Steve S

How often to call VSC about missing case status?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I have a May 4th NOA-1, K-1 visa. I still get the following message on the USCIS website:

"Your case can not be found at this time in Case Status Online. Please check your receipt number and try again. If you need further assistance, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1.800.375.5283."

I called the number at the end of May. The first person on the phone couldn't see the status either but they forwarded the call to a case officer who was able to see my case was in their queue. She said that the computer tracking system lagged behind "a month or so", and there was no cause for worry. I called earlier this week -- same drill, the second person on the phone assured me my file was there and that the online case status reporting system had nothing to do with the processing time for my case. He did say he was going to e-mail the appropriate person and try to have my case number inputted to the tracking system. A few days later, still the same error message.

I have read of other filers who never were able to view their case status, but received their NOA-2's without any other incident or delay. Obviously I would feel better if the system would recognize my EAC number.

How often should I call the VSC about this issue? I definitely don't want to get on anyone's nerves there. Any other suggestions from other filers about what they would do or have done in this situation?

05/04/09 -- K1 visa, NOA-1

09/18/09 -- K1, NOA-2

01/26/09 -- Interview passed in Moscow

03/02/10 -- POE, JFK airport

05/23/10 -- Wedding!

11/16/10 -- 2-year green card approved

04/01/13 -- 10-year green card approved

11/23/13 -- N-400 mailed

Unfortunately the online case status is all too often, unreliable - you already know your case is in the system and is being processed in the order which it was received (more or less) - am not sure I'd call that often - if it makes you feel better, perhaps once a week or so.. Otherwise just hang in there.. :thumbs:

Edited by Otto und Karin

I also would not bother to call at all. The online case status is useless. And in most cases, so is calling the DISservice center.

I feel for you - being able to obsessively check status online scratches that itch - but believe me, too often it isn't at all an indicator of what's going on with your case. We got our approval without any touches or emails. What good is it if you can't count on it?!

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

USCIS posted an update on August 6 about case status inquiries: http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/SCOPS%20Update%20Final0810.pdf

I'd suggest following this new procedure. First step would be to get the NCSC representative's name/ID number, ask them to take a service request and get a referral number.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have a May 4th NOA-1, K-1 visa. I still get the following message on the USCIS website:

"Your case can not be found at this time in Case Status Online. Please check your receipt number and try again. If you need further assistance, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1.800.375.5283."

I called the number at the end of May. The first person on the phone couldn't see the status either but they forwarded the call to a case officer who was able to see my case was in their queue. She said that the computer tracking system lagged behind "a month or so", and there was no cause for worry. I called earlier this week -- same drill, the second person on the phone assured me my file was there and that the online case status reporting system had nothing to do with the processing time for my case. He did say he was going to e-mail the appropriate person and try to have my case number inputted to the tracking system. A few days later, still the same error message.

I have read of other filers who never were able to view their case status, but received their NOA-2's without any other incident or delay. Obviously I would feel better if the system would recognize my EAC number.

How often should I call the VSC about this issue? I definitely don't want to get on anyone's nerves there. Any other suggestions from other filers about what they would do or have done in this situation?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The online system is worthless. My wife has been here a year and our case says "pending". Yours may never be updated. Stop calling. You will get no further information. Stop looking at the online system, it is and always has been a waste of time. You can put no value in what it says...good or bad.

You arer well within the processing time for the VSC and have no reason for concern until at least November. If you hear nothing by then, call back for the next line of BS.

I recommend never calling USCIS if at all possible. If it will save the life of a child or something...then I guess it is worth your time.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Gary, while your cynicism is justified, it's also based on experience that's over a year old and not getting any newer. Please keep that in mind when you're weighing in.

USCIS does seem to be trying to implement more accountability and accuracy in their customer service process (witness the August 6 update describing the new procedures). How well it works remains to be seen, but is it asking too much to reserve judgment until people have a chance to actually try out the new system?

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

the sudden change in uscis maybe because of the recent ombudsman teleconference, as well as ALOT of constituants getting in touch with their congressman.

i would have to agree with Gary on this one..the misinformation line is at best useless and a waste of time. they have a script of specific things to say to ppl and they are told not to stray from it at all. Even the supervisors have the same rules according to the abjudicators manual. Until you are past your processing date there is nothing you can do and even your congressmen / senator will tell you this.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Gary, while your cynicism is justified, it's also based on experience that's over a year old and not getting any newer. Please keep that in mind when you're weighing in.

USCIS does seem to be trying to implement more accountability and accuracy in their customer service process (witness the August 6 update describing the new procedures). How well it works remains to be seen, but is it asking too much to reserve judgment until people have a chance to actually try out the new system?

No, not asking too much. I look forward to hearing all the good results, in fact the "Visa timelines" subforum is just full of happy tales about the USCIS customer service department, why not just refer the OP there. I am sure they will reverse the trend and start to offer responsive and accurate customer service despite the fact they have no competition in the business and no incentive to do so...but we see such improvement in other government agencies all the time...like...like..uh, help me out here, there must be a government agency with no competition that has improved ...um...I'll get back to you...

I KNOW!!! Post office! Oops, nope. They HAVE competition and still haven't improved and now their boss, Lord Obama, is using them as a BAD example vs, Fedex and UPS. Hmmm, maybe Fedex should do visas!

I'll keep trying...at least you made Alla laugh.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't see mine either and I have an NOA1 date of May 5th. We called once to change the beneficiary's home address and had to speak to a second person who could see our file when the first one couldn't. I'm not too worried about it but I was hoping that updating the address would get it entered into the system but apparently not. We'll probably call back in the next week to make sure the address was updated and leave it at that.

K-1 Journey

04/30/2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

03/30/2010 - Interview @ MTL APPROVED!

04/13/2010 - POE @ Pearson International

05/23/2010 - WEDDING

AOS Journey

07/20/2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Sent

07/21/2010 - package received at Chicago

07/28/2010 - check cashed

07/30/2010 - received NOA1 in mail

08/01/2010 - received biometrics letter

08/20/2010 - walk in biometrics completed

08/23/2010 - finally entered into USCIS online -AP's touched on Aug11 and EAD and AOS touched on Aug20 08/30/2010 - AOS/EAD touched

09/09/2010 - AP approved (email notice)

09/13/2010 - Received email that EAD was approved on Sept 10

10/04/2010 - Received interview letter in Mail

11/09/2010 - Interview-APPROVED! 112 days

11/09/2010 - Card Production 11/22/2010 - Green Card received

ROC Journey

08/11/2012 - Eligible to file for ROC10/11/2012 - sent in I-751 (late)10/16/2012 - received NOA 11/20/2012 - biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you, little mermaid. It is reassuring somehow that we are in the same boat, and that others have posted that they received their NOA-2's on schedule without ever being able to view their case status online.

05/04/09 -- K1 visa, NOA-1

09/18/09 -- K1, NOA-2

01/26/09 -- Interview passed in Moscow

03/02/10 -- POE, JFK airport

05/23/10 -- Wedding!

11/16/10 -- 2-year green card approved

04/01/13 -- 10-year green card approved

11/23/13 -- N-400 mailed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.