Misty1979

Any advice on a car loan

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good morning fellow Canadians!

I was hoping someone here might have some advice on how to get financed for a car...mine is on it's last legs (it only starts for me about 50% of the time, sometimes it just shuts off in random places while I'm driving, and no it's not the alternator.) Anywho, because my husband is a pack rat and grows attached to things, we have brought this car to 4 different mechanics and paid 4 different fees adding up to more than $1200 over the past year. Yep...enough for a down payment on a newer more reliable car. I finally have him convinced that we need to ditch this thing, because any day now I'm going to be stuck without transportation to work (he gets a ride with his friend to school everyday, so we only have the one vehicle.)

My problem is much the same as all of you: I hardly have any credit history here in the US, and unforunately, when I first moved down here, I was sick for a while, and ended up racking up $1400 of hospital bills. We were living on pretty much beans and rice during that first year, and could honestly not afford to pay the bill. I kept hearing that hospital bills didn't effect anything credit wise, so stupidly, I ignored the bill for about a year and a half until we could afford to start making payments. Well needless to say, it went into collections, and I've been making small payments on it, until yesterday when I payed off the remaining $1100 in one lump sum.

Long story short, I've applied for a car loan through my bank twice in about 3 months. Both times I've been denied, and it sounded like the hospital bill was alot of the reason, along with a short credit history. I'm scared to apply again, even now that I've paid the bill off because every time someone looks at your credit, your score is lowered so the more I try the worse it gets, but I'm getting pretty desperate here.

Anyone have any tips or advice?

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline

Not sure if you absolutely need the car for work or not. But if you don't - I have seen a lot of people selling their beaters on Craigslist for above normal price to people who want a car to trade in for cash for clunkers. ie: buy an older car for $1200 and trade it in for $3500 or $4500. That may be a way to come up with some money for the downpayment rather than a worthless trade in.

As for securing a loan, I have absolutely no idea. I am sure someone will have some good advice.

Btw, you look lovely in your profile pic. :luv:

Filed: Timeline

This is a really good site: Credit Info Center

Go to the forums section to research your question or ask your own.

Car dealerships offer loans to their clients. You may want to look into that. But first read the following before making any moves. There's a section on "Inquiries":

Credit Scoring 101

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You may get stuck at a buy here pay here place that will charge very high interest, but they will at least finace you and you can start to build credit.

I think cash for clunkers is over.

Edited by NArocks

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Timeline
You may get stuck at a buy here pay here place that will charge very high interest, but they will at least finace you and you can start to build credit.

I think cash for clunkers is over.

Yes, it ended Monday, I was all over that when I read about it, but my car unfortunately didn't quite qualify (two miles per gallon less and it would have.)

You're right about the financing through the dealership itself, I'll probably end up going that route. Luckily I can probably afford to make larger payments that I'm required, so I guess I'll just pour all my money and pay it off as quickly as possible to offset some of the interest.

In the mean time, I'll take a look at your link Krikit and see what I can find :)

PS- Thanks, MrsCat!

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I personally would never even think of buying from a car dealership. Look on Craigslist or elsewhere on the internet and find a nice lightly used (or heavily used, if you want) car. Buy a carfax report before buying and consider getting a 3rd-party warranty on the car (or adjust your budget to account for car repairs in the future). You'll likely get a better deal this way and it sure beats going to a dealership!

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Another GREAT link besides Credit Info Center (I'm a member there too) is CreditBoards.

LOTS more info in that link, as there are more members who are active.

First thing would be to pull your credit report. If you have been denied, you should have received a letter explaining which credit reporting agency they used. Go to that website, and you'll be able to request your report because of the denile for free.

If you need help finding where to look, let me know which reporting agency(ies) they were. I can get you direct links on where you need to do this online.

That way you can see how many inquiries, what's reporting (good or bad) and where you stand.

Hope this helps! :)

Edited by J&K

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

Timeline

Ooh Krikit you rock! I just found this on your link:

"Tip: When applying for credit pull your own credit report first (this is a soft hit and won't drop your scores) ok, with credit report in hand go visit your local banks or credit unions. Show them the reports; and don't allow them to pull a credit report of their own unless they can say for sure that you will be approved, this way you save your self unnecessary pulls on your credit report if they decline you. IF they say yes, you are approved, then they will need to pull credit report to seal the deal."

