David-and-Mae

Computer problem

30 posts in this topic

Ok, here's the problem... Whenever I turn the computer on, everything works fine but the monitor. It only stays on for about a second and then it turns black, as in nothing to see even though the power button is obviously on. Whenever I would turn the power (of the monitor) off then turn it back on, same thing happens, you can see the screen for a second then black again. And then everytime I would do that, before it turns black on me, I could see that the "Monitor Status" was popped up on the screen. It's really frustrating especially when you feel like the problem was simple enough and yet you can't figure out what was wrong (at least this is how I feel :blush::blush::blush: ). I tried to unplug all the cables and then plugged them back hoping it's just some loose connections but even that didn't help make the monitor work. I called a friend and he said we probably need a new monitor (???).

Do we really need to replace the monitor (it's only 3 years old) or there's something I'm missing to make it run again? Please help!!!

BTW, I'm using our notebook to post this but we need the main pc because I have all my immigration stuff there and also my husband cannot access his mail since we didn't have an Outlook on this one (and he is also not fond of small keyboard).

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Ok, here's the problem... Whenever I turn the computer on, everything works fine but the monitor. It only stays on for about a second and then it turns black, as in nothing to see even though the power button is obviously on. Whenever I would turn the power (of the monitor) off then turn it back on, same thing happens, you can see the screen for a second then black again. And then everytime I would do that, before it turns black on me, I could see that the "Monitor Status" was popped up on the screen. It's really frustrating especially when you feel like the problem was simple enough and yet you can't figure out what was wrong (at least this is how I feel :blush::blush::blush: ). I tried to unplug all the cables and then plugged them back hoping it's just some loose connections but even that didn't help make the monitor work. I called a friend and he said we probably need a new monitor (???).

Do we really need to replace the monitor (it's only 3 years old) or there's something I'm missing to make it run again? Please help!!!

BTW, I'm using our notebook to post this but we need the main pc because I have all my immigration stuff there and also my husband cannot access his mail since we didn't have an Outlook on this one (and he is also not fond of small keyboard).

I have to agree with your friend, but if you want to be certain attach your monitor to another computer and see if it does the same. If it works, it is probably your video card. If it doesn't, time to make a trip to your local computer store.

I used to work for a large computer manufacturer (whose name will remain nameless), but monitor's are considered a commodity item. 3 years is an average life cycle for these components.

Good Luck,

Dave

Attach the monitor to your notebook - see if the problem persists.

Could be a few things:

• Monitor's do go bad
  • Not attached all the way
  • Power settings in windows
  • Graphics card issues

We are thinking about taking the monitor to our neighbor's house and see if it will work there. Otherwise we'll probably take that trip to the store and get a new monitor. :wacko: Thanks, guys...

P.S. What I don't understand is last Monday, when I was poking around and checking things, the "monitor status" box was not there when I turned the monitor on and it worked fine. The next day, it's all black again like it's on a sleep mode, which is not. So, ever since Monday, it has not been working. :wacko:

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

Does anybody know how to stop this "Monitor Status" from popping up? It seems like it's the one that's causing the problem. Here's the picture of it... it's not very clear since I had to hurry before the screen goes black on me.

100_2067-1.jpg

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Does anybody know how to stop this "Monitor Status" from popping up? It seems like it's the one that's causing the problem. Here's the picture of it... it's not very clear since I had to hurry before the screen goes black on me.

100_2067-1.jpg

on a guess, it looks like the monitor settings may need to be changed. was anyone messing with the buttons on the monitor lately?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

The Monitor Status (am sure you already know) isn't the OS/Windows - it is on the monitor itself. Perhaps a button is stuck or maybe there is some sort of reset function. It should not (obviously) be continually popping up.

100_2067-1.jpg

on a guess, it looks like the monitor settings may need to be changed. was anyone messing with the buttons on the monitor lately?

I already changed the settings to what is recommended and I did it by turning on and off the monitor's power button since I can only see the screen for a second then nothing. Still, not working. ARGH!

The Monitor Status (am sure you already know) isn't the OS/Windows - it is on the monitor itself. Perhaps a button is stuck or maybe there is some sort of reset function. It should not (obviously) be continually popping up.

I know... that's why I thought the monitor is probably broken. But then I know that it would not come on at all if it is, right? The thing is, that monitor status is always there whenever I would turn it on and off.

I know it's pretty hard to explain things since I cannot really show here what's going on so we have decided to contact a tech, which won't be available until next weekend.

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Try updating the driver to your graphics card.

It may be a conflict with the driver and your monitor.

If the driver is already updated, try Google the make and model of your monitor and your graphics card together - see if there are any compatibility issues.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Try updating the driver to your graphics card.

It may be a conflict with the driver and your monitor.

If the driver is already updated, try Google the make and model of your monitor and your graphics card together - see if there are any compatibility issues.

or that might be the problem - maybe a driver rollback?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

You can also try a system restore back to a point before the problem started. The display notification could also be coming from a setting in the bios.

Edited by ={Rogue}=

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Timeline

Check the power saving settings on your monitor, and also your desktop properties. Sometimes if the monitor does not "sense" enough output from your video card, the monitor shuts down. Could be your video card is going bad, or overheating. Make sure it's firmly plugged into its slot, and the air flow is good over the card.

Edited by Mister_Bill

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

DO you hear any beeps when you power it up?

You can try a differnt Video card. How old is your computer

on display properties may be set out of the monitor range.

best try to see if it beeps and which bios you have.

if you have any beep on the let me know what it sound like. IE Long beep then short short long.. something like that

Yogi

Edited by yogib37

Timeline

Also get a flashlight and try to use it on the screen (may have to angle it every which way) and see if you are able to see the screen even faintly. If so then you have bad capacitors probably. If that fails then try to get to the BIOs for the split second it is on and see if that is possible. Also my brother had this problem once and after degaussing it it worked fine.

Best bet would be to take it and tr the monitor on another puter and see if that works or get another monitor and try it on your puter. If another monitor fails to work on the puter then it is probably the card or the chord has been damaged somehow.

Forgot to add that there is a nasty malware that can do this to the monitor.