KromiX

1st Time Passport Application issue: What Would You Do? (POLL)

When to Apply?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. When would you apply for it if you need it by Sept 4th?

• Send it July 27th right after invterview
    • Hold off till two weeks before and visit Passport Agency for "expedited" processing?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So as you all know, my Oath is July 27th. I am traveling Sept 8. And need my passport in my hands by Sept 4.

If it were you, and you needed it by Sept 4th, would you send it in like normal July 27th right after oath, or would you hold off and go to the Passport Agency that handles soon-to-be travelers if your leaving within 2 weeks?

Also, Miami people, do you have experience going to that passport agency? How long would it take me there and do they do same-day? (Miami Passport Agency)

usa.gifN-400 Naturalization Timeline

04/01/2009 - Sent Application via USPS Regular Mail

04/09/2009 - Check Cashed

04/13/2009 - Received NOA

04/18/2009 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

04/28/2009 - Biometrics Appointment @ 2:00 PM

05/09/2009 - Received Interview Letter Appointment

06/03/2009 - Received Yellow Letter requesting to bring Driver's License

07/02/2009 - Interview Date *APPROVED*

07/10/2009 - Oath Letter Sent Out from USCIS

07/14/2009 - Oath Appointment Letter Received

07/27/2009 - Oath Ceremony Date *COMPLETE, NOW A U.S CITIZEN!!*

07/27/2009 - Updated Records with Social Security Administration

07/27/2009 - Mailed in Application for Passport (Regular Service)

08/10/2009 - Passport Received in Hand!!!!

usa.gifLength of Process:

3 Months, 27 Days - Day 1 Mailing Date -> Oath Ceremony Date

15 Days - Passport Application Mailing -> Passport Received in Hand

Kromix, i suggest you to visit Passport Agency for "expedited" processing , i'll do so

Edited by cookiee

animated_us_flag.gifN-400 Naturalization

03/23/09 Sent N-400 to Lewisville, Texas by UPS

03/25/09 delivered

03/30/09 check cashed

03/31/09 NOA

04/03/09 Touched

04/24/09 Biometrics

07/18/09 Interview letter received

08/19/09 Interview -*APPROVED*

08/27/09 Oath date -** US CITIZEN **

09/01/09 Applied for passport

09/14/09 Passport Received !!!

Filed: Country: Austria
Timeline

Hi KromiX,

I'm not from Miami, but basically I would want to be on the safe side and not panicking/speculating if the passport makes it in time.

Just go ahead and apply for passport right away after the oath ceremony.

That's what I would do. Good luck! :star:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I applied for my passport at my local post office right after taking the oath end of April. I paid for expedited service and had my new passport in my hands a week after application. If I were you, I would do it this way because it's fairly easy.

On the website it says that expedited service takes two to three weeks. But as I said, I had my passport after just one week.

If you have a passport agency in Miami go there as soon as you have the certificate in hand (don't forget the passport pictures). I've read that here in Chicago there is one that does same day (often under 3 hrs) passports but you have to come in early to get your number in line, need the proof of travel and they also do it for the new citizens.

So, just get there and get your passport.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

For the whole twelve service centers, have to have tickets in your hand, be within two weeks of your flight, and make an appointment first. Probably not bad if you have one in town, but what if you have to travel over a thousand miles round trip to get one?

Not bad if you work for a company that wants you to be at a certain time at a certain place and they pick up the tab, been there and done that. But quite a different story when that money is coming out of your pocket, and not just you, but a couple of others.

Wife was just notified her niece is getting married and her family wants us down with only three weeks notice. After a quick search, that week would cost us $4,000.00 plus trying to get that week off. We had to just say no to that, not enough warning. With business, fully tax deductible even with playing around, for private, all post tax bucks so you are paying considerably more.

You can get things done quickly, it only takes money, and a lot of it. Money still talks in this country. Is it worth it?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
If you have a passport agency in Miami go there as soon as you have the certificate in hand (don't forget the passport pictures). I've read that here in Chicago there is one that does same day (often under 3 hrs) passports but you have to come in early to get your number in line, need the proof of travel and they also do it for the new citizens.

So your saying for new citizens they will process me regardless of not being in the 14-day Window?

usa.gifN-400 Naturalization Timeline

04/01/2009 - Sent Application via USPS Regular Mail

04/09/2009 - Check Cashed

04/13/2009 - Received NOA

04/18/2009 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

04/28/2009 - Biometrics Appointment @ 2:00 PM

05/09/2009 - Received Interview Letter Appointment

06/03/2009 - Received Yellow Letter requesting to bring Driver's License

07/02/2009 - Interview Date *APPROVED*

07/10/2009 - Oath Letter Sent Out from USCIS

07/14/2009 - Oath Appointment Letter Received

07/27/2009 - Oath Ceremony Date *COMPLETE, NOW A U.S CITIZEN!!*

07/27/2009 - Updated Records with Social Security Administration

07/27/2009 - Mailed in Application for Passport (Regular Service)

08/10/2009 - Passport Received in Hand!!!!

usa.gifLength of Process:

3 Months, 27 Days - Day 1 Mailing Date -> Oath Ceremony Date

15 Days - Passport Application Mailing -> Passport Received in Hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

So your saying for new citizens they will process me regardless of not being in the 14-day Window?

You can read all about it here, download a fillable form, learn about the photos, where your service centers are and their rules, or any of about 9,000 agents you have to personally apply with, feesm and a wild guess as to how long it takes. Talks about checking your on-line status, that never worked for us. Have a toll-free number, but be prepared to wait a couple of hours, but things are much slower now with the economy and not that rush to go to distant foreign countries, like Canada where you never needed a passport before.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I was worried getting my baby's passport was gonna take months and a friend of mine told me it would take about a week(he had just applied for his). Well, I sent off her application without the expedited service and got in in 1.5 weeks. It took a bit longer because I sent it before thanksgiving weekend. I received it first week of December of 2008. I did this in California, it might be different elsewhere. I'm not gonna expedite mine when I become a citizen in August because I still got my daughters in a good time frame.

I have generally heard on VJ that it is not worth paying for expedited service because they are processing really quickly at the moment. The passport form asks when your journey is scheduled anyway, so you can put in the date.

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.