~*Dorothy*~

Friday - 8/21/09

78 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey everyone, yes I will also fast with Farid this Ramadan, I did it last year in Morocco so we will see how it goes this year. So hope everyone has a great Friday, we are headed out to a baseball game tonite and a football game tomorrow nite. wohoo

Oct 28,2006 Met online in Yahoo messenger
Dec 2,2007 Traveled to Morocco and decided to stay
Jan 7,2008 Got married in Zaio
Mar 2,2008 Got my Moroccan residency
Oct 23,2008 Direct Consular filed at consulate
Oct 31,2008 Got interview call for Dec 22nd
Nov 11,2008 Medical exam done
Dec 22,2008 Interview and got approved
Dec 23,2008 Visa issued, thanks to God
Jan 20,2009 Flew home to Texas.
Jan 21,2009 Living and working in Los Fresnos, Texas
Oct 30,2010 Filed I-751 Lifting of Conditions
Nov 2, 2010 NOA1
Dec 10,2010 Biometrics
Mar 23,2011 Approved Lifting of Conditions
Oct 28,2011 Filed N-400 Naturalization
Nov 02,2011 NOA 1
Nov 28,2011 Recd text/email placed inline for interview schedule
Dec 01,2011 Recd text/email interview scheduled,pending letter
Jan 10,2012 Interview Date
Jan 10,2012 Interview Cancelled and will be rescheduled per
USCIS as Farid can only interview after Jan 20th
Feb 23,2012 Citizenship Interview Date-Farid passed. Wohoo
July 6,2012 Oath Ceremony-McAllen Texas

March 20,2013 Petitioned for Momma

March 9, 2015 Momma arrives in Texas to live with us.

January 30, 2016 Momma leaves back to Morocco for a visit.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Question. Why in arabic songs sung by men - they always sing about "habibi"? Wouldn't that make them ghey?

I've always wondered that too...I asked my husband a while back and he tried to explain but I didn't have a clue as to what he was trying to say. Lol.

I asked my husband as well, and he couldn't explain the incorrect usage, therefore - ask VJ!

"Habibi"? That word wouldn't translate directly into English, but the meaning would. It's, like, the most endearing term a person can use for a male. It's not a buddy or a pal or a friend, it's deeper than any of those.

"Habibti" is for a female.

Actually I know many men that say habibi to a friend. For them they are using it for simply referring to their friend as just that...friend, buddy or pal. Nothing more. There is not always a "deep" meaning behind it.

Although for me, I call Ahmed and my son, habibi which of course means more to me then just being friendly :)

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Actually I know many men that say habibi to a friend. For them they are using it for simply referring to their friend as just that...friend, buddy or pal. Nothing more. There is not always a "deep" meaning behind it.

Although for me, I call Ahmed and my son, habibi which of course means more to me then just being friendly :)

How's "habibi" different from "besha"?

Timeline

I realized later it's Amirah not Amera sorry Sara. Turns out my back getting hurt worked in my favor after all. Glad I have these left over muscle relaxers from Egypt. So what worked in my favor is I couldn't buy my bus ticket anyways because my school money wasn't direct deposited into my account like it was supposed to be today. Now I'm leaving Sunday to rest this back before to travel and to be near internet access so I can hear how Waleed's interview went and hoping and praying my money is direct deposited into my account by Saturday otherwise something is wrong. I hate that they wait until the last minute to put the money in our accounts. It makes it difficult to rent apartments and buy school books,ect.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

Basha is actually an Arabic word for Pasha, which I think was a turkish word used during the Ottoman empire for "leader" or "ruler" <--at least I think it was....I have been know to be wrong many more times then not

In Arabic you can use "ya basha" like "hey boss" or something like that. Sometimes I've heard it being used like "Hey man...."

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
Ok transferring travel talk to the friday thread. Does anyone know anything about the moroccan community in Montreal? I ask because we live not sooooo far from there, short plane ride or long drive and my in laws are coming from israel to visit for a month. My husband always wants them to go away for a short excursion towards the end of their stay here, partially so they can experience this but mostly because they start making him nuts and he knows he cant take a whole month. My in laws like to travel around, see sights, REALLY like to find other israelis/moroccan/tunisians their age they can "hang out with" they are EXTREMELY social. So I was thinking that Montreal might be nice because its pretty, they can speak french, and isnt there a big moroccan area with lots of moroccan restaurants etc? They would love something like that. Anyway I have never been which is ridiculous so let me know!

