14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi,

we got married yesterday and we went to a Social Security office today to apply for the SS card, but the lady there told us that since my status has changed from K1 to K3 after the marriage, she can't start proceeding our case and that we first have to contact the Immigration Services. But as far as I know, my status hasn't changed and all I need to apply for a SS card is a I-94, my passport with the K1 visa and our marriage license (to show that I have a different family name now). So what should we do?

Thank you in advance!

Kate

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hi,

we got married yesterday and we went to a Social Security office today to apply for the SS card, but the lady there told us that since my status has changed from K1 to K3 after the marriage, she can't start proceeding our case and that we first have to contact the Immigration Services. But as far as I know, my status hasn't changed and all I need to apply for a SS card is a I-94, my passport with the K1 visa and our marriage license (to show that I have a different family name now). So what should we do?

Thank you in advance!

Kate

You are right and the SSA lady is wrong. She clearly doesn't have a clue about immigration. Go back and ask to talk to someone else or a supervisor.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Hi,

Thank you in advance!

Kate

Once you are married you must wait until you receive your EAD to apply for ssn...just the way it is. Sometimes even those that apply within 2 weeks of I-94 expiration get turned away. File you AOS and apply as soon as you receive EAD.

Good Luck

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Hi,

Thank you in advance!

Kate

Never heard of this before! I remember when i came i used passport and I-94 to apply for SSN then later changed my name using marriage cert. I believe VJ members from California know better.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Once you are married you must wait until you receive your EAD to apply for ssn...just the way it is.

Where did you get this information? This sounds highly dubious. All you need to apply for an SSN is a valid I-94 after entering with a K1, and your I-94 is not invalidated by a marriage.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, please go back to the SSN and ask to speak with a Supervisor if they say that you cannot get a SSN based on getting married.

The I-94 is what they base your status on. Being married doesn't change anything. They tried to tell me that too, but then the Supervisor cleared things up and my application was processed.

They did tell me that they would have to verify my status with immigration and it would take 4-6 weeks, but I ended up getting my SSN in about 8 business days.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

See if you can find a print out for requirements needed by K1 to apply for SSN, print it out and take it to the SSA. The official there was wrong about your status change.

Everything you should need can be found here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn

This SSA clerk is definitely incorrect by saying your status changed - that would be impossible. A supervisor should clear things up.

Once you are married you must wait until you receive your EAD to apply for ssn...just the way it is.

Where did you get this information? This sounds highly dubious. All you need to apply for an SSN is a valid I-94 after entering with a K1, and your I-94 is not invalidated by a marriage.

You are correct I don't know why I assumed the I-94 had expired. My answer was in relation to the I-94 expiring so please disregard it.

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

My fiance and I went into the SS office - with his passport and I 94- although we had just finished applying for a marriage license but not yet married because we haven't had our ceremony yet... the SS office said, she needs to create a SSN for my fiance and then she gave us a receipt and said, the SSN will be mailed to us in 2-3 weeks.

In your case, it really doesn't make sense. You should be able to get a SSN as long as your I94 is not expired.

Timeline:

2/18/2009: Mailed I-129F Form

2/20/2009: NOA 1 Receipt Date

3/20/2009: NOA 2 Notice Approval Date

05/28/2009: Interview APPROVED

7/22/2009 --POE (LAX)-- We are together forever <3

AOS Journey Begins Here ^------^

7/28/2009 -- Applied for SSN & Registered for Marriage License

8/3/2009 -- Civil Ceremony

8/5/2009 -- Received Marriage Certificate via Express Mail. Pass DMV Written Exam & Received Permit

08/11/2009-- Mailed AOS to Chicago, IL

08/17/2009 -- Check clears $1010 USCIS

8/20/2009- Touched ^---^

8/21/2009-- NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765 Hard Copy

08/29/2009-- Received Biometrics Appointment Letter in the mail, dated 08/26

09/03/2009 -- Early Walk In Biometrics Appt (Original Date 09/23)

09/04/2009 -- Touched ^---^

09/29/2009 -- EAD Card Production

10/07/2009 -- EAD Card Received

10/16/2009 AOS I-485 Interview in Los Angeles(APPROVED)

10/28/2009 -- GC in HAND <3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I arrive here in New Mexico on June 22, 2009 on the following day June 23, together with my fiance, i applied for SS Card. I presented the passport, I-94 and birth certificate. After 10 days i received the SS card. Now we got married on July 1,2009 so again we went to SS admin to aplly for the change of my family name with my new family name. I presented the Passport, I-94 and Marriage license...there i was given the card after 10 days.

There's no need to wait for EAD approval before you can apply for SS card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Everyone that says you should be able to get a SOCIAL SECURITY CARD after marriage is wrong.

The Clerk is corrent so NOW everyone ... don't tell them or show them a MARRIAGE license I have said this for months.

And after you do your AOS and get your Green Card take it to the Social Security Office and Get your name changed.

SEE THE GUIDES here on VJ get SSNO 2 weeks after arriving in the country NOT after you are married.

I have dealt with about a 1/2 dozen in my area on this .. 1/2 dont believe me until they go to the Social Security Office.

Sorry to here of you frustration though.

Don't worry TIME with correct this and life will go on.

ROSIE and DAVID

single 15 years married 5 months ....now I know what peaks and valleys are in life. LOVE my wife hehehe

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Everyone that says you should be able to get a SOCIAL SECURITY CARD after marriage is wrong.

The Clerk is corrent so NOW everyone ... don't tell them or show them a MARRIAGE license I have said this for months.

And after you do your AOS and get your Green Card take it to the Social Security Office and Get your name changed.

SEE THE GUIDES here on VJ get SSNO 2 weeks after arriving in the country NOT after you are married.

I have dealt with about a 1/2 dozen in my area on this .. 1/2 dont believe me until they go to the Social Security Office.

ROSIE and DAVID

Nope ... the clerk is wrong... the OP's visa status did not change from K-1 to K-3 as a result of a marriage. This is not a valid reason not to make the name change on the card.

There might be other reasons (ie. I-94 about to expire) but it is NOT for the reason that was explained.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

ROSIE and DAVID

Nope ... the clerk is wrong... the OP's visa status did not change from K-1 to K-3 as a result of a marriage. This is not a valid reason not to make the name change on the card.

There might be other reasons (ie. I-94 about to expire) but it is NOT for the reason that was explained.

:thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.