anka

Joint Bank Account Advice and Insight

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

My husband, Vasya, and I must open a joint bank account ASAP since we have our AOS interview on doomsday September 11 (they just had to schedule us for that date, go figure :unsure: ). We shouldn't have left this 'til the last minute...

To start off, we just need a simple, easy to open, minimal-cost joint savings and/or checking account (or similar).

- So
, which banking institution (FDIC insured, of course) do
you
think would be the best fit for us?

- Given todays slew of economic problems, which banks are actually the safest and most secure?

- Which ones should we avoid?

- Any thoughts on credit unions?

- The "online banks" are a bad idea, right?

- Are there any "perks" a bank may offer married couple when opening a joint account? (dumb question)

- Any other ideas/advice/thoughts/advice you deem necessary to add?

Ok, thanks for whatever help anyone has to give!

:star::star::star:

Since

As of:

June 26, 2012 - The Hubbs received his 10-year Permanent Residency Card (aka THE Greencard) in the mail today!

At long last, this highly stressful leg of our journey has come to a close - for now - and we couldn't be more grateful and appreciative for all the tremendous help and support here on VJ! Without VisaJourney I doubt we would be where my husband and I are today! Thanks to all!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Any bank where AKDiver's wife works.

Credit Unions by their nature are non-profits. Personally I have had much better experience with my credit union then I have ever had with a bank. I get better customer service, i.e. a real live person picks up the phone when I call, lower fees, and like that they are not concerned with share holders and maximizing profits. YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
- Given todays slew of economic problems, which banks are actually the safest and most secure?
It really doesn't matter - unless maybe you're going to deposit more than $250,000.

All of them. But if you have to open an account, it doesn't matter which one.

If you're just opening a checking account, it doesn't really matter.

Not really any different from other banks.

- Are there any "perks" a bank may offer married couple when opening a joint account? (dumb question)
Banks really don't care about your marital status.

It seems obvious your motivation is USCIS and their policies of treating people like criminals until proven otherwise. To that end - they're not really stupid. If you open an account just before your AOS interview and you go in there with one bank statement that is recently dated, you run the risk of being asked for additional, older statements - to prove that you have a long-standing financial relationship. If you can't present those, your application may be nicked. Maybe not likely, but possible. Just something to consider. I wouldn't #### around shopping around for banks - go out and do it today (and it really doesn't matter which one) and hope for the best. Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

It seems obvious your motivation is USCIS and their policies of treating people like criminals until proven otherwise. To that end - they're not really stupid. If you open an account just before your AOS interview and you go in there with one bank statement that is recently dated, you run the risk of being asked for additional, older statements - to prove that you have a long-standing financial relationship. If you can't present those, your application may be nicked. Maybe not likely, but possible. Just something to consider.

Yeah, this is exactly what we're worried about. Although we have a fairly good explanation as to why it's taken us this long, they probably could care less. *sigh*

As of:

June 26, 2012 - The Hubbs received his 10-year Permanent Residency Card (aka THE Greencard) in the mail today!

At long last, this highly stressful leg of our journey has come to a close - for now - and we couldn't be more grateful and appreciative for all the tremendous help and support here on VJ! Without VisaJourney I doubt we would be where my husband and I are today! Thanks to all!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Yeah, this is exactly what we're worried about. Although we have a fairly good explanation as to why it's taken us this long, they probably could care less. *sigh*

So stop focusing on what you DON'T have... and focus on what you DO have in the way of evidence of a valid relationship. There are lots of married couples who don't have joint bank accounts for one reason or another. This isn't something that will cause you to be rejected.

What evidence DO you have?? Are you listed together on auto insurance? Medical insurance? As beneficieries on each others life insurance, 401(k), IRA, etc? You're listed together on leases or mortgage agreements? You both have the same address on your driver's licenses? You have photos (as well as boarding passes, hotel receipts, etc) of the two of you on vacations together? Photos of the two of you with other family members? etc, etc, etc,......

If you have evidence of a valid relationship, the lack of a joint bank account isn't going to matter.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
So stop focusing on what you DON'T have... and focus on what you DO have in the way of evidence of a valid relationship.
That's a good point. We didn't have any evidence that we were actually living together. No rental agreements, no mortgage documents - just some common name bills sent to our PO Box. The whole way through the process, I keep thinking it would be a problem, but no one ever flagged it as noteworthy (I had a ton of other evidence). Passport expected in the mail any day now.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everyone!

