7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here's our situation:

my husband got his State ID back in March. On may 4th, we went to U.S. Bank so I can add him to my accounts. Bank denies him because his State ID was noted to expire on May 22nd. Went to B of A, and the same thing. So when we got our AOS NOA on may 26th, we ran down to DMV to have his State ID renewed and even wanted to get his Driver's license (we've been practicing :whistle: ). However, DMV denied and said Receipt Notice/AOS NOA is not valid document to renew. they need a Green Card to do it. As a result of all this drama, all we have got for our AOS interview are:

1. Wedding pictures and marriage documents

2. American family life insurance beneficiary

3. I-693 medical (will be going to the doc tomorrow for this)

all other documents required have been submitted except for these, which, we don't have:

1. car insurance policy

2. health insurance (company wouldn't let me add him until enrollment time in december)

Now I found out from a friend yesterday that you could try (depends on who you talk to at DMV) to renew your State/Drirver's license with your EAD as supporting document). :blink: Now i'm confused on what to do.

Should I call and reschedule our interview so we can (a)I go down to DMV, renew his ID Card, (b)get him added on my bank account and car insurance? or just go to the interview and tell the IO why we don't have much evidence with us and show him (a)the denial letters from the banks, (b)and his expired state ID

Our interview is coming up (Aug 17th) and i'm really freaking out.

June 2007 ---------------------------Met online thru yahoo philippines chat

April 2008 ---------------------------Met my fiance, up close and in person!

September 26, 2008 -------------- Sent I-129F Package

September 28, 2008 -------------- USCIS received petition

September 29, 2008 -------------- NOA1 Hardcopy received

NO TOUCHES

January 12, 2009 ------------------ PETITION APPROVED

January 14, 2009 ------------------ NVC Received

January 16, 2009 ------------------ NVC left for manila

January 16, 2009 ------------------ NOA2 Hardcopy received

January 21, 2009 ------------------ Got MNL case number and scheduled interview

February 4 & 6, 2009 --------------Medical (PASSED)

February 12, 2009 -----------------Interview PASSED! Thank GOd

February 19, 2009 -----------------VISA received

February 20, 2009 -----------------CFO Seminar

February 21, 2009 -----------------POE Los Angeles

March 3, 2009-----------------------filed at Social Security local Office

March 13, 2009----------------------received Social Security Card

March 18, 2009----------------------applied and received marriage license

April 11, 2009-----------------------got married!

May 18, 2008------------------------AOS packet sent

May 26, 2009------------------------AOS & EAD NOA received

June 17, 2009-----------------------Biometrics Appointment

July 8, 2009-------------------------EAD card production ordered

July 17, 2009------------------------received EAD card

August 17,2009---------------------AOS Interview, Las Vegas USCIS Office APPROVED!!!

August 27, 2009--------------------G.C. received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't reschedule your interview - the request may not 'take' and if you don't go believing it has been cancelled and isn't, your application can be denied. USCIS is notorious for not cancelling interview for rescheduling even after saying they have.

Take the evidence you have with you - you are showing that you have tried to comply with getting evidence but because of requirements are limited in what you can do. Yes, EAD can most likely be used for getting state identification and DL, (although you should check with the actual requirements for your State) and you may also have been able to add him to your BoA accounts using his passport and EAD, or use the new state ID that you get with the EAD.. If he has an EAD you have time this week to try and get him onto your bank accounts and to get him a new state ID.

You should be fine for the AOS appointment. At the very worst they may give you an RFE to send them bank information, etc. using the EAD. Be sure to take the information to show you can't add him to your health plan until the next open enrollment period.

Good luck at your interview.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

If he`s got his EAD - that`s all you need to renew his State ID or get a DL. That`s what I did. Go ahead and make an appointment if there`s still time. You can still open a joint bank account and add him to your insurance and bills.

As for your interview.. if you can`t get car insurance , bills in both your names and stuff like that, you could at least get a couple of affidavits from friends and family. we didn`t have much either... All we had was a bank statement, a couple of affidavits and my husband`s IRA with me as a beneficiary.. and some pictures. That`s it. We did just fine.

Sometime in 11/2006 --- Met online

09/26/2008 --- Got married

04/03/2009 --- AOS package sent

07/13/2009 --- Interview in Detroit,MI. Approved!!!