Are your inlaws allowed to go to Canada? I don't know about Montreal but when hubby wakes up I'll ask him about Toronto since that's where his bff lives. Of course that's a longer plane ride though. I've actually never been to Canada and can't wait to see Toronto when we visit his buddy but we have to wait until he gets his AOS all finished up I think.

It was so quiet and peaceful here this morning while I started working until my neighbor's car alarm went off. :angry: I hate those things.

Have to pick up dates and plan out the menus for this coming week. Making macaroni bechamel for tomorrow along with chicken soup and I'm going to have the kiddies bake a cake to keep them occupied.

Happy Friday! :dance::dance::dance:

Thats a good question, I just assumed so since they havent had problems going to US, caribbean, etc but who knows i should check!

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
Question. Why in arabic songs sung by men - they always sing about "habibi"? Wouldn't that make them ghey?

I've always wondered that too...I asked my husband a while back and he tried to explain but I didn't have a clue as to what he was trying to say. Lol.

i thought habibi is what you say to a woman and habibti is what you say to a guy? israelis of moroccan, tunisian etc descent all walk around calling each other habibi but would never call a woman habibi they use it like "dude" its fun.

Basha is actually an Arabic word for Pasha, which I think was a turkish word used during the Ottoman empire for "leader" or "ruler" <--at least I think it was....I have been know to be wrong many more times then not

In Arabic you can use "ya basha" like "hey boss" or something like that. Sometimes I've heard it being used like "Hey man...."

Oh, geez. That makes sense. I never thought about the P/B thing.

My husband calls all of his friends besha but NEVER habibi. Actually, I don't think I've ever heard him use that word.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I've asked hubby before about him calling some of his friends pasha. He pronounces it with a P though, not a B.

He said it's to show respect. Like was mentioned, it was a title or something way back when, and so now you use it to show respect. There are different names for different levels but I can't remember what they are.

He also doesn't call all his friends that, just some.

In the house here, they call my father in law baba, which always reminds me of baby speak for bottle, so that's always what I think of when they say it. It sounds so silly.

Sometimes I can't figure out a word they're trying to say because they say it with a B instead of a P. :P

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

Timeline
I've asked hubby before about him calling some of his friends pasha. He pronounces it with a P though, not a B.

He said it's to show respect. Like was mentioned, it was a title or something way back when, and so now you use it to show respect. There are different names for different levels but I can't remember what they are.

He also doesn't call all his friends that, just some.

In the house here, they call my father in law baba, which always reminds me of baby speak for bottle, so that's always what I think of when they say it. It sounds so silly.

Sometimes I can't figure out a word they're trying to say because they say it with a B instead of a P. :P

Melly your husband must have the letter P perfected :thumbs: My husband has a HORRIBLE time trying to use the letter P. So Ahmed says it like 'basha' and your husband is correct...you use it like showing respect.

As for baba, I used to call my dad that. Sigh....he is missed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Ramadan Mubarak!

Interesting conversation- have had this with Ghassan as well. He calls me "habibi"- as it has a more endearing meaning for me than habibti. I do know middle eastern men call people "dear" (or like terms) as a form of friendship- My mom was taken aback when he called her "dear" the first time she talked with him online. I had to explain to her that it was normal...

Anyhoo- lots of prayers needed. We are going through some rough times right now with our spirit.. this AP is taking its toll.

Thank you!

Baj

ah. the longing....

Timeline

Hi ak3! Yeah I am going for my Masters but to prepare for it I want to take a few more classes for my portfolio and I still have to take my GRE this fall and apply to places. However, I am not satisfied with any of the Graduate Programs that I have looked at so I'm not willing to pay that kind of money for a Masters until I find something I am happy with. So for now I will take another semester of classes and my GRE so I'll always have those scores when I go to apply. After this semester we're looking at moving to Seattle area so I'm looking for work up there that I may apply my degree to and get better pay. There is more access to couples like us there and halal stores and mosques and more oppurtunities for work for both of us. The film industry is there and in Vancouver area as well and some excellent schools and who knows maybe after Waleed finishes his USMLE's he'll get a fellowship somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.