My husband, Vasya, and I must open a joint bank account ASAP since we have our AOS interview on doomsday September 11 (they just had to schedule us for that date, go figure :unsure: ). We shouldn't have left this 'til the last minute...

To start off, we just need a simple, easy to open, minimal-cost joint savings and/or checking account (or similar).

- So
, which banking institution (FDIC insured, of course) do
you
think would be the best fit for us?

Ok, thanks for whatever help anyone has to give!

:star::star::star:

CREDIT UNION. Nuff said.

Since

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2008-08-21

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-08-29

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-01-26

NVC Received : 2009-02-02

NVC Left : 2009-02-09

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-02-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-07-16

Visa Received : 2009-07-22

US Entry : 2009-08-11

Marriage : 2009-08-21

Comments : She recived the first notice from Manila on Valentines day. Perfect timing.

The first setback came during the medical. Naty had to do the 3 day sputum and then we waited 2 months for the results. YESSSS>came back negative

Went for her interview on July 16th and received her Pink Slip......Finally. Paid the AIR21 and I expect her here August 10th, 2009. Marriage will be August 21st, exactly 4 years to the day that we first met.

I would NOT get a joint account this close to the interview date just for the purpose of the interview. If you've been handling finances a certain way for a while now, continue to do so and if they ask why then tell them the truth!

There's absolutely no reason to have a joint account anyway. We opened one pretty early on (for the purpose of having one to show as "proof") and truth be told, it took my wife about two-and-a-half years to even deposit any money in it. She's only now to the point where she's starting to "get it" when it comes to how finances work here in the U.S. When we went to the interview we had maby about $28 in the account and USCIS could've cared less. They were much more interested in looking at pictures and "proof" that we lived together - things like the rental agreement and joint loan on our car and insurance, etc.

If you really wanna "prove" your love to the interviewing officer, just have a genuine argument in the office. Nothing shows true love like a pissed off wife!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife and I had been married for more than three years and she had lived here in the States for more than two years when we had the AOS interview. At that time, we had nothing jointly in our names except for our marriage certificate. She didn't even have her SSN yet. The interviewer asked one question about it, and I told him that I just hadn't done it yet because I didn't see any necessity. She was approved for her 10-year green card that day.

By the way, she now has her SSN, bank accounts, driver's license, etc. But, evidently, all that stuff wasn't too important for the AOS interviewer.

from Andrew

I would NOT get a joint account this close to the interview date just for the purpose of the interview. If you've been handling finances a certain way for a while now, continue to do so and if they ask why then tell them the truth!

There's absolutely no reason to have a joint account anyway. We opened one pretty early on (for the purpose of having one to show as "proof") and truth be told, it took my wife about two-and-a-half years to even deposit any money in it. She's only now to the point where she's starting to "get it" when it comes to how finances work here in the U.S. When we went to the interview we had maby about $28 in the account and USCIS could've cared less. They were much more interested in looking at pictures and "proof" that we lived together - things like the rental agreement and joint loan on our car and insurance, etc.

If you really wanna "prove" your love to the interviewing officer, just have a genuine argument in the office. Nothing shows true love like a pissed off wife!

Thanks for your advice, Slim, and everyone else too! :star:

We've wanted to open a joint bank account all along - just haven't gotten there yet, among other reasons - one being his unfamiliarity with our banking system and not wanting to put a bunch of $$ into something he felt a little ignorant about. Besides, who doesn't have some distrust towards the banks these days? Multiply that distrust by 5 and you get an idea of how a Russian feels about banks in general... ;) As you touched upon, the American financial system differs greatly from the one Vasya is accustomed to, so he's been educating himself tirelessly on the subject. Now that he feels comfortable enough with his "American financial knowledge", we decided it was time to open that savings account

Our purpose for having a joint account has never been solely based on the upcoming AOS interview, despite what USCIS may think otherwise. It is based upon us wanting to plan our future together - to show our loyalty and love of one another, esp. in the long haul, for the rest of our lives. Since that is what the real purpose is, we will just go ahead start our savings account tomorrow, even though the proximity to the interview date is so close. We won't make a big deal of it at the interview, though. If they begin questioning our intentions behind having opened the account so close to the interview date, we'll simply tell them the truth, of course, and, believe me, I am prepared to put up a good argument if they appear in doubt!

