sand1980

New to VJ

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok, so here is my situation. I am engaged to an Algerian man. I am from the U.S. and know absolutely nothing about immigration procedures. He has attempted to get a visitors visa prior to me knowing him and was always denied. Does the U.S. have an issue with Algeria? Because it seems very hard for them to get visas. He basically has no money and I basically have no money, so it is very difficult for us to meet. Is this something immigration takes into account at all? We have never met in person. Just kind of wondering what my options are and how to begin the process of applying for him to come here. Any help would be great.

Citizens from many countries (Algeria probably one of them) have difficulty obtaining visitor visas to the US - it is not a matter of the US having issues with the country - more likely there is a pattern of citizens from these countries using a visitor's visa to enter the use with the intent to remain.

If you have never met in person - you will be unsuccessful in this process - USCIS will not take into account that either of you can not afford to meet. You'll need to figure out a way to meet in person.

I have heard that the requiement to meet is not always necessary if it will cause an extreme financial hardship. Is that not true?

No - best advice is to not waste your time/money perusing this avenue.

Waivers for not meeting in person are rarely ever granted - I mean RARELY as in almost never.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I have heard that the requiement to meet is not always necessary if it will cause an extreme financial hardship. Is that not true?

Extreme hardship - yes. Extreme financial hardship - absolutely not!

You are expected to be able to sponsor your fiance/husband when they immigrate, which means you are obligated to support them. The objective is that the US taxpayers will not be on the hook to support them. If you have no income, you won't be able to meet the requirements to sponsor them. In most cases, you can get a co-sponsor for the financial support obligation, but in no way does that alleviate your requirement of having met face to face within the past two years.

Extreme hardship would be something like you are in an iron lung, and cannot leave the hospital. :blush:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

What if we were to marry in Algeria( provided that I could find the money to go)? I am not trying to be an idiot I just really don't know where to start. We just want to marry and live together forever. How can I make that happen?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you go there and marry him then everything changes. You can then file for a spouse visa. If you want to bring him to the States, you two MUST meet in person.

K-1 TIMELINE:

05-11-2009: NOA1

05-20-2009: called the Military Help Line and requested for expedite

06-04-2009: NOA2

06-14-2009: NVC letter received in the mail

07-02-2009: Packet 4 received

08-27-2009: Interview - Visa approved!

09-03-2009: visa in hands.

09-20-2009: POE - Miami

09-21-2009: we got married!

AOS TIMELINE:

05-12-2010: NOA1

06-08-2010: Case transferred to CSC

06-21-2010: Biometrics

I think a few members here have married in Algeria. You don't have to get married there though. You can just go, meet in person, then come home and file for your fiance. While the case is processing you can be working and trying to save. As said above, if you don't make enough money, you will need a cosponsor when the time comes. This isn't a fast process for anyone, and it's not easy(or cheap). Just read all the guides, you'll learn a lot. Oh, and welcome to VJ.

Timeline

I need to make a certain amount even if we are married? Does anyone know about how much and what if I am unable to find a co sponsor? Once again, I apologize for my ignorance regarding immigration procedures.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes, even if you are married you still need to sponsor him. You need to make 125% above the poverty line.

K-1 TIMELINE:

05-11-2009: NOA1

05-20-2009: called the Military Help Line and requested for expedite

06-04-2009: NOA2

06-14-2009: NVC letter received in the mail

07-02-2009: Packet 4 received

08-27-2009: Interview - Visa approved!

09-03-2009: visa in hands.

09-20-2009: POE - Miami

09-21-2009: we got married!

AOS TIMELINE:

05-12-2010: NOA1

06-08-2010: Case transferred to CSC

06-21-2010: Biometrics

Hi!

Since you're new, maybe you haven't seen the link to the most useful thing on this site. At the top of the page are several links. The one in the middle called "Guides" is the best resource you'll get (I wish it was highlighted more too). Also, check out the FAQ link.

While you may be able to find a cosponsor to help you meet the support requirements get your fiance here, there are also many many fees that you'll need to figure out how to pay. Any way you slice it, the process to get your hunny a green card will set you back from $1000 - $1500 (approximate, but close). That doesn't even include air fare.

Go through the guides and flow charts for all of your options, and then choose the path which best works for your situation.

All the best

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

just an offhand remark: please meet him and make sure that this is the right man for you. maybe the chemistry isn't there in person, or maybe there are issues that will arise during your meeting that you both would not have known about beforehand. i dunno....

good luck.

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Wow...you really should meet him in person before you jump into marriage. Just my two cents which of course you didn't ask for, but you have to expect it by stating you're engaged without meeting in person. You may not click or have chemistry in person. I hope it works out for you! I would think being engaged before meeting would raise a red flag during this whole process, but maybe not.

Our timeline:

2/88: We met in Sydney, Australia at a youth hostel! He's Finnish, I'm American-both were in our early 20s at the time and fresh out of college (so couldn't afford to visit each other's countries after that!). We had a three-day romance, then went our separate ways. He actually was going to Sydney a week later, but decided at the last minute to cut his trip short in another country and go early. Wow.

1988-1998: Wrote "snail mail" letters/sent Xmas cards, but lived our separate lives. I married someone else, divorced in 2006...he lived with someone for years and then that ended.

10/08: Because of a series of random life events, I Googled my Finn Man and found him (but no link to his email, and the website his name was on was in Estonian so I couldn't even read it!). It took me two weeks to find a link to someone else, who forwarded my email to him (we were both single at the time thankfully!!!!). The email went to his spam folder but he happened to check it that day and responded back to me immediately! This was after 10 years of no contact and almost 21 years of not seeing each other after we first met.

11/08-5/09: We traveled back and forth to visit each other. Love at first (second?) sight!

7/09: Married in Helsinki, Finland...after meeting randomly 21 1/2 years ago and finding each other again!!!!!

8/13/09: I-130 sent!!!!!!!!!

Rest is on my timeline!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.