07/25/2009 --- GC received! Total: 3 months 12 days from NOA1 to GC mailboxhappy.gif

05/17/2011 --- ROC package sent

05/25/2011 --- NOA1 received

06/27/2011 --- Biometrics

10/17/2011 --- Approved! confetti.gif

10/21/2011 --- Received Permanent GC

If he`s got his EAD - that`s all you need to renew his State ID or get a DL. That`s what I did. Go ahead and make an appointment if there`s still time. You can still open a joint bank account and add him to your insurance and bills.

As for your interview.. if you can`t get car insurance , bills in both your names and stuff like that, you could at least get a couple of affidavits from friends and family. we didn`t have much either... All we had was a bank statement, a couple of affidavits and my husband`s IRA with me as a beneficiary.. and some pictures. That`s it. We did just fine.

:thumbs:

Try with the EAD.

Affidavits can help too, I know you're cutting it close time wise but they should be notarized. Where are you living? Are you on the same lease or mortgage? If not, could he be added? Do you have any mail at all coming to the same address, addressed to either one of you or both? It would be good to show you're living at the same address.

24q38dy.jpg

You can easily get DL with a valid EAD. Don't freak out, because your husband has been adjusting from K1.

Even without an EAD, you can easily add your husband to your bank account by showing his passport & your marriage certificate too. I do not understand what the problems are in your state.

I went to an interview last week, first document she (IO) asked from us, Joint Tax Return. Along with this I have showed Court Marriage Certificate, Church Marriage Certificate, Joint Health Insurance, Joint Bank Account & Miscellaneous Pictures.

You will be fine, don't worry about it. Interview is not what you think, it is not scary at all. It was like documents exchanging between us. She hasn't studied my file very well, so I was trying to help her out. She has also made a couple of mistakes that I have corrected her. My case hasn't been a straight-forward one or she is gong to RFE me that is why we haven't approved on the spot. I am sure she is going to ask our situation to a supervisor.

Good Luck @ the interview.

Edited by Cino

"Patience is the key to the paradise (US Citizenship, in our case)"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We rent a house with 3 other people and they all agreed to sign an affidavit that we're both living together. And yes, he has a bunch of postal mail from the banks (most, if not all, denial letters) we're going to DMV to get his ID renewed so I can add him to my existing bank account... if only i had known this earlier. :wacko:

Thanks for the replies guys!

June 2007 ---------------------------Met online thru yahoo philippines chat

April 2008 ---------------------------Met my fiance, up close and in person!

September 26, 2008 -------------- Sent I-129F Package

September 28, 2008 -------------- USCIS received petition

September 29, 2008 -------------- NOA1 Hardcopy received

NO TOUCHES

January 12, 2009 ------------------ PETITION APPROVED

January 14, 2009 ------------------ NVC Received

January 16, 2009 ------------------ NVC left for manila

January 16, 2009 ------------------ NOA2 Hardcopy received

January 21, 2009 ------------------ Got MNL case number and scheduled interview

February 4 & 6, 2009 --------------Medical (PASSED)

February 12, 2009 -----------------Interview PASSED! Thank GOd

February 19, 2009 -----------------VISA received

February 20, 2009 -----------------CFO Seminar

February 21, 2009 -----------------POE Los Angeles

March 3, 2009-----------------------filed at Social Security local Office

March 13, 2009----------------------received Social Security Card

March 18, 2009----------------------applied and received marriage license

April 11, 2009-----------------------got married!

May 18, 2008------------------------AOS packet sent

May 26, 2009------------------------AOS & EAD NOA received

June 17, 2009-----------------------Biometrics Appointment

July 8, 2009-------------------------EAD card production ordered

July 17, 2009------------------------received EAD card

August 17,2009---------------------AOS Interview, Las Vegas USCIS Office APPROVED!!!

August 27, 2009--------------------G.C. received

Don't reschedule your interview - the request may not 'take' and if you don't go believing it has been cancelled and isn't, your application can be denied. USCIS is notorious for not cancelling interview for rescheduling even after saying they have.

I heard this too. After putting in a request to reschedule we went to the field office for an infopass appointment. We got the interview actually moved up a week, and the letter produced while we waited. The phone line is absolutely unreliable. Definitely go to the interview with what you have, or go to the office (if you can) to reschedule, but don't use the phone request.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.