Plus, we have massive amounts of pictures together, he's on the lease, we have a pool membership together, AT&T family account together, utility bills, etc. We plan on getting our parents and mutual friends to state on paper that our marriage is bonafide and so forth...

Edited by anka

As of:

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

My wife and I had been married for more than three years and she had lived here in the States for more than two years when we had the AOS interview. At that time, we had nothing jointly in our names except for our marriage certificate. She didn't even have her SSN yet. The interviewer asked one question about it, and I told him that I just hadn't done it yet because I didn't see any necessity. She was approved for her 10-year green card that day.

By the way, she now has her SSN, bank accounts, driver's license, etc. But, evidently, all that stuff wasn't too important for the AOS interviewer.

Good to know!

Vasya has his SSN, is getting his state ID tomorrow, and we already have a bunch of other materials that should prove our bonafide marriage. I think just being completely honest about everything, like you were, is the most important factor.

Do you think because your wife had already lived in the US for 2+ years, could've played an important role in her GC approval? Maybe this is entirely baseless, though - just curious as to what your thoughts are on this. :)

Edited by anka

As of:

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Vasya has his SSN, is getting his state ID tomorrow, and we already have a bunch of other materials that should prove our bonafide marriage. I think just being completely honest about everything, like you were, is the most important factor.

Do you think because your wife had already lived in the US for 2+ years, could've played an important role in her GC approval? Maybe this is entirely baseless, though - just curious as to what your thoughts are on this. :)

Probably her being here 2+ years was key, but I don't really know how important it was. Our interviewer called us back together, not separately as I have heard that some interviewers do. My wife and I hold hands alot, and we openly communicate alot. Maybe our posture and communication was important. In any event, it sounds to me as if you your spouse have enough proof available. I suggest you take what information you have, and try not to sweat it too much.

from Andrew

She didn't even have her SSN yet.

You didn't claim her on your taxes?

We plan on getting our parents and mutual friends to state on paper that our marriage is bonafide and so forth...

That shouldn't be necessary. Sounds like you have more than enough stuff already and getting your parents to sign off is akin to "my mom said he could stay" and as much as we all like your mom, she has no bearing on USCIS and the whole immigration process. Stick with what you have, it should be plenty.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Don't sweat it, too often people get consumed with accumulating a sheer mass of evidence - if your marriage is bonafide you'll have nothing to worry about. FWIW, my wife and I didn't get around to putting her name on our checking account until after AOS, the only thing our AOS interviewer asked was the date of our marriage and if she had an EAD card (which he confiscated since it was no longer necessary). We were one of only a few couples who didn't have a lawyer with us (and listening to the lawyers coaching their clients 5 minutes before their scheduled interviews to be sure they had their stories/names/dates in synch was sad but comforting). It will be over before you even know it.

08.24.06 - I-129F sent to VSC

08.30.06 - NOA1

09.01.06 - NOA1 snail mail

09.09.06 - touched

09.15.06 - NAO2 approval via email

09.19.06 - NVC receives package

09.20.06 - NAO2 snail mail

09.26.06 - NVC mails package to US Embassy in Moscow

10.03.06 - Consolate receives package

10.17.06 - Interview prep package received by fiancee

12.12.06 - Approved!

12.16.06 - Picked up visa from DHL office in Moscow

12.20.06 - POE JFK, just in time for the holidays...

02.10.07 - Married, viva Las Vegas!

04.02.07 - AOS mailed

04.10.07 - AOS NAO1 received

05.03.07 - Biometrics @ Varick St., Manhattan

06.05.07 - Request to Appear for Initial Interview received (interview date: July 31)

06.25.07 - EAD card received

06.28.07 - AP document received (thanks for nothin', she'll have her green card before her travel date!)

07.31.07 - Initial interview a breeze!

08.13.07 - Green card arrives in the mail

Probably her being here 2+ years was key, but I don't really know how important it was. Our interviewer called us back together, not separately as I have heard that some interviewers do. My wife and I hold hands alot, and we openly communicate alot. Maybe our posture and communication was important. In any event, it sounds to me as if you your spouse have enough proof available. I suggest you take what information you have, and try not to sweat it too much.

Cool, thanks. I'll work on not sweating it too much. :star:

Hopefully our interviewer will be like yours and see that we communicate with one another extremely well and are ultimately in love - afterall, these qualities should be the most important deciding-factor as to whether one's marriage is bonafide or not, you know? And, of course, the marriage certificate...

Edited by anka

As of:

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.