the time being this is necessary. Read page 4 of the waiver packet carefully and have it filled out by a doctor and your local health department official responsible for reporting of infectious disease cases to the CDC. Now, our last step is to wait for the interview and hopefully, God willing my husband will be home for Christmas this year!!!

God Bless....I hope this information helps someone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for sharing this. I am sure it will be of use to others. Good luck in your Visa Journey.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

and this senseless process will be abandoned.

Whats senseless about trying to protect others from getting Aids. It's obvious that LOTS of people wih aids don't take the necessary precautions of spreading the disease.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

AIDS and HIV are terrible things. Unfortunately Africa bears a huge burden with the caseload in various parts. In some countries it affect 1/3 of the population. Nigeria sits somewhere around the 10% mark. You have been brave to come forward with the things you have found out. Just from the number of Nigerian couple that have been here statistics say there should be others that were more embarrassed by finding out they had this issue. Hopefully your husband will stay healthy and enjoy a long life with you.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Congrats on your waiver approval.

You are a conqueror, HIV positive people should never be discriminated because of their

Status. Wish you good luck in your interview.

In your Strength, I can crush an army; with my God , I can scale any wall .....2nd Samuel 22:30

For God did not give us a spirit of fear and timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline}... 2 Timothy 1 :7[/i]

Set me as seal over your heart. Solomon 8:6

imgfinal2.jpg

AOS

08/03/2009 - AOS Approval

08/13/ 2009- GC in mail

ROC

09/01/2011 - Roc Approval

N - 400

06/15/2012 - Mailed N - 400 package to Phoenix

06/19/2012 - Notice of Action

07/20/2012 - Biometrics

08/20/2012 - Interview: PASSED

09/21/2012 - Oath Ceremony :)

09/21/2012 - US Citizen

RqhYvq6.jpgRqhYm4.pngRqhYm4.png

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows James 1 : 17[/center]

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
CONGRATULATIONS!

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.