I'll probably head out this weekend and at least give that a try :thumbs:

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I personally would never even think of buying from a car dealership.

Okay. Sorry, this comment makes little to no sense.

Any ways, trying one of those car dealerships that offers high interest loans is probably your best bet. It will probably be 12-18% though which would be a lot.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I think the best solution is to have your hubby apply for the loan and buy the car. Assuming he has a good credit score. What matters is your household will have a working car. You don't need and auto loan to build credit in the US. A credit card will work as well and you can avoid high interest rates by paying it off before the due date.

You said that you applied for a loan twice in the last 3 months from your bank. Do not apply for any more loans. Part of your credit score is based on the number of inquiries to your credit history (each loan or credit card you apply for is an inquiry), so I think you are just harming your score further.

You (and your hubby) should get a copy of your credit report and your FICO score. This way you'll have a better understanding of why you've been getting denied and you'll know you score so you can measure your improvement in the future.

Edited by reeses16

Timeline
Ooh Krikit you rock! I just found this on your link:

"Tip: When applying for credit pull your own credit report first (this is a soft hit and won't drop your scores) ok, with credit report in hand go visit your local banks or credit unions. Show them the reports; and don't allow them to pull a credit report of their own unless they can say for sure that you will be approved, this way you save your self unnecessary pulls on your credit report if they decline you. IF they say yes, you are approved, then they will need to pull credit report to seal the deal."

I'll probably head out this weekend and at least give that a try :thumbs:

I don't think in this economy that will suffice any more. They will pull their own without question so it might not work. Unfortunately the markets are just bad and they are afraid to loan money to people.

I think the best solution is to have your hubby apply for the loan and buy the car.

Agreed. Is there a reason why he can't try to taket he loan misty?

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

Any ways, trying one of those car dealerships that offers high interest loans is probably your best bet. It will probably be 12-18% though which would be a lot.

It would make perfect sense if you read the entire blurb and didn't simply consider one part of it out of context. :rolleyes:

You can pay 12-18% interest on an overpriced car, or you can pay 0% interest and get a much better deal by buying from a private party. Your choice.

Timeline

Maybe a used car, but I'm assuming you'd buy a NEW car from a dealership.

Your words were, "I personally would never even think of buying from a car dealership." You didn't specify.

And, if you are buying from a private party, I'm assuming you are purchasing the car outright. What if you don't have 3 or 4 grand to do so? No one is going to give you a loan at 0%. Some dealerships were doing that a few years ago but not any time soon.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It would make perfect sense if you read the entire blurb and didn't simply consider one part of it out of context. :rolleyes:

You can pay 12-18% interest on an overpriced car, or you can pay 0% interest and get a much better deal by buying from a private party. Your choice.

Have your husband co sign for you, that way you get to build your credit score. BTW a paid collection on your CRA can hurt more than an unpaid as it birngs it current for reporting purposes. Derogs ding your score less as time passes. Good Luck

lolfs.gif

Timeline
Maybe a used car, but I'm assuming you'd buy a NEW car from a dealership.

Your words were, "I personally would never even think of buying from a car dealership." You didn't specify.

And, if you are buying from a private party, I'm assuming you are purchasing the car outright. What if you don't have 3 or 4 grand to do so? No one is going to give you a loan at 0%. Some dealerships were doing that a few years ago but not any time soon.

Correct, this is for a used car, which I specified when I said

find a nice lightly used (or heavily used, if you want) car

After I said I would never buy a car from a dealership, I then talked about buying one from a private party and said

You'll likely get a better deal this way

Also correct, when buying from a private party, you purchase one outright. However, due to the fact that there are no overhead costs, buying from a private party is a better deal. Of course, if you need a car now, don't have a few grand on-hand, and are unable to continue to repair your current car until you have enough saved to go the private party route, then I guess buying from a dealership is an option. If you own a home, another option would be to borrow against your house and use that money to buy from a private party. You will likely get a better interest rate that way.

In summary, my advice is: explore all your options before financing through a car dealership.

Edited by rsn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.